Thursday, January 27, 2011

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica episode 4

So like today…my coworker….he said that almost all anime is geared towards women/girls and he is finding in increasingly hard to find animes for guys/men.

And he was serious people. Dead serious. Because I live in the Twilight Zone. Let me cry tears for the poor men!!!! POOR MEN! Not enough boobies and panty shots and moe characters. THE POOR MENZ!!!!

Photobucket

Oh crap spoilers for the episode? This was the entire thing...

Putting that aside are we ready internet? It is time for Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica episode 4. After last week everyone was left going X__X. Will this week be the same? Spoilers for uncaring adorable creatures.



Photobucket

This episode is going to be uplifting.

Episode Summary: Sayaka runs to the hospital to go see Kamijo. It is unclear if this is directly right after Mami dies but let’s assume so. She is unable to see him as he is in physical therapy. She thinks about wishing him better but declares that a selfish wish. Madoka is eating breakfast with her family but is thinking about Mami losing her head. Her family is concerned about why she is crying but she covers up by saying she is thankful for being alive. Madoka tries to talk to Sayaka about dead Mami but she rather pretend everything is fine with Hitomi. Later on the roof the girls do talk. Madoka is clearly more upset about Mami dying that Sayaka. They talk about how the world feels different and how scary it all is. Madoka confesses that she is sorry but she can’t be a magical girl. Kyubey poofs up and is like oh someone else will come and be a magical girl. If neither of you girls want to be one than farewell. Off he goes and Madoka cries some more. Madoka goes to Mami’s apartment to drop off the hand book to magical girls and cries even more.

Photobucket

Yay more happy faces!!!!

As she leaves the apartment she runs into Homura. She follows her home and Homura tells her even more fun stuff, about all the other girls who have died and that this world is harsh. Madoka says she isn’t going to be a magical girl but she will never forget Mami or Homura. Homura didn’t get the memo that was supposed to bring the girls together and leaves. Sayaka goes to visit Kamijo again but this time it is not go well. He lashes out over the fact Sayaka brings him CDs when he will never play his instrument again. Sayaka tells him not give up and believe in miracles. While walking home Madoka runs into Hitomi who is acting strange. Turns out she and other people in town are under the influence of a witch and try to commit mass suicide. Madoka manages to stop the magical suicide ceremony but has to take refuge in a closet. Or something. Then the crazy witch comes and everything becomes an acid trip. Madoka starts feeling guilty for not being a magical girl and letting Mami down .But all is well as newly transformed Sayaka arrives and kills the witch. Madoka is all X_X and Homura is X__X. Kyubey is more like :3 because a new girl has arrived to kick Sayaka’s ass and take over the town. THE END!

Oh.

Photobucket

For real people.

Okay then.

That really didn’t go the way I was expecting. I see.

Photobucket

Although I don't think Sayaka is super thrilled with her decision..

Well except for Sayaka deciding to wish that boy well. That I think everyone and their mom saw coming. My mom saw it coming and she has never seen anime…ever. So yes that happened and I was expecting that so the entire episode wasn’t all….oh.

Photobucket

I feel you Kamijo. You are allowed to have a tantrum. You has my permission.

I did want to say that Kamijo was acting like an asshole in the hospital right before Sayaka made her wish. But then I thought about it and yeah I think he is right. Or at least I would be acting like him too. Like I am in a terrible accident and I will never play my beloved instrument again and you think bringing me CDs of music is going to help? No. No it’s not going to help. Actually that might be the definition of not helping.

But is Sayaka a total dumbass? Probably not. I am not sure how close she and home boy are. Maybe all she knows about him is he plays classic music. Which would make her a groupie stalker. So maybe she is trying to bring him joy in the only way she knows. Or you know…just because you can’t do the thing anymore doesn’t mean you can’t like it right? Although I am sure still being in the hospital unable to do that thing is a bit too soon…

Photobucket

SELFISH SELFISH GIRLS!!!!

For whatever the reason Sayaka pissed Kamijo off. Because there is no chance ever he will play…the violin right? Because doctors are always right and he should just give up hope now. So Sayaka decides to be “selfish” and become a magical girl for him. Never going to understand why anime characters insist they are selfish all the time when really they are doing things for other people. So what if she wants thanks? I WOULD TOO! Actually I would want him to thank me and then ask me out and marry me and make babies with me. That is what I would expect someone who is the recipient of my magical death inducing wish okay. And if that makes me selfish SO BE IT!

Photobucket

But don't worry Kyubey. You cared even less. YOU WIN!

So besides all that….nothing really went the way I thought it was going to. Especially Sayaka’s reaction to Mami’s death. Like damn girl everyone on the internet is blogging and sobbing about dead Mami and the next day at school you are joking with Hitomi. YOU IS COLD!

Maybe she was putting on a strong front. Maybe she sees the bigger picture. Or maybe the writers really want us to side with Madoka and her sensitive tears. Whatever the reason I am upset that Sayaka was more concerned about Kamijo and his non violin playing self than someone who got their HEAD BITTEN OFF. Like for real people.

Photobucket

Poor Madoka. I wouldn't want to take a job that might get my head bitten off either.

So moving on the OH train. Madoka does not become a magical girl. Episode 4 people and the “main girl” isn’t a magical girl yet. Most of the internet was guessing that Madoka’s wish was going to be to bring Mami back from GETTING HER HEAD BITTEN OFF. A lot of us speculated that would be a bad idea in the long run but assumed that is what was going to happen.

Photobucket

I don't want to die either!!!

However….maybe I like Madoka not making her wish to save Mami. I don’t know people, I am on the fence with this one. On one hand I am like oh so your friend just got her head bitten off and your first reaction isn’t to wish her back. I SEE. But then…maybe Madoka realizes that if Mami, an awesome magical girl with super powers can die what can she do? What good is wishing her friend back to life if she dies in the process too? Of course there is always the possibility that Mami will be pissed off that Madoka would do such a thing but that is small in the grand scheme so you know. You know.

So while I think any good magical girl candidate should have found the love in her heart to make that wish it seems as if Madoka found the brain in her head and realized that shit got real. I wasn’t expecting that so…maybe I like the realism of the entire issue. Just put next to Sayaka wishing for fingers to work again it seems kinda off.

Photobucket

I am sure that makes Madoka feel better. Tons better.

I thought maybe Homura was going to show some humanity in this episode but clearly she is that jaded people. Too many dead magical girls to count? Madoka is standing there crying and Homura is going on and on about how the dead girls go forgotten and blah blah. Like okay there crazy Madoka has already decided not to be a magical girl so why you have to keep laying it on so thick? She gets it! Now stop being a bad ass for one second and be sad that someone is experiencing this sadness for the first time.

Photobucket

Drinking the Kool-Aid.

I do like that Madoka’s other friend was affected by a witch this week. I mean I am glad she lived because I don’t want Madoka comatose in her corner talking about the precious but Madoka got to see firsthand what happens when a magical girl doesn’t step up. At least for 5 seconds since Sayaka decided saying some musical boy’s fingers was the best wish ever.

Photobucket

No you need to fail a little bit before you can be badass.

I think Sayaka being so magical right off the bat was a bit too much. It probably took Mami a long time to get that amazing. I rather see Sayaka look nervous or mess up or struggle a bit. Not to show off in front of Madoka like the job isn’t dangerous or something. Given how horrible the last fight was I didn’t want Sayaka to blaze through the fight.

Photobucket

WTF is this face?! X__X

Although I did like the glare Homura gave her afterwards. Of course that makes me wonder why Homura was more concerned about stopping Madoka rather than Sayaka…

Photobucket

Because it has been super fun. Remember the time Homura tried to kill me? Remember when Mami got her head bitten off? Good times good times.

Kyubey. He is evil. I feel it. Maybe your mouth can’t move little animal creature thing but your eyeballs work right? How about you shed some tears because yo girl just got her head bitten off? Or have you lost so many girls that Mami is just a drop in the bucket? Still….not impressed with Kyubey. Maybe I will be wrong but he could have PRETENDED to care if only to get Sayaka and Madoka to be all magical girls. He was like oh yeah she died, you aren’t being magical girls, SEE YA. Like….please try harder to fool the girls into being magical super heroes please.

Photobucket

This will end well, I sense it.

And with the arrival of a new magical girl he is looking more suspicious. Home girl is threatening to kick Sayaka’s ass and he is like lalala? How about trying to unite the girls? Oh wait that would have to mean you care about them and you aren’t evil. Right. But yes new magical girl. Thank you for making in really obvious that this is not our typical magical girl show. NO TEAM WORK FOR US!!! Gonna kick some ass and get the “good” land right?

So this episode wasn’t what I was expecting. I am interested to see what the rest of the internet has to say about episode 4. Probably not as much as episode 3 but with the new girl in town maybe people will be excited. Who knows. This show keeps us on our toes.

3 comments:

blindability said...

One of the things I like about Madoka Magica is that these girls aren't all rose-coloured and fluffy. Sayaka for example: It's not that she's cold because she's not crying as much as Madoka after Mami's death; she was clearly as disturbed as Madoka. It's just her sense of maturity and way of dealing with it is different. I also feel that Sayaka understands that between Madoka and herself, she needs to be less emotional to support Madoka.

Homura, on the other hand, is jaded, but she's looking out for Madoka (as she has for other potential Mahou Shojou, no doubt) the only way she knows how: By telling it the way it is. It would be counter productive for her to dumb down the number of Mahou Shojou deaths she's seen. Plus I don't think she has any particular feelings for Madoka; Kaname Madoka is just another girl she just doesn't want to become a Puella Magi.

As for Kyubey... Yeah: He is heartless. Heartless, fluffy, and kind of cute, haha.

ingtar said...

re: Sayaka saying she's selfish.

I get what she means. What Sayaka really wants is the boy toy to love her. She doesn't want to heal him for his sake, but for her own. Remember by making this wish she's condemning herself to (likely) a short life with a violent end. this is no small thing. So she's being honest with herself, she is being selfish, because she wants to cure him and have him fall in love with her. She's not selfish because she wants thanks but because what she really wants IS THE THANKS. She's being remarkably honest with herself, that all things considered she doesn't want to exchange her life just to anonymously heal him.

Sayaka blazed through the fight because it wasn't a witch but a familiar/servant whatever

Christina said...

blindability- I just wish they showed Sayaka crying later. I can understand her trying to have a tough front for Madoka but she was more concerned about some boy not playing the violin again rather than her dead friend. Or at least that is what it seemed like since she cried tears for him and not Mami.

Perhaps Homura really doesn't feel anything for Madoka but I do wonder why she didn't actively try to stop Sayaka.

Kyubey is super cute but he is getting a lot of side eyeing from me.

William- Well that probably makes me selfish too because if I risked my life for a boy I loved I would want him to love me to. XD Of course it will probably put a damper on their romance if she dies like 2 months later. So her logic in winning the boy over is slightly flawed since she might not have him for long.

And it is really hard to tell what is a witch and what is a familiar. X_X They all look like scary crack heads to me.