Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Anime Weekend Atlanta 2011 Day 2

What? We are up to Saturday already? I feel like I am really pushing out posts yet…more and more animes are being subbed and there is still the EPIC episode that is Blood C episode 12. Can’t forget that hot mess. But I shall catch up, a little at a time of course.

But I would like someone to tell my cat she is not a crazy anime convention fan and there is no reason to wake me up at 7:30. You sleep 20 hours a day cat. Sleep when I am sleeping. You can even sleep ON ME. Just don’t get in my face and MEOW the angry meow of GET UP NOW. Am not amused.

Photobucket

Are ready for some fun?!

But despite the NOW sleeping kitty it is time to get things done today. Onward to the busy day that is known as AWA 2011 Saturday!




Photobucket

I shall gracefully stab you in the face.

Today’s schedule had a lot of meet-ups. Makes a lot of sense as Saturday is the costume contest and the biggest convention day of the weekend. So I tried to make as many meet-ups as possible. Sadly I did not get to attend any Sailor Moon ones this weekend. They always happened at the wrong time. How dare they not bend to my will.

Photobucket

Shouldn't you be poking out people's eyes or something?

Also do cosplayers find it weird for noncosplayers to show up to meet-ups? I like taking pictures and appreciate the hard work that goes into (some) costumes. Plus everyone seems to be having organized fun. I just wonder if we look creepy or something not being in costume ourselves.

Photobucket

Was there an Alice and Wonderland chapter in the manga?

Kuroshitsuji meet-up was first on the to do list. I was surprised not to see many characters from season two. Most of the people were season one and the “main” characters. Still they seemed to be having fun and were well organized. People don’t seem to congregate much at that part of the convention so it is nice to take pictures.

Photobucket

Very well done costumes.

The Hakuoki meet-up (sorta) was rather short. Given that the group was small they made their way outside before I made it to the actual spot. I think they were all friends so they were like time to go outside (which was kinda cold!!! X__X wtf is 55 degrees?!). But all their costumes were really done well. Quality work there. I hope they had fun despite the fact it was getting cold out.

Photobucket

Just a little bulky.


Photobucket

Represent Black and White.

Pokemon meet-up time WOOHOO! I love pokemon so there was no way I was going to miss this meetup. There seemed to be less pokemon type costumes and more actual characters in the show this year. XO and where are all my Eevee people at? I saw them walking around this weekend so why didn’t they show up to the meetup? I wish I had a better spot to take pictures, I think I assumed wrong what angle everyone was going to stand at.

Photobucket

Jigglypuff?!

But I took a lot of pictures at that meet up and it is nice to see that anime/game going on strong. XD The fandom that won’t die right? Also the Jigglypuff was hilarious and made the meet-up fun.

There were two How to Make Your Own Plushie Mascot panels. But since the second panel was going on at the same time as other things I wanted to do my husband went alone. XO He went to the make the peach since we made the turtle at the last panel. He said things went fine and I got a peach kit to make at home. Maybe I will make it next week when I catch up on everything?

Photobucket

Maybe one of you could monitor the line and two of you could stand around doing nothing? Yes?

h. NAOTO Fashion Show is what I went to instead of the plushie making panel. The people handling the line could have done better. You know..maybe actually running the line. Also they did something really unfair to those of us waiting longer to get in. They broke the line off to start at a second door and allowed them to enter the same time as the first line people. They did this one year in regards to the Dealer’s Room as well. Not understanding the logic behind that. Make a second line and make them WAIT until the first line has entered.

Photobucket

I wish more of my pictures turned out.

Also the Fashion Show started late and when we entered the room was set up exactly the same as for any other panel. I thought they were configuring the room to make it look like a fashion show, like the ones for Otakon. Nopers. So the runway was rather short and anyone not sitting on the end would not see much. I was sitting on the end but right before the Fashion Show started the jerk in front of me put on a wig that was the size of a Dragon Ball Z or Yu-Gi-Oh wig and blocked much of my vision. Can people stop being inconsiderate and take off big items during events?

Photobucket

I am 90 percent sure we saw a store carrying this line in Japan. XD

But for the actual Fashion show itself it was great. I hope the designers didn’t feel slighted that the room was not full but had it been the people on the ends would have seen nothing. But they had good music and the models did a great job of looking moody and what not. I really liked the clothes and hope they did well in the Dealers Room.

Photobucket

Dear staffers. When all the doors but one have signs on them like this don't get all pissy when we go out that one door despite the fact you are all STANDING IN THE DOORWAY!

The Costume Contest is always a must for me at any anime convention. We probably should have gotten there are 7:00 instead of 7:30 but we still got decent seats. Or so we thought. We were then asked to move because people can’t count and they needed more seats for the actual contestants. Had we all known that I think most of us would have sat somewhere else. I don’t understand how basic details like this get left behind. Why does everything start so late and yet things are still not done?

Photobucket

WTF is this?!

As for the costume contest itself….I found it lacking. The costumes for the most part were great but they were lacking in …you know anime and manga. Video games I do understand but original characters? Hello Captain Steam punk here is an award? Ravers get to walk on stage next to NCIS characters? What the hell does the Wizard of Oz have to do with anything? I mean people can wear whatever they want at the convention. But I think a line needs to be drawn at entering the Costume Contest and winning prizes at an anime convention.

Photobucket

Got way better pictures in the lobby. And they didn't run away!

Also to the rude people sitting in the front section. You are already sitting in the front. Why the hell did you continue to stand up to take pictures? So rude and staffers really should have told them to sit down.

Photobucket

Her weapon was so heavy she had to have a handler.

The second the event was over all the contestants ran out of the room. The next event was not scheduled to start so why did they all just bolt? Most of us are not sitting in a good spot to take pictures so afterwards is the perfect time to do so. Apparently some of the people were wearing their costumes for over 10 hours and were tired. Still I was disappointed because some contestants didn’t pose for any pictures. Glad I got most of the ones I wanted before the costume contest.

Moon Stream was playing during some of the costume contest so we decided to catch the tail end afterwards. Well we first went to another panel but decides that eating bugs had nothing to do with anime either. So onward to Moon Stream. I was disappointed in how rude some attendees were. Particularly one Doctor Who character. No one wants to hear you yelling to your friend about Subway. The reason you are yelling is it is hard to hear because there is a CONCERT going on. Go outside to talk to your friend jerk.

Photobucket

Rock and Roll in any language!

Putting aside the rude people I think the concert (the parts I saw) were great. They were getting tired but kept on playing and kept the energy up. I wish there was more people in the room. I don’t want our Japanese guests to get discouraged and not come to anime conventions. I do think the people in the front “row” kept up the WOOHOO concert vibe so yay for them. I wish I had bought a fan at their booth in the Dealer’s Room. Bad little forgetter.

Anime’s Craziest Deaths was last on our list of things to see today. I was actually surprised that most of the clips were “new”. Not new as in this year but as in I hadn’t seen most of them before. The panelist did play some classics/favorites of his but had a lot of new horrible deaths for us to freak out about. The room got a little cold though. I had no idea what that has to do with the panel itself but yes I was cold. XD People in animes are pretty awesome though. It is like they watched horror movies and know you got to aim for the head and keep on shooting. But they still aren’t dead so I guess it doesn’t matter.

Photobucket

Some people are partying a little too hard.

We decided it was time to head up to the room since the husband was tired. I took the time to finish my little turtle plushie and to do some packing. Other people at the convention took the time to go to 18+ panels and be loud. Also why do I see people complaining about getting carded at 18+ events? Common sense. Annoying once you are in your 30’s but they got to card everyone and why are you walking around without a form of ID anyway?

Photobucket

Tip toeing around the professional photoshoots to not get in the way.

In any event this was our Saturday at AWA 2011. Hope you enjoyed it. XD Up next is Day 3 and then our Swag post.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, there wasn't an Alice chapter in the manga, BUT Kuroshitsuji has an Alice in Wonderland OVA that's gotten popular.

Glad you enjoyed AWA!

Christina said...

Anonymous- That is good to know. I saw at least three Alice's walking around for Kuroshitsuji. I thought they looked out of place next to all the usual outfits. Thanks for the information.

I had a blast. Kept thinking about my awesome weekend at work today. You know, in between wanting to kill people. XD