Friday, October 8, 2010

New Anime Series! Togainu no Chi Episode 1


Photobucket

...I still miss Yuki.

XO What is this?!?! Bored all week and now there are three episodes up and ready for me to watch? A the day of my granddaughter’s wedding? Err I mean on the day where I work 10 hours, got volunteered to open the store tomorrow, and have to get ready for a spontaneous Disney trip. XO But since I feel sad since the sparkly boys of Uragiri wa Boku no Namae wo Shitte Iru I will start with Togainu no Chi.

Because people, I have priorities.

Spoilers for boys killing other boys and possibly having naked fun times with them later.



Photobucket

He only makes this face 3 times this episode.

Episode Summary: The episode starts with Akira looking dramatically at a bloody Toshima as he jumps off a building with his little suitcase. Back track to a day before this happened. An organized fight is taking place and the good looking guy, Akira wins. His not so good looking friends congratulate him but he doesn’t want to go out for drinks because he hates fun. He does allow his VERY EAGER friend Keisuke to walk with him. Keisuke promises to bring home the noms later and goes to work. Akira goes to his apartment which consists of a bed and…his jacket. Akira reaches for ceiling in a dramatic moment before falling asleep. He wakes up to the popo breaking down his door. Despite being an awesome fighter two popos hold him down easily and drag him somewhere not so nice and beat him silly.

Photobucket

Please note he has only been in the cell for a few minutes.

They inform Akira that one of his ugly friends has been murdered and he is suspect number one. Because…well just because. Keisuke comes home to their (well in his mind) love shack and Akira is not there. No no, he is slowly rotting in a cell somewhere, facing life in prison. Not really as like a few hours later a scary lady named Emma and her demon butler look alike show up to make a deal with Akira. All he has to do is go to the most dangerous city ever (Toshima) and join a deadly game involving drugs. Akira’s purpose will be to collect enough dog tags to earn the right to kick the head dude’s butt and once the head dude (king) is dead he can run along and kill the drug lord there. Awesome right? Akira says yes since life in jail is no fun.

Photobucket

Okay really loving the yaoi joke.

Akira arrives home to pick all his worldly belongings (his jacket) and finds that Keisuke has been there waiting for him. Akira tells the guards to give him a moment to have sex with Keisuke. Akira updates Keisuke on his situation and off into the night he goes. The guards drop him off at the outskirts of the city and away he goes. Things seem really quiet until a gang of ugly people attack him for no reason. They are high on the drugs Akira has been sent to stop. Akira kicks their butts, they kick his. Suddenly a man who should be good looking but looks X_X instead comes. He was an awesome sword which he uses to cut people into pieces in censored scenes. He doesn’t kill Akira because Akira is good looking. He gives Akira the I WANT TO HAVE MY WAY WITH YOU eyes and leaves. Akira is all like shit is real here yo and THE END!

PEOPLE?!?! What was that?! XO

Photobucket

SO MUCH UGLY!!!!

First of all the art was not what I expected. The stills from the game were pretty hot but the anime resembles the manga more than the game. At times the art was just downright ugly. :( I am here to look at the cute guys covered in mud and blood. I can’t do so if the back ground characters are ugly as sin and the beautiful people are angled weird and it looks like there was an A-team animator in one scene and a C-team animator in the next. Consistency please.

Photobucket

So hit and miss at times.

Looking around the internet leads me to believe very few people were impressed with the animation in this episode. I guess if they want to focus more on the fighting aspect and appeal to boys crappy animation might not be TOO important. Important still but overall I think guys are more forgiving with ugly scenes. The yaoi girls tuning in though…we are a disappointed bunch. I wasn’t expecting any sparkles but I was expecting….hot boys? Shiki is ugly :(

Photobucket

I think it is the eyelashes that mess his face all up.

Well maybe not ugly. But he wasn’t the drop dead gorgeous man I was expecting either. I don’t know, something was off. I did enjoy his stripper boots though.

