Sunday, January 1, 2012

2011 Anime Highs and Lows Tenchi Style!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

This post was supposed to be up yesterday before midnight. Yeah. XD I thought I had started the post in mid-December but apparently all I did was write the topics out on a Word document. GO ME! Between the FUN and the drama (Already folks?! GOSH) last night I didn’t have time to finish. And then I woke up at like 2 pm today. So…here is the post now.

While there were lots of amazing moments this year in anime I tried to limit it down to my top moments and my low moments. Things that I really liked and things that I wish I could blast off to the moon. There are tons of spoilers in this post so beware!



Photobucket

How can you not laugh at this?!

Funniest Moment: All Uglies eating everyone in town via corn on the cob and blenders.(Blood-C)

There were actually a ton of moments to choose from. There were many comedy shows that I watched and plenty of scenes from serious shows that had crazy moments. Especially Mirai Nikki with Minene’s WTF faces and Rider from Fate/Zero with his quest for a shirt.

So I thought I would pick something that actually made me laugh. Like mog I had to stop the computer so I could take a moment. And that would be episode 12 of Blood-C. Saya spent the entire series trying to save people and failed so speculararly in the end. Every single person minus TWO died. The writers pulled out all the stops too. Like nope we aren’t just going to cap people in the heads. We are going to turn them into fun little snacks, we are going to spray the town with bullets, we are going to run them over with cars, and we are going to eat them like corn on the cob. Corn on the COB people. Add in the fact we couldn’t even SEE any of this and it was the funniest thing I saw all year. Amazing.


Photobucket

:( Just so sad.

Saddest Moment: Nezumi crying over the fact Sion turned into a monster (No. 6).

I probably could have said….everything in Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica. But that would probably be too easy. Although I was pretty upset when Mami died. But it happened so fast it was more like X___X than :(. But when Nezumi, the biggest badass in the entire series was on the floor crying that his (love) friend had been changed by all the violence around him it touched me. Of course it was upsetting when when Sion “died” but I think Nezumi was more like whatever at that point. So yes Nezumi crying was my saddest moment this year.


Photobucket

Well of course that is the logical conclusion!

Best Twist: Everything that came out of Kyubey’s mouth in Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.

I think the BIGGEST twist was that magical girls were really witches in training. Magical girl shows usually have the cute girls battling the baddies not BECOMING the baddies. It was such a turning point in a show that already had a X__X moment with Mami dying and the revelation that the girls were walking zombies. Of course the twist that Homura MADE Madoka the biggest witch ever was a pretty good twist. Basically the entire show okay!!!


Worst Twist: The entire plot of Blood-C.

Okay maybe that was a little harsh. I was slightly surprised that Shinichiro was the asshole and not Itsuki. The entire town tricking Saya was the only twist for me. It was OBVIOUS that Fumito was the one behind the scenes. It was OBVIOUS that Saya was Queen of the Uglies. It was OBVIOUS that her dad was not really her dad. And it was OBVIOUS that this show was trying too hard to be something great and amazing when it wasn’t. And it was OBVIOUS this show only existed to make money off the movie. And it is obvious it will fail at that.


Favorite Opening Theme Song: Kuso Mesorogiwi" by Yousei Teikoku (Mirai Nikki)

The Engrish in this song is so unrecognizable I was shocked when I read the lyrics. I guess I just made up my own lyrics in my head that made more sense. But putting that aside this song is pretty amazing. I can just imagine in my head Yuno being so crazy and running around slashing people. Oppies was that spoilery? XD It just seemed to bounce all over the place and I enjoyed the ride.

Close second would be Spiral by Dustz (Blood-C). Not only did this song have Engrish but it had random pieces of French. It really made the series worth watching because of the kick ass song. A song that Saya did not deserve. XD A great battle song for a series that was mostly about singing and birds.


Favorite Closing Theme Song: Blood-teller by Faylan (Mirai Nikki)

I think I have listened to this song about 438924374 times and it has only been available since the end of November. Sometimes I get a little obsessed with things I like… Usually I find Closing Songs to be way too slow for my taste. This one though really has quite an interesting beat and a sad tone to it. Especially given the tone of the show. I end up feeling bad for a bunch of killers after hearing this song. It just makes me happy hearing this song. Very powerful.

A very VERY close second would be Magia by Kalafina (Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica). Like a super close second. I have listened to this song about a million times too and I love it. I also love all the different versions of this song that float around on youtube. I like how this song had to be hidden before episode 3 because HAHA it was a bit of a Debbie downer. But I really loved this song.


Photobucket

Look how awesome Mami is!!!

Favorite Female Character: Mami from Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica

If this category was most badass female character the answer might be Homura or Yuno from Mirai Nikki. But it’s not. This is my favorite character category. Or maybe in my mind it is the prettiest. Despite the fact Mami was dead by episode 3 and only seen briefly in episodes 10 and 12…I still love her. The husband questions my love for Mami after seeing the series himself as well. I guess I can’t explain it. Love her outfit, love her hair design, and love how she had such an attitude with Homura. She was WRONG but given what she knew it was the correct response. She shown Sayaka and Madoka how to be “heroes” while telling the how rough it was going to be. She didn’t sugar coat things but revealed such a vulnerable side when she asked Madoka to be her partner. She was shown to be a good teacher in episode 10 yet when things got bad she went INSANE and lost her mind. She was fun to watch and I love seeing people cosplay her.


Photobucket

A lot of empty space in her head....


Least Favorite Female Character: Saya from Blood-C

I think this is pretty much self-explanatory if one has seen this series. Saya spent the first 10 episodes of the series singing lame ass songs about flowers, rain drops, and cracks in the cement. Even after every single one of her classmates were brutally killed she still finds amazing things to sing about. She was happy to have her coffee and blood candy. Then TADA she is revealed her past and suddenly she is a badass. No, not buying it. Oh and badass Saya doesn’t make much sense either. She feeds on The Uglies but was trying to save them? She wants to eat humans but wants to save them too? Just no folks. Add in the fact that Saya saved one person (who probably died later in the last episode) out of an ENTIRE TOWN and she was pretty much useless. Useless useless.


Photobucket

You do realize this is a 2010 anime right?

Favorite Male Character: Errr….Saito from Hakuouki Hekketsuroku

I really had to go back through my blog and read all the shows I watched this year to come up with an answer. XD Good thing I watched this show or I would have NO ONE! But in this one show I had a few male characters I liked. Actually there were only a few male characters I didn’t like and hated Chizuru. XD

But yes. Saito is hot. And he lived. XD He kept a cool head and when he had adorkable moments they were amazing. And he didn’t love Chizuru. So…yeah I liked him.


Photobucket

Nothing is Kyouhei's fault EVER!!!

Least Favorite Male Character: Kyouhei from Kamisama Dolls

This one was rather easy for me. Now….animes are often filled with “weak” boys who don’t do anything yet the girls still seem to flock to them. Yuki from Mirai Nikki and Shu from Guilty Crown comes to mind. HOWEVER Kyouhei actually could do something! He came from a position of power and at one point had a device TO change things. Yet he did nothing and crap spiraled downhill. Then he spent the rest of the series going WOE IS ME. Yeah right. You washed your hands of everything and didn’t lift a finger to help. Your baby sister was more of a help running into buildings and what not.


Photobucket

Why did you leave?!

Favorite Couple: Sion and Nezumi from No. 6

What no Fai and Kurogane? XD I kid I kid. Yes I did pick a yaoi couple. But these two young men brought something new to the table. Maybe it is because they aren’t EXACTLY a couple despite the fact they kissed each other like three times (well I think the light novel was a bit more obvious in the love but you know). But nothing was flowery or over the top. It was just the gradual coming together of two people despite their genders. And I think that reached more people than a straight yaoi show would. Now I know some people on the internets were like WOOHOO cool show except the “gay” stuff (their words not mind) but maybe this show opened someone’s mind and showed people that HEY gay people are just like straight people and it is natural.


Photobucket

I am pretty sure Yoshino is insane for saying this.

Least Favorite Couple: Hatori and Yoshino from Sekai Ichi Hatsukoi

Like……where do I begin? First of all….yeah 10 of liking someone and not saying anything is stalkerish. STALKER! The main couple in this show loved each other for 10 years BUT DIDN’T SEE EACH OTHER! That is different. But this is just weird. Weird folks. How can you see someone every single day and devote your career to helping the person you love and NOT say anything?

Then Yoshino has the IQ of a gingerbread cookie. After people say that they are in love with him he is like oh this is just a joke right? Yeah it is Mr. Unobvious.
And then once they became a couple they were boring, never spent any time together, and had stupid misunderstandings that went on for way too long. Too much of this series was devoted to their stupidity and I did not appreciate this.


Photobucket

Obvious turning point of this show....

Favorite Series: Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica

I think people either love this show with all their hearts or think it is merely okay and way too hyped. Obviously I am from the first camp. While I understand WHY there was a delay in the last two episodes it was hard to wait for them. On pins and needles. And I almost didn’t watch the show. I was like….oh I guess I need a little fluff show to fill my time. And the monsters were so….interesting in the first episode I was like OH BOY! But then this show slowly changed from a happy magical girl show to a down right dark future with death all over the place. And all the twists folks!! X____X While this show was not perfect I think it was pretty dang close.


Photobucket

What we didn't win?!

Least Favorite Series: Kamisama Dolls

Like…..I don’t even know where to begin with this show. Maybe with the fact that it hasn’t been picked up for a second season and not be for a while. The way they left the show it would NEED a second season to make sense and if that doesn’t happen it was just one giant waste of time. Like nothing really got accomplished if that is the case.

Second the main character was obviously annoying and useless. We had some lead girl who had the grossest boobs in the world. The person that everyone was supposed to hate was pretty dang likeable (except for killing that random dude in the first episode….). And when every single adult is pretty much trash…yeah..it was hard to find things likeable about this show.

And it sounded interesting to begin with. I guess I was just disappointed because people were excited about this show and I wanted to be excited. Then I didn’t realize why everyone else was excited. Just bleh.

And I think that is about it! My highs and lows for the 2011 animes season! Will 2012 bring some amazing shows or just a bunch of bleh ones? Will I ever catch up on blogging? Will my grammar ever improve? Here is to 2012! XD

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So funny, I dropped so many shows that I forgot all these were 2011. Madoka seems like it's been more than a year.

When I got to worst couple, I was surprised that you didn't put Chiaki and Tori from Sekaiichi Hatsukoi until I remembered that Hatori and Yoshino ARE Chiaki and Tori. I too didn't appreciate their stupidity and I dropped the series for a while, but now that I see from your Ep.11 screenie there's more of Yokozawa being bitchy I will pick it up because I am probably the only person who likes him.

Also, LOL on the COB comment, you could change your MOG occasionally to COB.

Happy New Year!

eternia said...

Wow. This is such a long post, but it's totally worth reading. Even worth saving, because I agree with all your opinions. :-)
Blood-C's ending is the funniest one for me too. Because the maker tried too hard to portray gore and violence, only that it turned out to be comedy show. What's with eating humans as if they are takoyaki? Puttting them into blender to make human juice? LOL!
Just wow.
I would pick Blood-C to be the worst show I have watched last year, with Kamisama Dolls coming in second. The latter episodes were definitely boring, with the appearance of the whiny little bitch and all. But the early episodes were good, with all the dolls fighting, and Koshirou, he's hot! The twins relationship is pretty cute too. :-) Kyouhei is an ass, though.
But Blood-C. I can't bring myself to like any of the characters. Ep 12 is only one entertaining, because it gave me a good laugh. But how about episode 1 to 11. 3 minutes for OP and ED, 15 minutes for bland life, stupid singing and stupid father-daughter moment, 5 minutes for fighting without purpose. Because she didn't save anyone. And she didn't gain any new information. Why did you break the covenant?! Please remember your promise! They are repeated over and over and over! The totally cool opening song is wasted on this anime.

Christina said...

Anonymous- It is amazing how fast a year can go by and yet it seems like it goes on forever. I had to go back through all my posts (which is probably why I went over my bandwidth for the month, all the posts I had to go through) to make sure I remembered all these series. Shows like A Channel and YuriYuri were just...okay. Take them or leave them but they didn't add enough to even make the list.

But yes. Worse couple of the year hands down. Which is sad because there were three couples in that one show. Other shows have a main couple the entire time thus get more screen time. It is sad that Yoshino and Hatori weren't on our screens that much yet we hate them with a passion. Just...so much annoying attributes in one couple it makes you want to scream.

But if you pick up the series again that couple does go away, leaving Takano to become a slightly angry sick mess. And the truth is finally revealed. Silly things like names MATTER. XD

I need to work COB into my vocabulary somehow. That is too good to pass up. XD

Christina said...

Eternia- Maybe my New Year's Resolution should have been not to be so wordy. XD Take comfort in the fact that I AM actually limiting myself as I talk...a lot in real life. A LOT. XD

Blood C was so bad it was hilarious. Well the last episode anyway. Episodes 1-11 nearly put me into a coma. Maybe I liked to snark this show because it reminds me of a Sci-Fi movie. Some of those movies are so horrible they become amazing.

So I am not sure if the last episode was worth everything we went through with Blood-C. The obvious villain, the hero who never saved anyone, and a town full of liars.

But in the end we should really mourn for the opening theme song. It really was wasted on this lame anime. Le sigh.