Wednesday, January 9, 2013

New Anime Series: Amnesia episode 1

X____X All my Christmas decorations are put in their boxes. It took like 4 days but it is all packed up and my house is slowly turning back into its Pre-Christmas state. Slowly. I gotta work up to these things. It just feels so empty without these looming trees with lights and ornaments. X___X Also I have no idea how I packed this all last year as I had to go out TWICE today to buy more totes for it all. I might have an addiction to Christmas ornaments folks.
Photobucket
I heard you guys all shop at weird stores.
But despite the packing and a side of family drama I did manage to get one anime episode blogged today. Gotta keep up with that or I will fall behind like I did before. Up now is a new anime series called Amnesia. Episode 1 is full of....well a girl meeting hot guys. Can't complain about that right?
Photobucket
No one on the street picked up on the fact that this girl looked beyond confused.
Episode Summary: A young girl walks around a city very confused as people walk around her. Blurry images of a house burning down with her in it fill her mind. Suddenly she is in a body of water reaching up to a boat as she sinks towards the bottom. The light at the cross way changes and suddenly she is at a restaurant taking orders. Her vision blurs more and she passes out. The girl, (no name, going by Shujinko) wakes up when another female employee sees how she is doing. Shujinko doesn't know who the girl is and says nothing. The other employee walks out to get help and some spirit kid appears talking to Shujinko like he can help. Shujinko is scared but keeps quiet. Soon a hottie named Shin comes in and tries asking Shujinko how she feels. She stutters a lot which makes Shin think she is not listening to him. Another hottie named Toma comes in and it is discussed whether or not they should take Shujinko to the hospital. The boys decide they should while the little spirit kid (named Orion) says that would be a bad idea. Shujinko decides that spirit kids are more trustworthy and wants to go home despite not knowing who she is or who anyone else is. Toma and Shin walk Shujinko home, talking about their childhood and occasionally looking confused on the quiet Shujinko. She nearly misses her own house but promises to get some rest. Inside Orion explains what he thinks the situation is. He is a spirit from another world and when he got to this world he collided with Shujinko. Her memories were pushed out and Orion's soul sorta got stuck. Orion is trying to help Shujinko out but thinks that she needs to be around people and familiar things so she can get her memory back. Or else she could DIE!
Photobucket
HMMMM so your childhood was not spent in some faraway kingdom?
Shujinko decides she has had enough of today and goes to bed. The next morning she goes to work which she discovers is a maid/butler cafe. The boss seems rather strict but another hottie named Ikki takes Shujinko under his wing when it is clear she is not on her A-game. This causes Ikki to sorta neglect his own table of three upset looking girls. Shujinko is unable to do simple tasks with makes Ikki a bit suspicious. Ikki is nice and band-aids up her hurt finger as she is a bit klutzy. She thinks that she has a memory of Ikki teaching her things before but is interrupted when Kent walks in. He starts talking about random things in a confusing manner when really he is calling her klutzy and wants her to go home for the day. Shujinko decides to stay at Orion's insistence and slowly gets better at her job. She walks home thinking maybe she almost got a piece of her memory back when she finds a black out picture in her mailbox. She realizes it is her in the picture and suddenly the three angry girls at the cafe are there. They start talking about how she broke a promise and Shujinko has a flashback of someone cutting her hair. Shujinko then passes out as someone in the distance cackles at this scene. THE END!
Photobucket
What do you mean I don't have a name?!
X______X How am I supposed to watch a show when the main character doesn't have a name?! At least it isn't like a show last season where NO ONE had names. But the main character? Meh. I know she has amnesia but I am a human being in the year 2013. I must name things. All I can find is the name Shujinko and that looks weird for me. But what else do I have to work with? So from here on out I have taken on the name Shujinko for the Heroine. Because I can't have a line-up full of shows without names. Hero, Demon King, and Heroine? I think not.
Photobucket
I think a lot confused but okay.
The episode started off like one would expect a show about someone losing their memories would start. A bunch of confusion. Usually this might make me mad, like thanks for blowing up my brain. But this show is supposed to put in the shoes of Shujinko (probably why she doesn't have a name, so girls playing this game can put themselves in that role) and since Shujinko is confused right now...all aboard the confusing train.
Photobucket
If Shujinko lost her memories because of Orion...then what is this all about?
Setting aside the fact that there is a flying spirit person all around Shujinko....it was pretty bam, that dream she was having. A burning down house, drowning in a body of water? What does that have to do with anything? It would be understandable if she woke up in a hospital but she didn't. She woke up....standing and working in a restaurant. So when did this drowning or house burning down happen? Was it only in her mind because no one around her seemed to acknowledge that something bad happened to Shujinko recently.
Photobucket
You are looking at me weird. Better blame it on you collapsing and not my fashion choices.
Obviously more will be explained later but Shujinko seems to have some pretty unobservant friends. Ikki looked like he was trying to figure things out but then I thought he was trying to seduce Shujinko and was upset THAT wasn't working. Maybe he was referring to something magical but at this point I think Ikki was the closest to figuring something was wrong. Tomo and Shin were asking what was wrong but the banter between the two of them overpowered the conversation. And Kent was too busy trying to be super confusing while saying Shujinko was being super confusing to noticed that there was a reason for the confusion. So basically Shujinko is screwed.
Photobucket
And then it is time to scream?
I realize that Shujinko has no idea what is going on and she is seeing a floating spirit person all over the place. But is there a reason she didn't open her mouth and say UM I have no idea who I am or what is going on please? Yes she is soft spoken and probably super shy (right now anyway) but wouldn't you say that in a panic? Like MOG who are you? Why is she listening to some figment of her imagination? I can understand not knowing who to trust but at that moment I might say something out of fear. Pull away or run. Something.
Photobucket
Well he looks like an adult but I don't think he counts.
But since this is an anime,where parents and responsible adults are no where to be found maybe Shujinko knows that she is amazing and can take care of herself. Also it seems as if she is an adult herself? She went to work in the morning and stayed all day. A runaway kid maybe? I have a feeling that there should have been more glances from the 4 hottie guys though. I think that Shujinko might have been a bit louder, more outspoken before she lost her memories. The way she talked seem to throw people off but they figured she hit her head and some nice/shy leaked into her.
Photobucket
Um...what is going on?
So let us talk about this memory loss thing going on. Shujinko has lost all of her memories from August 1st to...well the beginning of her life. Yet she has been awake/walking around for 4 days. Don't know what she has been doing all that time, maybe walking around in a haze, going through the motions of being a human being. What is behind this memory loss?
Photobucket
Um....so can you fix me or not?
Well we don't know yet. Insert some random spirit named Orion. He apparently ran into Shujinko when he crossed over from his world and his soul got stuck in her? That he bopped the memories right out of Shujinko and he has been spending the last 4 days trying to help her out. Since Shujinko can't remember anything maybe she doesn't know that talking spirit kids floating in the air is not normal. And Orion doesn't seem to be very helpful. He is not her personal little spirit so he actually doesn't know anything about her. So he is just along for the ride and thinks that her being around people will help jog her memory. HMMMM gotta unlock those achievements yes?
Photobucket
Just a lot imagery going on with playing cards. Is there a reason for that? OFF WITH THEIR HEADS?!
The opening and closing song of this anime are really, really dramatic. Which makes me think there has to be something going on more than amnesia. Well obviously as there is a spirit from another world. But the 4 main boys have some weird eyes going on, there is a a creepy guy cackling in the background, and her dream seemed off for the area of town she lives in. So....what does Tenchi think? Well I did think that everyone was serving their Princess Shujinko but none of the guys were acting very formal with her. And they were acting like they have lived in this city their whole lives. Now I am not sure what to think. Is Orion just a random supernatural element or is Shujinko something really special to be protected? Basically I don't know what I think. I had notions going into this show and while everyone looks pretty and out of this world maybe they are just good looking guys that are friend with Shujinko. But I hope there is some magical adventure else.
Photobucket
Yes please. A hospital sounds great right about now.
For now the show is going to take place in a current busy city of Japan. In a maid/butler restaurant. Oh lord. Maybe Shujinko was good at this job before but not now. Maybe she will get new clients that like her clumsy and quiet nature. Me if I forgot who I was this would not be the place I found find myself. I would say screw you floating spirit kid, I am going to a hospital, not to such a demanding job.
Photobucket
You are already out of the running in my book!
But it seems like everyone likes Shujinko. She might be slightly different but they seem to want to help her and guide her through her job. They should be guiding her towards a hospital but I guess that isn't going to happen. Now since every reserve harem show has to have a favorite (well in any harem show...) it looks like Shin and his questionable fashion sense self might be the one Shujinko ends up with. He was the first male she saw when she woke up which usually means he will have the strongest connection. Toma seems too playful, Kent seems too serious, and Ikki gives off a big brother vibe. So congrads Shin. Now find some better clothes.
Photobucket
MORE GLARES!!!!
Things were going okay for Shujinko, her almost having a moment with Ikki. But since she was so confused at work Ikki had to help her out quite a bit. And the table Ikki was waiting on didn't look too happy about that. Now I thought that they were just going to be jealous customers who would pick on Shujinko later, perhaps during their next visit. But they go to Shujinko's house (followed home or were friends previously) and got all up in her face saying she broke a promise? X____X
Photobucket
I am thinking that these are not people you want to be knowing Shujinko....
And that is how the episode ends. With Shujinko looking confused over who these girls are. She seems to have a bit of a flashback, that she used to hang out with these girls and had longer hair? But Shujinko passes out as the girls yell at her so I guess we will have to wait until next time to see what their problem is and if this show is going to be supernatural, romantic, or superficial in nature. Until then peace.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello @Christina

Finally, The Adventures of Potato Princess and Friends 2.0 show is here! :D
Hopefully, it'll be more interesting than the original Potato Princess.

Well, if you're having trouble with her name, you can just nickname her "Princess" and call it a day-- I feel a "lost princess" vibe from our protagonist and all the guys are her "knights" trying to help her. I guess you can be happy that this show doesn't have a moe-moe high school setting like ALMOST all the other shows out there. So, Amnesia scores a another point in my book.

Hmm, about everyone's age: I think they all recently graduated from high school and are in work/college right now. They all look young and are probably in their early twenties. I could be wrong and there will be a high school setting with stereotypical moe-moe factors in the next episode. D: I think I can safely speak for almost everyone that the moe high school environment is becoming a bit stale right now.

I think the "princess" should be grateful that four complete random strangers (and one spirit) are helping with her amnesia and dedicated to it. I understand that this show is a harem for females (I think), but it was nice to see a desperate girl receive the treatment needed by four stranger (plus a spirit) who may be her "knights".

I don't understand why the other characters who are familiar with her just explain everything in a calm and rational manner to her. Sure, it's a massive load of information to take in for our poor protagonist, but at least she would have the entire story and not be confused anymore--the mean girls were doing it wrong at the end!

I think she still lives with her parents. Japan is an expensive place to live and there's no way she could afford all the basic necessities of living on a maid cafe's salary. Or she could be staying with another family member. We might find out later.

Out of curiosity, Christina, I would like to know why you don't like maid cafes. You seem to be most critical of that occupation. Too much fanservice for you?

That's all for the "princess".



Anonymous said...

First anonymous here

Forgot to add:

Just finished re-watching the episode again, and of course she can't tell anyone besides Orion about her amnesia. So they can't tell her who she with everything.

I stand corrected.

Anonymous said...

I don't know about you, but when I first though of Amnesia I think about "Amnesia: The Dark Descent", the winner of horror games, it can made grown men cry out of fear. So I think there may be some "darkness" to this anime.

I think Orion act as a guide in the game/anime so we can get to know some character/boys better.

Also she seems to have suffered a serious trauma from their bullying in the past though so they’re probably jealous of her attention from guys. (See! we already have lots hints of her past) Ikki, well you will later found out his name is not really "Ikki" but I won't spoil anything, oh also, he is my favored >_< LOVE IKKI!!

Also, same as you, what's w/ all the cards and suits for the representation of each male that she can hook up w/? I am more interested in her History, like how did she meet these guys? What do they see/saw in her? There is a lot of potential for hidden secrets and discoveries to be made.

Christina said...

Anonymous- I hope the non highschool vibe continues! I mean....18 or 19, is there much of a difference age wise? Not really but being out on your own and not seeing the same old thing (school festivals, exams, ect) will be nice. If that is the case.

The whole not having a name thing is throwing me off. Feels so odd and out of place. But if I call her princess I might slip and add the Potato part in.

Even though she didn't tell everyone that she is suffering from amnesia I would have thought they would have figured it out. Or maybe she would have searched her room and found out info for herself. Seems to me all she is doing is work and sleeping so far.

I think the idea of maid cafes is cute if that is what you are into and everyone involved is okay with the situation. For me I get SUPER uncomfortable when sales people talk to me. Like the people who try to talk to you from stands i pretend to be on my phone and go out of my way to avoid them. I walk around people handing out free samples. The people trying to sell time shares or vacation packages at Disney or Universal must think I am a freak because I just run from them. So given the fact I was so embarrassed when the maids were just trying to give me their flyers in Japan I can only imagine what I would do if I had to go into one. All that attention on me and the polite speech and attention DEAR LORD X___X XD So yeah. If you come to my pizza place I keep things short and polite in case people are like me. Not judging anyone who works at those type of places if that is what they want to do and don't feel objectified. Because really there are way worse jobs out there to be had.

Anonymous 2- I thought all the card references and weird clothes would mean that they all came from some magical place and are really are knights sent to protect their princess. Which would mean they are all pretending to be normal humans and working together. But one would think they would stop the act when alone with their princess yes? But they didn't so I don't know what is up.

As for girls being jealous....it just remind me of my precious Asako. Some girls can't help but be adorable. Sometimes it is forced and they are man stealers but clearly that is not the case here. Or at least now.