Photobucket

I think his shirt said "I love Akira" on it but I can't be sure.

Keisuke. Holy crap Keisuke. Akira must be blind or something. Keisuke wants a piece of that hot action and by the desperate look in his eyes he doesn’t care what way he gets it. But he probably wants to be on the bottom as he thinks Akira is the best thing EVER! Ever people. Everything Akira does is amazing and Keisuke just wants to be on the sidelines to watch Akira shine. I kinda feel sorry for him as he is not meant to be with Akira (or is he) but his devote is all pure and true. So beautiful.

Photobucket

More butt kickin please.

Akira was a little harsher than I was expecting. But since the manga kinda just dumped him in Toshima we didn’t get to see much of his life on the outside. I don’t know, I probably should have known he was a badass outside Toshima. Always constantly kicking people’s butts. I do wish there was more of a fight with him and the cops though. He is too tough to go out like that.

Photobucket

This screenie would look better if there was drugs in the vial...

I think the overall plot was easy to understand for newbies to the series. Something bad happened to Japan (the Earth) and chaos roams everywhere but more so in Toshima (old Tokyo). Akira fights for a living. Someone wants to take out the drug lord in Toshima so they set up Akira for murder so they can force him to go to Toshima and take out the drug dude. And Keisuke wants to bone/be boned by Akira.

Photobucket

Can't you feel the love?!

See people, easy to follow for a first episode. Shiki’s censored bloodbath made no sense, only to show Akira that Toshima is SERIOUS BUSINESS. That and to show off his sexy stripper boots. The rest of the plot should come with time but I think viewers (who are too busy being disappointed in the art) probably walked away with a good understanding of what is going on.

Photobucket

SO MUCH ACTION!

Even though over the top violence is not my thing I am a little :( that they censored the violence. I tried to find a uncensored version but no luck for me. Sadness for all, especially for those looking forward to the over the top MOGness. And I really didn’t care for the blood being a weird color.

Photobucket

We all know this will end well.

The opening theme song was nice and dramatic. The song fit well with the mood. The ending song was a little slow but that tends to be the theme with ending theme songs so meh. I just wished they weren’t showing scenes that already took place in the episode and gave us something a little more.

Photobucket

Such ugly art!

So overall I am a little sad about the art quality. Okay a lot sad. The art value is really important to me, especially when I want to look at good looking boys stabbing and then kissing (HAND SHAKING) other good looking boys. So yeah, a little sad over here. But the story seems to be sticking closing to the manga/game storyline so we shall see. WE SHALL SEE PEOPLE!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Agree abt the animation, it looks like shonen-style art for a shojo-oriented anime. Maybe that's gritty realism. But maybe that's good b/c like Luka can tell you, good looks and sparkles don't get you to third base. Or on base. IDK.

Anonymous said...

The previews LIED and made it look like the art would be awesome.

The guy jumping off the building is Nano, not Akira. Nano and Akira were trained to be super soldiers from childhood, but then the war ended and they were sent to live with surrogate families.

I actually liked Shiki's character design! It's different from the games or manga, but he's still a sexy creep.

Shiki's intro happened quite differently than it does in the games or manga. In the latter two, Akira notices him (well, notices the people running away from him) but Shiki hardly acknowledges his existence until he becomes a better fighter. The anime seems to be implying he finds him hot from the start. I approve!

According to forums, Shiki's last line was mistranslated-- it sounds like he's calling the gangsters trash and implying Akira is special, but really he means Akira is trash too and can kiss his stripper boots.

Anonymous said...

ps- akira is a uke to EVERYONE but rin :p

Christina said...

Anonymous 1- Yeah they really missed the target audience in regards to the art style. And that is super true about Luka. He was really good looking AND didn't wear stripper shoes and got a handshake.

Anonymous 2- I hate being lied to. :( I wish people would be represent their work instead of misleading people.

But thanks for clearing up who was jumping. I think I was too focused on the neon red blood.

Shiki's HUGE eyelashes are X_X to me. Actually it would look more like this =_=

I approve of the change too if only because it makes it more "romantic". It also makes Shiki's line even more psycho, if Akira was trash why didn't he kill him? Ah crazy Shiki.

Anonymous said...

I think anime Shiki will be all "I'm a tsundere who's inexplicably attracted to the main uke, therefore he is the only one I will spare." And, though conventional, I prefer this to the orig version.

Manga/game Shiki's interest in Akira is not romantic. First A is a mere kitten unworthy of S's blade. Later, S discovers A was in the same project that created Nano, and abducts and tortures the kid for information. Sex, well rape, is a way of breaking him and not romantic.

I hope the anime is playing off the few hints that S has deeper feelings. The best evidence is in the true, i.e. "Lassie you are free now" ending, and in the "Akira the Slut" ending where S&A are a couple and S kills the dudes A sleeps with. How romantic :P

Christina said...

Anonymous 3- See in my romantic yaoi girl mind he won't torture him sexually (but maybe physical). Or that he will always act like Akira is unworthy of being killed by him but really Shiki is protecting the newbie. So yeah I am hoping for a deeper meaning route too even though that might make die hards to the game mad. I just want a happy ending in a sea of blood and guts okay! XD

Jiani [贾尼] said...

Ahha! Shiki wasn't drop-dead gorgeous like I wanted him to be but hey he was still sexy!!! XD Let's not forget his awesome gloves, nice leather pants, great coat, and bad ass bed that spells let me tie you down with it! Wohoot!

Yea, but half of the time i was like these characters are so mehhh blurgh! Keisuke was so ugly to me from the moment I saw him. I was like where is the female fanservice???? The animation was like shit to me. I think that the game was much better to see.

One guy that I especially liked was Gwen from the shot with the woman...whatever her name was. Whatever it was... -_-

And Akira should so kiss those stripper boots of Shiki's. It'd be very hot to me. Then we can get to all the sword cuts and shit with the tying from the bad ass belt!

Oh yea!

Christina said...

Phane A- I think a lot of us are really disappointed in the animation. I mean when I was doing err...research for the show, the clips of the game were really well done.

Research I tell you!!!

But yeah the art is not working for me and it takes away from the drooling over hot guys. :( But Shiki and his stripper outfit are very nice.

LMFAO Vodka said...

Okies, here goes:
***Anime will always look uglier than the manga/game because they MOVE! woot! They friggin move...miracles...

So for moving, the animators must sacrifice some beauty factors! If they focus on making the characters too beautiful/perfection it will take at least 2-3 months just to produce an episode making everyone drop-dead gorgeous or the background characters decent looking...BUT! who cares about background characters? they're just there for a few minutes or so, no time to waste on them!

It's the same for Uraboku, the manga was pretty but the anime was...bleh/so-so.

So, it's hard to make pretty looking anime cuz you will always have to change some part in the piece and it gets pretty annoying and frustrating for the whole entire team of animators. Plus, I think Togainu no Chi is aiming for the shounen audience...don't know about the 'yaoi' fan gals/boys. So yeah...

Christina said...

LMFAO Vodka- You are very right, it was just my initial disappointment talking. Like my true love Tsubasa will never, ever be as beautiful in the anime/movies as it is in the manga. So there is probably not use complaining THAT much about it.

But Shiki and his spider eyelashes are still weird.

LMFAO Vodka said...

Shiki is strange in general, I think he's not human at all. He will go nom nom on 'somebody' 'wink''wink'. which is very messed up lol
So he deserves his spider eye lashes haahaaaaaa
xD

Christina said...

LMFAO Vodka- I do love his stripper boots though! It was like he saw Luka from Uraboku and was like Dude I need to top that. Just he would be a lot sexier without those weird eyelashes.