Monday, January 2, 2012

Codename Sailor V Manga Review

When it was announced earlier this year that the Sailor Moon mangas were going to be re-released in the United States fans everywhere cheered. Probably my baby momma friend the most. As for me I have all original 18 mangas (some in pretty….LOVED condition) as Sailor Moon was the very first manga I collected. I was interested in how the translations would go this time around as some of the words used in the original were a bit iffy. I thought they used way too many American references and what not.

No for me the real excitement was the FIRST release of the manga Codename Sailor V! Which makes absolutely no sense as Codename Sailor V was released first in Japan (but had such a slow release date finished after Sailor Moon). I have no idea why it took so long to get over to our side of the world. I am sure it had something to do with legal matters and blah blah. In any event I was so happy to finally have a chance to own Codename Sailor V.

Photobucket

Why didn't you just read me on the internet crazy!?

Despite the fact that NO ONE had this manga discounted at Anime Weekend Atlanta I picked up a copy. Can’t remember the last time I paid full price for a manga at that point. The second my husband passed out on that Friday I read that manga cover to cover. I didn’t get the second (and last) manga until the day after Christmas. Was trying to limit my purchases down in the spirit of giving. But finally I had a chance to sit down and read the second volume after everyone passed out from nonstop shopping. Here is my review on this SHORT series.



Photobucket

It's easier to be a magical girl when you have a team. Well when you are not sharing Grief Seeds and what not.

Perhaps I am just biased but I feel as if it was easier to read this series because I already read Sailor Moon. I think I would have felt a little lost picking up Codename Sailor V without any Sailor Moon background. Which is sorta special because the two mangas start off relatively the same. Girl describes her daily life, finds a talking cat, and morphs into a super hero. I don’t know, I felt as if Sailor Moon had more direction where Sailor Venus was taking orders from Artemis who was taking orders from someone HE DIDN’T KNOW.

Photobucket

Serena is that you?

I had a major problem with Mina in the anime series. She started off as the most serious Sailor Scout and towards the end she was the worst one. Serena became a more serious scout than her which I didn’t think was possible. It just came out of nowhere and slowly progressed into crazy. But now in the manga we can see that she was pretty much a boy loving, idol hunting, slightly self centered girl from the start. To me that makes more sense to have Mina start off as that person and then have two sides to her the entire rest of the time.

Artemis doesn’t seem as put together as Luna. But that also means he isn’t as rude or harsh as Luna was. He wasn’t operating with all the information at hand so it seemed pretty…weird he was able to lead a person into battle. But it seems he had just as hard of a job except that Mina was a good student whereas Serena was pretty sad.

Photobucket

Whatever comes to mind scream it and it is an attack!

I think that having a different attack every single battle was a bit much. It made the battle almost comical. Like oh you are the ice cream monster? Well it is whipped cream attack time! A little special at times. I think I would have preferred her attacks to do more with her growth as Sailor Venus than some sense of humor thing.

Photobucket

While you're at it pick up that garbage too!

I do like and understand now why Sailor V was so popular in the Sailor Moon universe. She wasn’t just a serious super hero. She was more of a help granny across the street and rescue cats from trees type of person. That makes her a more relateable person as Sailor Moon usually would go around and help people once they were brainwashed and unconscious. So Sailor V is like the cops only she wears a super cute uniform.

Photobucket

This is in the middle of the IMPORTANT battle at the end of the series. Like wtf?!

I felt as if this manga never got serious. Towards the end I suppose Mina GOT IT 3 pages before the story ended but even then there was a comical moment thrown in. Like oh Mina is fighting the main bad guy but let’s have a silly scene with her being boy crazy thrown in. I mean….if things were serious all the time that wouldn’t be much fun. But I never got a sense of urgency with Mina. Not even a bit of sadness when she was told that she would never be able to love anyone due to her duties. I just wish there was of a serious Mina.

Photobucket

The crane machine levels of the game places are fun though!

I did like the random cameos the girls made throughout the series. I wonder if these cameos were mainly done AFTER the Sailor Moon manga so people could go MOG there is Serena and what not. Otherwise things might not make much sense.

Photobucket

What he goes to both schools or something?

I know that Codename Sailor V came out first….but goodness gracious. Why do two of Mina’s friends look exactly like Serena’s friends? The best girlfriend looks like Amy and the nerd friend looks like…well the nerd friend. No variety at all. To me that is a bit lazy. Actually a lot lazy and boring. And confusing. Le sigh.

A lot of other people have complained about the rushed translations and inconsistent word choices. Like they would flip flop from Japanese type terms to more American terms. It probably would have been best to stick with one way of writing things but overall that didn’t hurt my reading of the manga.

Photobucket

I sensed the cop could have brought more to the story than she did.

I guess my biggest problem with the manga was it was entirely too short! Due to the huge volumes it reduced the number from 3 to 2 but still…still! 3 mangas would not be enough either. Maybe had there been more we could have seen more growth in Mina. Have her hunt down the Sailor Scouts and what not. Instead it just seemed to end very abruptly. Too many chapters were based on the animal monsters that had nothing to do with the story which could have opened up more pages for the cops stuff.

So I guess the manga was a success if I wish there was more volumes to it. Yes I do think it could have been stronger and maybe Mina didn’t have to be so crazy. But I see these two volumes as being very complimentary to the Sailor Moon volumes. Not as strong but a nice addition. I enjoyed both the volumes and would recommend them to any major Sailor Moon fan. It took long enough but we finally got them guys!

No comments: