Friday, October 7, 2011

New Anime Series! Kimi to Boku episode 1

I wasn’t fired today! Yay! I still have my job…..yay……

XD No really I still have my job. What a crazy miracle that is. We are currently working on back up plans in case anything hits the fan. The broken fan of course. The metal broken fan with rusted blades that tried to kill me when the front cage part came off. But yes. Back up plans. Life is never boring at my job.

Photobucket

Am I allowed to sparkle now?

While I am trying to avoid mean cat bites (dumb cat, trying to PET YOU) I guess I can watch and blog Kimi to Boku. Spoilers for episode 1 of this slice of life show involving BOYS! XO Shocking.



Photobucket

This is my flower petal and I wear it proudly!!!

Episode Summary: Sakura blossoms are falling all around…whatever city we are in. A long hair man child (I guess) named Shun explains that this is the start of their second year in high school. The glasses wearing kill joy named Kaname is upset. His friend, twin one (Yuki) did not wear his blazer for the opening ceremonies and obviously this is twin two’s (Yuta) fault. During lunch time there is some random vending machine talk. The twins explain that Kaname is rich thus his drink choice is…stupid? No idea. Kaname complains about eating on the roof because the dust is blowing. I think he should worry more about the sakura petals but that is just me. After lunch Shun tries to make the group talk about being friends and stuff but Yuki ignores him. Kaname explains that Yuki is a jerk and that is why he ignores him. Yuta says his brother is awesome and stabs Kaname with a fork.

Photobucket

Live for today!

Okay no they instead talk about everyone used to be cute back in their preschool days. The twins told a story about people who sleep in the middle of the line have their life spans decreased. This leads to Shun crying, Kaname joining the line, and the twins making life difficult. Trying to get the spotlight off his preschool crush Kaname decides that Yuki has to join a club. Because. Just because. Up first is the Basketball club. Yuki is not really thrilled with being forced to join a club. But then he shows off how athletic he is. Despite his abilities his socially awkward ways of dealing with people lead everyone else to X___X him. Kaname grows discouraged. A random teacher (or maybe their teacher, is everyone in the same class) comes up and says that Yuki needs to try new things. This leads the group to different clubs that don’t involve sports. The tea ceremony is a bust and Kaname is scarred for life. Then it turns out Yuki likes anime and manga and Kaname makes him join that club. It turns out that this club is just a front for going home early and Kaname has failed. Also Shun has suffered as well in light of a sweet childhood memories being false. But Shun has decides that this year is going to be amazing and it shall! The end!

Well….that was interesting?

I don’t know what I think of this episode. I have like Slice Of Life shows in the past (weeee K-On!!) but this…this is different.

Photobucket

Indirect kisses indeed!

Of course the major difference is that these are all boys and not the typical all girl Slice Of Life shows were usually get. So I guess no one can really complain about moe blobs right? Well there is Shun….But yes since they are guys we probably won’t have trips to the bakery, shopping for cute clothes, and conversations about loose fitting socks.

But I think this show is going to be different besides the guy factor. Or maybe it is because they are guys it is different? I am not a guy so I don’t know…but these 4 friends didn’t seem very…friendly. Almost like Kaname tolerated them all. Yuki could care less if Shun was talking and Yuta seemed to be around to explain why they were all there.

So are these bad examples of male friendships or is this an accurate portrayal of how guys act in a group? Not knowing anything about your friend, acting like it is a burden to hang out with these people, and to randomly brush your friend’s hair? I got more of MEH feeling from them. Sorta like we have been together for so long it would be troublesome to go out and find new friends.

Photobucket

Just a couple of friends, hanging out on the roof and brushing each other's hair.

I am also surprised that none of the guys are in the same club together. I guess Kaname is the student council type but it gives the group a real disconnect feeling. Why does Kaname care what Yuki does after school? He has his own thing to do. Of course if they were all girls they could just make up their own club up to do nothing at and eat sweets. Still I wonder where this show will go when everyone is of doing their own thing after school.

From an American point of view I see it as a good thing. I love all my friends and we have certain things in common. But I was not going to join some of the clubs they did in High School. And that was okay. But in Japan things are little different. You spend so much with those certain people every day. Add in the pressure of getting good grades and cram school and I don’t see how people have time for friends outside a club. But maybe Japanese kids are awesome. Just don’t see how these people who don’t act like they want to be friends would schedule the time to be true friends.

Photobucket

Yay togetherness!!!

But maybe I am missing the point. That guys are more casual in their relationships. They don’t have to spend so much time together to consider themselves friends. They don’t have to know every single detail about their lives and that is okay. It is fine eating sand lunches on the roof and not saying a word. Because that is how guys roll?

Photobucket

It's in your contract!

Also I love how the main characters of any anime show eat lunch on the roof. Not that they always do but if they do it is THEIR roof. No one else is allowed to eat up there. An entire school full of students and the roof can only house the main characters.

Photobucket

It's the final countdown!!!!!!

Speaking about the episode itself I guess it was okay. The preschool sleeping scene was kinda weird. They looked way too old to be 4/5. I would have preferred them to be cute and Chibi like. But I did like the “horror” story about sleeping in the middle. It makes no sense but Shun freaking out and the different combination of sleeping patterns was fun.

Photobucket

Thanks for stopping by today! Let's be friends!

The whole let’s make Yuki join a club was bleh. Bleh. I sorta liked it better when he was bored with the entire thing and not blowing everyone away with his awesomeness. Or awkwardness. But I did like him randomly trying to kill people in the archery club. I guess I just don’t see why Kaname was so crazy about Yuki joining a club. Had I seen Yuki clinging on him and bugging him after school it would have made sense.

Photobucket

AW :( All that for nothing.

Although I do wish there was more to the anime/manga club than just going home. :( But I guess the alternative would be Yuki surrounded by “crazy otaku” and that might not jive well either.

Photobucket

Just...something does not sit well with Shun. Do not like.

On a side note Shun’s appearance bothers me greatly and I am not sure why. It was almost like he was a dog or something? I don’t know. Do not like. Tie that hair back or something.

I hope Yuta has more of a chance to shine in future episodes. At least he is more aware of social situations unlike his crazy brother.

Other than the crazy amount of sakura blossoms I don’t think there is much else to say about this episode. Got some guys who…hang out I guess. Kaname has money, the twins aren’t doing the normal “twin” act, and I am pretty sure army of plushies is manlier than Shun. I wonder what the new guy will bring to the show.

Photobucket

I love kitties! And my cat is not fat!

XO I almost forgot about the fat cats! The fat cats are amazing. I wish to have them all but my husband refuses to let be a cat lady. So I will just watch them and wish to snuggle them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just watched it today and I really liked it.It's cute boys doing cute things I guess. I like the twin with the yellow-shirt, I have no clue what his name is XD.You can help but feel that it looks like yaoi..:P

Christina said...

Anonymous- I think Shun is hoping it feels like yaoi too. XD

I just hope when the new guy shows up they start acting like friends. XD Snarking is fine but deep down I want to know there is a real friendship.