Monday, September 6, 2010

Happy Labor Day! Or alternatively YAY FOR MANGAS

Happy Labor Day to all. And by all I mean the ones who have the perks of a job that give them Labor Day off. The people who probably needed this day off the most are the ones who still had to work. You know, the fast food/retail workers, the people with limited/no benefits at all. I would probably be bitterer (okay spell check that looks wrong) about the situation but I don’t work Mondays anyway so meh. I just hope that everyone who did have off today was super kind to those who still had to work. This goes double for when people have to work on Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Now what did I do this Labor Day? I read mangas all day. Writing this is the first time I have been on the internet all day XO I know right crazy? But yeah Anime Weekend Atlanta is around the corner and I am trying to amp myself up for a weekend full of fun. That and there are still mangas left that I haven’t read from AWA last year. I can’t very well buy 50 more mangas when I haven’t caught up on the last batch. Plus I am far behind on reading mangas online so yeah people! Reading mangas is a serious hobby, especially when you are reading so many titles!

So…..housework didn’t get done today. But I read a bunch of mangas so I thought I do a mini review. XD Now these aren’t going to really in-depth reviews, just a few thoughts on these ongoing series (well on going for me as they are probably all out by now….). Kuroshitsuji II and High School of the Dead will be blogged tomorrow. Promise. Hopefully.

Mini reviews for the following manga series:

Wild Ones

B.O.D.Y.

Mixed Vegetables



Photobucket

All of her outfits are so gorgeous. So jealous.

Wild Ones- This is a very typical Shojo manga. Girl has a body guard, body guard falls for the girl, girl is clueless about her feelings, and the body guard is acting like it pains him to keep his emotions in check. So at the end of the day it isn’t one of the most unique mangas and it probably won’t stick out in my mind as anything special.

However it wasn’t a horrible read nor was it boring. It was a good way to spend a few hours. I have only read up to manga 5 but it was fun. Sachie isn’t a super girl. She talks big but she isn’t able to really back what she says. Which I like. Not everyone can be a part of Special A and be big and bad. So it was nice reading about a normal girl who tries to fix things but isn’t taking on boys with her normal strength.

Rakuto is a bit special. He is trying to fight how he feels but then he keeps away men that would make his job a little easier. Also he is a little too perfect for words so yeah. Wish he was more relatable.

The whole situation about hiding the family is over the top. Not sure how long they can keep that up. But shame on the landlady at the beginning of the story trying to kick out Sachie. I wish they made the gang members a little more dangerous. I mean they are always being….nice and helpful. Why is Sachie so scared of guys who have never done anything bad? Way too fluffy for my taste.

But I do like the series despite the major plot problems. Also I like the cover art with Sachie holding knives. XD


Photobucket

No. You are a jerk. That is all.

B.O.D.Y.- I really had my reservation about this manga once I read the first book. I am only up to book three now and I feel a little better. According the internets I am only 11 books behind WOOHOO! Hope there are discount manga booths at AWA.
But yeah. I was a bit X_X about the fact that someone was falling in love with a host. If that is what Fuji wants to do with his life that’s fine. He gets paid, the girl is happy, life moves on. But trying to have a relationship while being a host is the X_X part. I don’t think I could be the partner of someone who is getting paid to make out and have sex with other people. I ain’t that understanding.

So it was hard for me to relate to Sakura’s ability to go out with Fuji knowing his job. Yeah he just got fired in book 3 but up until that point I don’t know how she could do that. Especially a girl who has never had a boyfriend before. A first time relationship should been all lovely and the attention is on the couple, not an outside force. So I was cheering her on pushing Fuji away but I think she gave in too quickly.

Fuji is a lying piece of scum and I was rooting for the other guy who turns out to be gay. But since it is only volume 3 there will be other people that will be interested in Sakura.

But I am happy Fuji is done being a host. I am sure as time goes on there will be a reason why he became a host and it will be all sad and such. But I hope Fuji will be patient with Sakura and I hope Sakura realizes that she is worth a lot more than she is getting. I do like that Sakura went above and beyond to help out the host situation but she needs to stop putting herself in dumb situations. It always turns into the boy rescuing the girl and blah. BLAH.


Photobucket

Um...where is your arm....

Mixed Vegetables-Apparently I am 8 volumes behind on this series. Really GO ME! Have I bought any mangas since AWA? Seriously people.

In any event there are a LOT of cooking terms in this manga. Duh right? Only I hate cooking. And fish. I like cake but I have no desire to make cake or learn about the cake making process. I will watch cake making shows on TV but the more I think about it I like the frosting/creation process. So I do not know what I was thinking picking up this title.

However if I put the cooking terminology aside the story is slightly interesting. Hanayu thought she was using Hayato. She wanted to become a sushi chef so bad she was willing to marry into a sushi family just to escape her obligations at her family’s pastry shop. She started to feel bad WHICH SHE SHOULD HAVE and she finds out that Hayato was using her too. Awesome.

Although that made me a little sad too. I mean I am not mad that he was using her too. Just a little sad that some of the love act was really just a love act. He didn’t have to go that over the top to win Hanayu so that makes me sad. Of course by the end of the series I am sure they are going to open a sushi/pastry shop and have 5 little kids running around.

So since I haven’t read that manga volumes yet I can’t really talk much about anything. Only that they need to stop ignoring that poor boy in the corner. I am sure it will be a frustrating ride watching these two fight feelings for each other and not being able to enjoy those feelings because of their dreams. But it will all work out! It will just take every single volume for them to get to that point.

So that’s about it. 10 mangas under my belt and quite a few to go. But at least I am closer to reading all the mangas I bought last year. So I guess that means I should go clean now before I read anymore…

Knowing me that probably won’t happen but I had to say it okay!

No comments: