Friday, June 10, 2011

Japan Trip Day 22: Yanaka District

Random Tenchi comment: Kitten snores are so cute. Now only if she could sleep at the same time I was sleeping so we both could be well rested....

So yes. Slowly my Japan Days are coming to a close. These days were a little bitter sweet for me as almost all of my list was accomplished yet I didn't want to leave Japan.


Photobucket

Almost getting used to the train system. XD


Up today is a walk into old Tokyo. The Yanaka District was not as affected by World War 2 so many of the old, old structures are still around. It is a great place for history buffs and people who like accidentally walking on other people's property.


Photobucket

Old buildings look really old. Except the whole car parked in front of it deal...

None of the buildings today are going to be labeled. XD Because quite frankly I don't know the names of the buildings. Or what they were (in regards if they are temples or shrines). Also I didn't even know if they were active temples and shrines or if they were people's houses...

Photobucket

Really old building. X__X It looks like it is going to crumble at any moment.


Photobucket

So many old buildings in such a small area of Tokyo.

A lot of our pictures are from the street looking in. Because after a while I was unclear if I was walking into someone's house or an active temple/shrine. And the funny thing is a Japanese tourist was walking around and it appeared that she was thinking the same thing. XD

Photobucket

I don't think the cars out front were helping our confusion.


Photobucket

Some areas were under construction...yet I could pretty much touch these things.


Photobucket

No one seemed to be around in this particular graveyard.

It is hard to get lost in the Yanaka District. Just pick a direction and start walking. Well I should say there is no particular route to follow. Because you can still see fun things and not know exactly where you are in the world. XD

Photobucket

Wait did I already use this picture or are there a lot of temples/shrines in the area?


Photobucket

More entrances because we are afraid of trespassing.


Photobucket

Top of one of the buildings. Can I have that on my roof?


Photobucket

Didn't see a lot of worshipers today which leads me to believe these aren't active worship places now.


Photobucket

Some shrines/temples were turned into nurseries which I found really weird.


Photobucket

Very interesting lawn ornament.


Photobucket

Entrance to a shopping arcade. The feel on this street was very quaint. Not as hectic as the other arcades but full of shops and interesting items to buy.


Photobucket

I could probably fill a whole blog posts with just the cute signs in this shopping arcade.


Photobucket

Actually can I just buy the sign for the store?


Photobucket

Probably shouldn't ring that.


Photobucket

Does that mean no cars or no one at all?


Photobucket

Maybe next time we go to Japan I will print out a list of stuff in the Yanaka District so I can know what I am looking at.


Photobucket

Oh look more old stuff. XD

Right near the train station was a very, VERY old cemetery. It houses some of the Tokugawa family and is a pretty sight during Cherry Blossom season. But since it was threatening to rain today we basically had the place to ourselves today.

Photobucket

Love the creepy trees.


Photobucket

In a country where land is at a premium it is nice they still keep places like this intact.


Photobucket

The husband was trying to take pictures into areas we weren't allowed into. So more trespassing?


Photobucket

A lot of pathways going...somewhere? XD


Photobucket

Was this person a gardener while they were alive?


Photobucket

Not too many statues around the cemetery.



Photobucket

After Yanaka we took a short train ride to the Ameyoko Arcade. Turns out it was on the other side of Ueno station and we are special for missing it. However almost all the stores were selling American products. I knew they had SOME but not almost all of them. But it was nice to be in such a crazy place and see all the food vendors.


Photobucket

People everywhere paying 200 yen for a single piece of watermelon.


Photobucket

Wish that was real money.

Late into our trip we realized that there is more to game stations that winning Tenchi plushies. No no you could spend loads of money on coins that could not be redeemed at all and put them into machines and hope to win more coins. YAY COIN PUSHING MACHINES!!!

Photobucket

My pictures suck because we weren't allowed to take pictures inside.

My husband and I had a great time at our coin pusher machine of choice. We weren't as pro as the Japanese who could get 10 coins in the machine at a time but still we had a ball. It was a great way to spend time and money. Also the coin pushing machines in Japan are fun as they have bonus rounds that engage you with action. Woot for the fishes.

This is about it for major Japan Day posts. The next one will be a combination of the last three days in Japan as we were wrapping things up. Hopefully that will be up tomorrow night at the latest if I am not kidnapped into more wedding stuff. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: