Sunday, January 2, 2011

Anime 2010 Highs and Lows!


Photobucket

It's time to pick sides!!!

WOOHOO! Starting off the New Year super behind on everything. That is just how I roll though. That and my momma’s car broke down and that was an ordeal that took up a good chunk of the day. And going to bed at 4 and waking up at 2 limited my blogging too. I need to learn to blog in my sleep…

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

So I figured I would do the 2010 post today instead of the Starry Sky post I had been playing. You know, while 2010 was just the other day and not last week. But Starry Sky is on the way as is our special Touma/Index anime.

Here is the list of the highs moments in anime this year and the lows.

*Thanks to Grace who pointed out a pretty bad mistake I made. Clearly I shouldn't type on 4 hours of sleep.



Photobucket

Why did you girls leave me?! XO

Favorite Anime- XO Why am I starting with a such a hard one first? I really love Kobato but the ending was slightly SLIGHTLY off for me knowing the direction of the manga. Not that I should compare the two but I do so you know. K-On!! was really enjoyable for me but there were a few boring episodes mixed in there. And of course Angel Beats despite the flip flopping enemies and weird plot.

But if I had to pick just one I would probably pick K-On!!. Each series I was always happy to blog about but that one brought an extra smile to my face and made me think of my own high school times. So congrads K-On!! You win…a piece of pumpkin pie because that is in my fridge at the moment. XD

Photobucket

They barely made it out alive folks!

Most disappointing anime- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Season Two* was in the running for quite a while. Really I think it was on most people’s list of WTF since you know…8 of the episodes were nearly identical in natural thus making most of the season pointless. But I guess it was more frustrating that disappointing since the repeat was expected. Also I know this is a 2009 anime but rewatching it this year really drove home the fail for me.

But then Togainu no Chi stepped up to the plate and made everyone weep in the streets. The expectations were high for this show among a certain group of people (see crazy yaoi fans like myself) and what we got was a censored piece of crap. The sexual tension was never really there, the art was awful, and those who have experienced the game were disappointed in how nothing was really explained. And Akira got his ass kicked every episode. This show was sad and made fans ready to storm the studio.

Photobucket

I will hug you despite the fact you just tried to kill us all...


Photobucket

Well I guess that is Ceil but you know!

Saddest Scene- A hard one for me. Naoi from Angel Beats crying in the rain was pretty sad. Granted he just got done trying to kill everyone for the millionth time but he was a sad little boy who needed a hug. But then we got another crazy killer with Alois in Kuroshitsuji II. He was a killer too and he started pretty young. But when he found out that Claude didn’t care about him at all it was heartbreaking to watch. So it is a little weird that my saddest moments of the year come from people hurting others. Interesting. X_X

Photobucket

Five seconds away from taking off their clothes folks.

Favorite Couple- Hotsuma and Shuusei. While Yuki and Luka were off holding hands and not making out Hotsuma and Shuusei stepped up to the plate with the angst. The whole getting kidnapped and getting seriously injured for the other was lovely. Well not lovely in a nice way but lovely for crazy people like me to watch. Ice cream and bare feet for all folks. But yes even though they were not the main couple of Uragiri wa Boku no Namae wo Shitte Iru they were for me. XD

Most Disappointing Couple- So many to choose from. Akira and…everyone from Togainu no Chi. But I guess Akira got a good relationship with everyone’s fist. Luka and Yuki were sad in the fact that NOTHING HAPPENED but there was SOME tension going on so maybe that does count. And of course Otonashi decided he wanted to be straight or something and ruin my life. So I have a lot to pick from. But I think I will go with Akira not being with ANYONE at all. XD

Photobucket

Ruining all my yaoi pairings RARW!

Favorite Art- Angel Beats. I am a bit snobby when it comes to my art so getting this award means something. And by award I mean a paragraph on my blog. XD But yes the art was pretty spot on most of the season and in the style that I like. Woohoo for Angel Beats.

Photobucket

Feel the love folks. Embrace it!

Favorite Male Character-So I think I said last year I couldn’t pick Fai. RARW to that. I will have to go with Saito Hakuouki Shinsengumi Kitan. Sure he didn’t talk a lot or get too much screen time…but he was hot. And that is the most important attribute of all people! But no when he talked it was important, he is a decent fighter, and in season one he didn’t get killed/zombiefied. That and Chizuru wasn’t giving him any sort of attention and that made me happy. So woohoo Saito. You are amazing.

Photobucket

And then he kills Alois. Because he sucks that bad.

Least Favorite Male Character- Claude from Kuroshitsuji II. Because not only did he act like a pedophile but he totally destroyed a little boy who had already lost his entire family, rapped by a crazy old man, and only wanted his love. Claude has no redeeming qualities and deserved to be all stabbed and stuff. Poor little Alois for having to put up with this crazy person.

Photobucket

See I love that utter clueness XD


Photobucket

But look how eager my Mugi is!!

Favorite Female Character- I don’t know people! Was in Kobato from…Kobato or was it Mugi from K-On!! I love them both equally! Mugi was so adorable with her cute pickled eyebrows and excited nature about mundane tasks. But Kobato was the naturally ditzy heroine in a CLAMP anime. I don’t think I can really decide. Both women are too cute for words. Mugi didn’t get as much screen time as Kobato though….XO I can’t decide, don’t make me.

Photobucket

Behold her weapon of choice...

Least Favorite Female Character- Kuroko from To Aru Kagaku no Railgun was ALMOST this person. But as much as I hate her crazy antics there was someone else who was more annoying and utterly useless. Yes the award goes to Chizuru from Hakuouki Shinsengumi Kitan. Kuroko can at least fight. Chizuru is good at making tea and that is all. But she insists on running around with the boys acting like she can help fight. But she ends up causing more problems and getting kidnapped every other episode. That and she sucks on a personal level. So be happy Kuroko that Chizuru was able to fail harder than you this year.

Favorite Opening Theme Song- To Aru Majutsu no Index season 2 OP No Buts! by Mami Kawada. I love a good song to jam to while I am avoiding crazies on the road and the whole franchise delivers such upbeat opening theme songs. Actually the new one should be out soon (well as soon as this arc ends). But yes I would have to rank that as one of my favorite tunes of the season.

There are my highs and lows of the 2010 anime season. There were some pretty decent shows at the beginning of the year but the Fall season was a real let down. Hopefully this year it will be much more positive for me and picking my favorites will be slightly more difficult. Thanks for reading!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

"But I guess Akira got a good relationship with everyone’s fist."

OMG OMG that is just a wrong thing to say. Total other meaning! (Sorry!!!)

grAce said...

"Most disappointing anime- The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya"

Since you mentioned those 8 identical episodes, did you mean The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Season 2/2009 version which had the "Endless Eight"?

The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya was the film, which I thought should would have made it on your Highs list if simply for KyoAni's gorgeous animation :]
Also <3 AngelBeats!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, Christina! I don't have time to read this yet -- i will! -- but man you have been blogging like crazy!!!

Christina said...

Happy New Year to all.

And once again another reason why I shouldn't type on very little sleep. Fists/yaoi anime. Clearly my word choice was special. But I guess if THAT wording was correct people would be less pissed off....

Grace- Thank you for pointing out my super lame mistake. XD And what a mistake that was to make! Which reminds me...that I need to watch the movie. :( What a bad fan I am. So my mistake helped you remind me about the movie! See it was all planned.....XD Yeah right.

Anonymous- XO I have been so behind lately expect a bunch of new posts....hopefully. XD