Friday, January 14, 2011

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica episode 2

People. My finger hurts. After cutting it on a drain plug I walked around like a baby at work only to discover at home the cut isn’t that big. It is deep but it wasn’t as bad as I was picturing it. JUST A FLESH WOUND…that is on the tip of my finger and stings if I think about moving it.

But I love blogging and I love anime so I will type with nine fingers. Just for you. Only it might be 8 fingers as I have discovered I really cut two fingers during the incident. The other one just didn’t bleed like a geyser of fail. Just cut enough to be super annoying. Also I don’t like how geyser is spelled.

Photobucket

Um can I has everything in this picture please?

Enough about First Fail Day of 2011. Time to talk about Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica Episode 2. Because we need to talk about anime and not stupid people. Spoilers for dancing creepy flowers and NO NAKED MAGICAL BOYS.



Photobucket

Time to get our fancy drink on before witch fighting!!!!

Tiny Summary since my fingers hurt: Madoka thinks that the whole Mami fighting crazy flowers was a dream. But in the morning Kyubey is starting at her so it must be real. Madoka and her mother get ready for the day while Kyubey is taking a bath (he is not visible to humans…HMM). Madoka asks what her mom would wish for and mom goes off on a work rant. Madoka thinks back to yesterday when she visited Mami at her COOL apartment. She explains the jewel thing being the source of a magical girl’s power. That they are to fight witches who are the cause of much despair in the world. Mami also explains witches give prizes (energy to recharge the jewels) so more magical girls mean more competition. Thus this is why Homura MUST have attacked the. Mami offers to take Madoka and Sayaka out witch hunting so the girls can decide if they want to be magical girls or not. Hitomi is jealous that the other two girls seem closer. Kyubey goes to school because he feels the girls will protect him from Homura.

Photobucket

I really don't want....

During lunch Madoka can’t think of a wish and wonders if she is worthy to be a magical girl. Homura shows up just to be THERE and threatening. Madoka spends the rest of the day drawing her ideal magical girl outfit. After school Mami takes the girls out and explains that witches are the causes of most crimes and suicide. She tracks down some magic energy and saves a lady from committing suicide. There it is fighting time. They are taken to bizarro world with scary flowers and such. Oh and the witch who is a giant butterfly flower thing. Mami makes quick work of the witch and Madoka watches in awe. Mami explains the grief seed which can reenergize magical girl powers. Mami tosses the remainder to Homura. She refuses to use it and stomps away. Madoka thinks that Homura must be a good person at heart and wants to be an awesome magical girl like Mami. The end. And that wasn’t so tiny.

Well I think I am going to call it now. This show might be the fan favorite anime of Winter 2011. WOOHOO Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica!!!

Of course I am not sure how much of an honor that is given the great amount of fail this season is churning out. That is like bragging you beat a 5 year old at a game. Just woohoo what an accomplishment there. But just saying it for the record people.

Photobucket

Of course this is a witch. OF COURSE!!!

I am still really grossed out about the monsters. Creepy dandelions are not my cup of tea. And then it turns out the witches are…..creatures too and not humanoid enemies. Because I want flower like butterfly crazies being my main enemy. It is easier to fight something that looks like you. Or maybe I am talking garbage. But I was not expecting …that. I was really expecting a witch. And of course the newbies should be able to tell the difference between…little crazy monsters and witches. Duh.

Photobucket

What will you choose?

I do like that Sayaka and Madoka got to think about becoming magical girls. It never seemed fair to me that one HAS to become the savior of the world. Of course it would probably be in their best interest since saving the world means you have a place to breath air and such. But having a choice is nice. Choices are better than trying to kill cute little animals named Kyubey.

Photobucket

Dying might affect the WOOHOO wish part of this pact.

But having a choice means that being magical girls means something. Not just the perquisites of having a pure heart. Are you willing to die for a wish is pretty heavy stuff. I mean…that could potentially get some bad magical girls right? Well I guess if Kyubey does a screen test before probably not so much. But I am sure the main point is to make all the girls like Mami, who genuinely like to help people.

Photobucket

Behold my secrets!!!!

I am not buying that Homura only wanted to stop Kyubey because she wants the witch rewards. I am sure she uses that as a fake excuse because she really cares about people and maybe has seen other girls die. Because Kyubey mentioned other girls and hello where are they? Oh that is right Sayaka and Madoka are their replacements. So maybe Homura is tired of watching other girls die. That the pros like Mami and her should be the only ones to suffer.

Because really when is this wish granted? Sounds like a great reward but who knows when it will be fulfilled. So maybe it is a whole list of reasons why Homura was acting like the bad guy with good intentions. Kyubey doesn’t really seem that scared of her…

Photobucket

We didn't mean to leave Hitomi out!! :(

I do feel bad for Hitomi. Even if she was a little dramatic and again lady on lady action she has a right to feel left out. And I am sure she is going to have more instances of feeling left out. They won’t tell her what is going on and she will just assume the worse. Because that is what girls do.

Photobucket

Aw. You think you get to choose. How cute.

I thought it was super cute that Madoka thought she could design her own outfit. Like no silly girl. You get a random outfit provided by the powers that be. Just pray you don’t get an ugly one like zombie boy. But yes I think it is super cute that instead of thinking of a wish or how dangerous being a magical girl is…she rather design her own outfit. XD

Photobucket

What do you mean magic has limits? LIES!!!

Something that is less cute is this whole refill your magic thing. I mean…they have to fight the enemy. So their reward is…more magic so they can fight? It really doesn’t make sense. Like if I had a pile of paper work to do my reward for finishing that pile of paper work is a stapler to then staple all the papers. You see what I am saying? But I guess if you want to keep being a magical girl you got to earn your keep No freebies with these wishes.

I am going to guess that Madoka’s wish will be either to bring someone (probably Homura) back to life when they go squish. Or maybe that they will all be friends forever. I was going to lean towards the mom angle (getting the best job ever) but that isn’t pure enough to be magical girl material.

Photobucket

Only one attack had a name XO

And Mami battling was just awesome. I guess there isn’t much to say about that. But it is hard to watch due to the fact the monsters are different than the people. Meaning the style is so different it is not like they are there. Like CGI in real movies or something. But a lot of detail went into the battle and it is appreciated. Only Mami needs to look into getting a better gun because one shot per weapon is lame.

Photobucket

Also I love this. XD

I like where this series is headed. Where that is I don’t know. But I like that the girls aren’t magical yet and things have been explained. Much better than jumping into something without knowing all the details. Keep up the good work!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Meh. Did like the figth scenes but not sure about the witches, because even if it's cool to have collages and stuff when you think about how much better it would be to have a regular talking walking humanoid witch looking cool and stuff, well ... just, agree with you there.

Dying to know, who is the band that does the music in the actual show sequences? The vocals sound way familiar...

Anonymous said...

(... meant "fight" scenes.) Also liked the figth scenes though. And the fourgth and the thirdgth.

Christina said...

Anonymous- According the interwebs the opening song is "Connect" by ClariS and the ending theme is "Magia" by Kalafina. And since I fail at remembering American artists there is no way I can remember Japanese ones. XD But Kalafina has done some songs on Kuroshitsuji so that is probably why they sound familiar.

Sometimes the collages get a bit hard to look at. They are cool but it just looks weird against the real world. And yes talking to something humanoid would make this make more sense. Not some crazy butterfly thingy thing.