Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Japan Trip Day 20: Edo-Tokyo Museum and surrounding areas

I sense the new few days are going to be action packed with wedding stuff and work. So while I have the chance I shall blog as much Japan trip stuff as possible. XD While everyone is asleep though so it is much quieter this way.

My Day Trip posts are quickly coming to an end. I hope everyone is enjoying reading them. I find it fun to blog my trip and remember the fun days. As it was a million years ago. Then I will turn around and scrapebook the entire thing. I sent Walmart 1,107 pictures today. Because I am insane.

Photobucket

So not only does one need to walk everywhere and climb up stairs now they have to be strong enough to stand a bike on its front wheel. X__X

Up right now is Day 20 which consisted of the Edo-Tokyo Museum, a shrine to dead animals we think, and a few other random buildings. Enjoy!


Photobucket

A turtle is an excellent way to get where you want to go. Horses are overrated.

Before we left on our trip I read about the Edo-Tokyo Museum. I thought meh maybe if we have time and sorta left it at that. After getting a better understanding where some things were in Japan and not everything needed an entire day dedicated to them I decided we would give the museum a whirl.

Photobucket

I can't imagine knocking down one figurine. The entire thing might topple down.

Turns out the Edo-Tokyo Museum was the best museum we went to in Japan. It was very interactive and the layout wasn't very museum like. It wasn't one of those super quiet museums.

Photobucket


There were parts of the museum where you could step back in time and be apart of old Tokyo (Edo) yourself. You could pretend to be carted around like royalty or be the one carting people around. You could pretend to be a fire fighter or the person hauling the buckets. XD I make this sound like a kid museum but it was us adults having all the fun.

Photobucket

Why yes I got in this. And my husband joked he wanted to lock me inside as well.


Photobucket

Lots of screens depicting stories and life back in the day.


Photobucket

Can I take this home with me?

Another thing that made this museum really great was that almost all the signage was in English as well as Japanese. Not that anyone should expect to come to Japan and see English. I just thought it was a really nice touch and I learned so much from the museum because of that fact.

Photobucket

Huge life size models were all over the museum. So interesting to see.


Photobucket

Random statues that will eat you!!!


Photobucket

Yes can I take two?

Another feature of the museum was how some of the exhibits would change. There was a store front that would lower its curtain every 15 minutes so we could see the busy atmosphere inside. Another showed how plays would go on and how the behind the scenes stuff worked. Fly actors fly!

Photobucket



Photobucket

Tiny little models all over the place.

I loved the models they had at this museum. They really worked on bringing you back to that place in time. So busy and full of life. A hard life obviously one learns while walking around the museum but still. Yay tiny pieces of plastic.

Photobucket

Those looked super uncomfortable.

We really didn't see a bunch of school kids in this museum. There was a group or two walking around but not an entire class or school. And no one asked us the "Find the Whitey" questions so we pouted. I think those questions were just for elementary school kids anyway.

Photobucket

Can I be a fire fighter too?


Photobucket

Books for sale!

The book buying process was a big deal back in the day. What with is taking forever to make and the government banning some books it is a wonder people even wanted to read.

Photobucket

Old shop signs.


Photobucket

More comfortableness.


Photobucket

After the museum we decided to explore the surrounding areas. Of course there was a few temples and shrines here and there but that is just Japan. XD Also I am not sure which ones we went to. X__X


Photobucket

Walking around....


Photobucket

Not sure where we were exactly but it was close to the Edo Tokyo Museum.


Photobucket

Ignore the school children in the background...

This building was dedicated to those who died in the huge Earthquake of 1923. We saw the aftermath at the Edo-Tokyo Museum and it was pretty horrible. There were fresh flowers on the site which of course must be from the newest earthquake. Sad how much Japan has to go through just because of their location on Earth.

Photobucket

Not too many people hanging around here today.


Photobucket

Wanna watch fat men wrestle in thongs?

Very close by was a huge sumo arena. I am pretty sure it wasn't opened today and there was a schedule outside indicating the days of matches. Still this street was lined with stuff relating to sumo wrestling.

Photobucket

Some of these statues were rubbed for luck. Almost rubbing them invisible. XD


Photobucket

This is my lame attempt to take a stealth picture of a sumo wrestler. XD


Photobucket

Kitties got to worship too.

Now I am not sure where we ended up as we were walking to a different shrine and upon returning to the hotel learned that is not where we ended up. Perhaps we were not at a shrine at all. It seemed to be a place where one could honor their dead pets?

Photobucket

Shrine kitty accepts your offering. Bring more next time.

The mood around the place seemed peaceful though. Maybe it was because of the two celebrity kitties that were sticking around the place? They even had a cardboard thingy with pictures of them on it.

Photobucket

Random...ship?


Photobucket

Behold the only food vending machine I found in Japan.

After our adventures I decided to take a chance and go to Nakano. My guide book made it sound like it would be a trek to get to Nakano but it was like three stops from our hotel. The purpose of the trip to find the other Mandrake store in Tokyo.

Photobucket

One of many stores.

After being lost and talking English with the cops we learned that the Mandrake store was at the end of the Broadway shopping center. Helps to know where you are going before you get there. Also this Mandrake is not a building but inside a larger building and on multiple stores. When you get to Broadway do not give up. Keep climbing the stairs and you will find multiple Mandrake stores specializing in different anime/manga goods.

That's about it for today. Time for some sleep. XD I will try to catch up with all the Japan Trip posts so I can get back on the anime track Monday. Hopefully it works out. Goodnight and thanks for stopping by!


No comments: