Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Rest in peace Kiki

Earlier today me and my husband had to make the tough decision to put down our oldest cat. He lost a lot of weight suddenly and today he didn't want to eat or drink at all, not even when I gave him his favorite treats. We thought it was a thyroid problem but in addition to that it turned out he had a large tumor near and in his liver.

Photobucket

Kiki last Christmas. Much joy with string and ribbon.

Obviously this is a very sad and trying time. Kiki wasn't featured very much on this blog. His sister Kira was more of the in your face give me LOVE kind of cat. But I had Kiki for 16 years. I had him before I knew my husband whom I've known forever. Just....there is a very big hole in our family right now.

Love you Kiki. You were a giant pain in the butt....but you were my giant pain in the butt.

4 comments:

eternia said...

16 years...
you should let him rest in peace.
at my place, most cats' lifespan are just 9-10 years.
:-)

Anonymous said...

Oh I'm sorry, I have a cat too and I can't imagine what it's like having to do that.

Anonymous said...

That's so sad!
I've lost 2 cats before, and I can imagine the feeling.
Of course, one of my cats was ran over and she had just turned 4, and the other one went MIA last year, but they are still missed.
At least he's in a better place now and is not suffering any longer.

Christina said...

Everyone- Thank you for your kind words. While I had a feeling this was going to be his last Christmas I didn't think the end would come so soon. I really thought we would walk out of the vets office with a bag of pills. But at least this way we know he did not suffer. And it was loads better than coming home finding him passed away.

My heart goes out to anyone who has lost a pet. Such a profound sadness has entered my heart. I think if I didn't have such a sweetheart in my other cat Kira I would be in a much darker place.

Having a pet owner can be very challenging at times and this is the last and saddest of the challenges. Now it is time to focus on the happy and silly times we had together. I hope everyone who has lost a pet can do that and those who still have their fur babies can hold them tighter and cherish the fun times they still have to come.