Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Anime Weekend Atlanta 2011 Day 1

XO It is Tuesday and I just now looked at the pictures I took at AWA? For shame. I am such a slacker. XD But despite the fact that we barely took any pictures at the costume contest we have tons of pictures. I still need to search the net and look at what pictures others took of that weekend.

Speaking of internet…..why are there hardly any threads on the Post AWA 2011 forum? On the official website I mean. I love going to forums after conventions to read what other people had to say. :( The only action I see going on is in the Artist Alley portion of the forum.

Photobucket

Where are all my Tsubasa cosplayers?! There are enough outfits in that series to cosplay until the end of time(loops). Don't give up on me now!

But anyway time for Day 1! Friday was full of events. I think I will leave the thoughts about the Dealer’s Room and Artist Alley for Sunday as that was our slowest day. For now enjoy the crazy that was Friday.



Photobucket

MOG for real.

I shall start off by saying….ya’ll. Ya’ll. People need to sleep. Probably people who are at this hotel and are not attending AWA. But I would like sleep too. Cackling while walking back to your room aka PAST MY DOOR is not appreciated at 2:30. I mean I like staying up late. But when I have a big day ahead of me I want to get some sleep. Also hanging out with friends is what conventions are all about. But when you are doing so LOUDLY on the ground floor in a building designed to make sound travel….just no. The over dramatic laughs are not appreciated once I am in bed and the head is on the pillow.

Photobucket

How are they up so early in full cosplay gear?!

So with that said…tired Tenchi. How can people stay up so late and get up so early? But it is time for noms, SHOWERING, and getting ready for the day. SHOWERING FOLKS!!!! Actually this convention there were way less….bathing challenged people. But maybe it was the fact it was not that hot outside and that the hallway was full of great smelling food.

The first thing on the list was the Opening Ceremonies. We decided that waiting in line for the Dealer’s Room was special given how late it opened last year so we decided to spend the time somewhere else. But I did see someone walking away from a booth with a Madoka nendoroid….I wonder how much they spent as that was rather early in the day and the 60/70 dollar ones were still around.

Photobucket

Voice acting for 30 years? Homegirl looking good...

But yes. Opening Ceremonies. Special. I guess I am used to something different….At AFO they usually have the first part of the RPG event going on and what not. I have never been to an AWA opening ceremony before so maybe it is typical for the head of Security to come out and say a few words? I don’t know.

Photobucket

Ready to ROCK?!

But a few of the guests were there to say hello. Some with longer hellos than others…..Very long hellos Matsui Naoko. But I thought Moon Stream was fun. And everyone mourned because Vic was not there yet. AWWWW!

Photobucket

Someone cosplay the ultimate witch!

After some walking around and dealer’s room it was time for noms and the Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica meet-up. Only apparently I got confused. See last year I printed out all the information out. Every single meet-up. This year I thought I would save paper but with that I didn’t print out where these locations were. I ASSUMED that Ballroom meant you know…the grand ballroom. But the other part of the convention had rooms labeled Ballroom too. So we made it to about…10 minutes of the photoshoot. XD But at least I got some pictures. Glad I decided to look around before giving up.

Photobucket

What do you mean WE are the baddies?!

I really liked the “cute” version of Charlotte. And what is Madoka photoshoot without MORNING RESCUE! My husband does not see the humor in that commercial…..
On my list was Japanese Street Fashion but sadly Madoka meetup was at the same time. Wonder how that panel went.

Photobucket

I guess I am old school too and shouldn't be all RARW on people who just happen to be older and their "old school" is ten years older than mine.

Engrish Jamboree II: Engrish Haldel was next on the list. AWA is not like Otakon at all. You get to a panel a few minutes late or right on time and you still can get in! Happy times. This panel was pretty cool. I think it was easier for the panelist to show music videos as there is way more Engrish to show rather than the random line here and there in animes. But overall I think it was a fun panel. I might be slightly traumatized by Hard Gay doing the YMCA.

I think the panel my husband was looking forward to the most was the How to Make Your Own Plushie Mascot. XD We did the smart thing and preregistered for the class. That way we didn’t have to miss the Engrish panel while waiting in line. And what a line it was X__X I don’t think everyone made it in.

I love this panel. I love plushies so of course I would love this panel right? Plus I have the basic (basic) sewing skills and I would like to think I am slightly creative. Other people in the panel (AKA the person behind me) got easily frustrated with the plushie making process. I think she thought it was going to be more of a walk through panel and not work at your own pace. Maybe that needs to be in the description, that basic sewing skills would be helpful in the plushie making progress.

Photobucket

Mine is the one with the spots.

We never seem to finish making the plushies in the allotted time. But we added a few extras and what not so that took a little while. But I did manage to finish my plushie Saturday night and the husband finished his Monday night. Here are the finished products minus the little tongue I am going to put on my turtle. What do you think? Special yes?

Photobucket

Truly outrageous!!!

So after the plushie making panel we caught the second half of Totally Lame Anime. And how correct that title is. X___X I mean most of the clips the panelist showed were dubs but even in their original Japanese I am sure they made no sense. Just awful, awful shows. XD Many of the main panelist at AWA are into old school animes so that is mainly what this panel focused on. Might be nice to mix in some new stuff right? Unless all the old stuff is bad. XD

Anime Hell was right after Totally Lame Anime. We managed to get seats as some people FINALLY left the previous panel. Yay for not sitting next to climbing babies and their over sized strollers. This panel was extremely LOUD. Not that people were talking but the volume on the videos. While we were having a good time we had to leave halfway through the panel as my husband got a headache because of the volume.

Photobucket

I guess I like classics too XD

The clips we did see were funny. The panelist…is special. I mean that in a kind way, not like oh look my turtle is SPECIAL. Like when he cussed it sounded like a 10 year old saying something naughty. Not natural and it added to the fun factor to me. Again not making fun of him as I am sure that is what I sound like to other people as well. XD And poor animes that make no sense. Also I am scared to go to work, drive my car, and basically go outside. Yay safety programs!

After that we headed up to bed. I took the time to read my new manga Codename Sailor V manga as my husband went to sleep. Obviously screaming crazy people are not enough to keep him awake. XD This sums up Day 1 of AWA. Thanks for reading and stay tuned for Day 2!!!

No comments: