Thursday, February 3, 2011

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica episode 5

Rejoice people!!! No one yelled at me today. Let me write this down so when tomorrow falls to pieces I can look back and see that I had a good day. Before the Cloverfield monster came and ate me and all my friends of course.

And also it is Thursday. Thursdays are now dedicated to the weird series that is Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica. I think Thursdays are like that for a lot of anime lovers now. We can’t wait to see what is going to happen next in this crazy show. Something has to save this anime season you knows.

Photobucket

Sayaka mourns for Mami. She really does.

So spoilers for….magical girls not getting along. WOOHOO!!!



Photobucket

WTF was with this episode and the random STILL shoots? Like it was so jumpy.

Episode Summary: The opening of the episode shows Sayaka making her contract with Kyubey and how the process occurs. Sayaka made her wish and her…jewels comes out her body and Kyubey generally looked creepy throughout the whole thing. At school the next day Hitomi talks about her “sleep walking” experience and what a bummer it is to have to go to the hospital to make sure she doesn’t die. Sayaka laughs at the whole situation while Madoka is still sad about Mami. Like she should be. After school Madoka hangs out with Sayaka. Sayaka has decided to take Mami’s place and not think about the sadness anymore. That and Sayaka feels slightly guilty that if she had decided to be a magical girl sooner Mami might still be alive. Sayaka leaves to go see Kamijo at the hospital. He is very WOOHOO this is a miracle and Sayaka is smiling all over the place. Also Kamijo apologizes for being an asshole last episode. Sayaka takes him to the roof where his people (and some random doctors) where Kamijo is given back his violin. He plays it and Sayaka declares to Mami this is the best day of her life. Elsewhere the new girl Kyoko is like bitch I will kill you Sayaka. Kyubey sorta stands there and acts like he doesn’t know anything but warns fighting Sayaka might end in tears.

Photobucket

Well next time they can leave you for dead if this is too hard for you...

Madoka meets with Homura to ask her to team up with Sayaka. She doesn’t want Sayaka to go splat and thinks Homura can stop that from happening. Homura declines and regrets not being able to stop Sayaka from being a magical girl. Madoka then goes to Sayaka and asks to go on the witch hunts even if it is just to be supportive. This makes Sayaka happy and more confident. Kyubey is like YES COME and be a magical girl too. Soon they find a familiar. I think he was a crayon monster. Sayaka transforms and tries to kick ass. Only Kyoko appears and allows the familiar to get away. Kyoko says that it will be become a witch after killing someone and then it might drop a grief seed. Madoka and Sayaka go X____X. Like she is a million times worse than Homura?! But basically Kyoko hates the whole let’s safe the world attitude and intends to beat it out of Sayaka. She tries to do so but Kyubey pulls some random rule from his nonexistent ass and says since Sayaka wished for healing another person she has super healing powers now. Okay. Mhmm. So Sayaka and Kyoko keep on fighting and Madoka is all NOOOOOOOOOO. Kyubey is like well you could stop this all if you just became a magical girl…….Before Madoka can say anything Homura arrives on the scene and breaks up the fight. THE END!

So…is Madoka ever going to become a magical girl?

My guess is no. Or not until the very last episode. I am beginning to really think that the first part of episode one wasn’t some dream to set up this series. It really is going to be the end of the series.

Photobucket

Me thinks you will be seeing Mami really soon there....

Which really will suck for Sayaka as she is not there. Homura is fighting the witch alone and Madoka is told to become a magical girl to help her out. Which means Sayaka would splat before then. Of course if that really happens would Madoka even be standing still? Wouldn’t she be in the corner sobbing her eyes out and unable to even function? But yes I am going to stand by my theory and say that the first part of episode 1 will be the end of the series and that spells bad stuff for Sayaka.

Photobucket

This show really likes shadows doesn't it?

But let’s talk about the happy stuff. Like Sayaka not caring at all about Mami. Someone last week said that Sayaka is supposed to represent the more mature side of the situation while Madoka is representing the sobbing all over the place side. Okay. Maybe I was buying that last week. But now she is skipping around acting like she is better than Mami? Or at least just as great as her. Madoka is still really upset about seeing someone’s head getting bitten off and Sayaka is like yeah I am Mami’s junior, shame she died.

Photobucket

I think this scene really shows the contrasting emotions between the two girls.

Or that is the kinda attitude I am detecting from her. She is quick to celebrate with her man and his newly working hands. I mean couldn’t she look really wistful, peering up at the sky or something? No? She has to say yo Mami this is the best day ever. Like….really? I just died and this is your best day ever? Or that is what I would be thinking in heaven. Or WHY DIDN’T YOU BRING ME BACK! Something like that anyway. I don’t know, even if my greatest wish was fulfilled I would still be all traumatized and stuff. Like a bitter sweet kind of feeling.

Photobucket

You gonna regret this...

Or maybe I am just being harsh. I don’t know, it just seems weird to me. The rest of the show seems so dark and Sayaka is either really missing the point or represents the crazy selfish side of humans. Or how dumb girls can be when it comes to boys.

Photobucket

Remember that moment when you are torn limb from limb.

I am surprised that nothing happened between Kamijo and Sayaka. Of course there is still time for him to reject her (or hook up with someone else) and Sayaka to drown in sorrow while a witch eats her face. But for now Sayaka is happy. That is good because that means when the wish works against her like Mami said the downfall will be all the more tragic to watch. Because that is why we are watching this now folks. Not to see happy magical girls working together. Nope. We are watching to see how bad things can get.

Speaking of bad the new girl in town is a real piece of work. We keep seeing different sides of magical girls and I really like it. I think. Even if deep down I have been indoctrinated to want peace and love and everyone working together. But now we have seen a magical girl who had to be one (Mami), a girl who really regrets her decision (Homura), a girl who decided to be one for a really dumb reason (for a boy and Sayaka), and a girl who is bat shit crazy. Enter Kyoko.

Photobucket

Saving the world is so 90's!!!!

Yeah she is crazy. While Homura has just become jaded to the world and all the sadness that comes with it Kyoko is pretty evil. Or at least super selfish. Not caring more about a boy playing the violin over your dead friend kinda selfish. The kind of selfish where she will LET people die so she can recharge her magical girl battery. So not only does she want to kick Sayaka’s ass for no reason she doesn’t want to protect the city and doesn’t care if people die. If that isn’t everything a magical girl isn’t supposed to be I don’t know what is. And I am pretty sure that last sentence would make an English teacher cry.

Photobucket

Break it up bitches.

I hope that more is shown of Kyoko. I don’t want her to be an asshole magical girl with no reasoning behind it. I am not really feeling the whole bad girl deal without back story. Homura I can understand without seeing all the details. I would like to see them but I think we all understand what Homura is jaded due to all the deaths she has witnessed. But I won’t be satisfied that Kyoko is randomly just an asshole. Something had to have happened. I DEMAND ANSWERS!

Photobucket

TOO SOON! WAY TOO SOON! XO

That being said I think Sayaka got the short end of the weapon stick. Mami got guns and Kyoko got….whatever it is she has. And Sayaka got a sword. Not liking how her swords appear like Mami (TOO SOON) but they are swords. Swords are usually cool when other people have swords too. But now Sayaka looks like a little knight in the middle of a nuke fight.

Photobucket

Even Kyoko is like WTF dude.

Oh and Kyubey is evil. Like how doesn’t he know if Homura made a contract with him or not? Why wouldn’t he tell Kyoko who was in town? Is he trying to pit the magical girls against each other? And could he be any more obvious with the BE A MAGICAL GIRL Madoka if he tried? I just hope that every time something bad happens Kyubey isn’t there holding a BE A MAGICAL GIRL sign or something. We get it evil little creature. You want Madoka to be a magical girl. Now I want to see why you need her so badly.

Photobucket

So like can you protect my stupid friend so she doesn't get nommed too?

What I really liked about this episode was Madoka trying to ask Homura to join forces with Sayaka. Madoka doesn’t want to risk her life yet she doesn’t want to leave Sayaka hanging. I thought it was very smart of Madoka to ask the senior magical girl for help. She knew that Sayaka’s pride wouldn’t allow it so she went to Homura herself. Also I think she was also counting on using the “you don’t want to see another magical girl to die right?! So you really should work with her so Sayaka lives” angle. I like your sneaky side Madoka, even if I had to make it up.

And I like that Homura said no. Because we can’t have friendship and comrades and sparkles. This show is not about the sparkles. It is about heads rolling and people committing suicide. And really why should Homura say yes? Her whole reasoning for being all alone girl is that she is tired of seeing other magical girls die. So if she worked with Sayaka the chances of her witnessing her death would be increase and then Homura would feel guilty. So Homura is trying to distance herself from more pain while showing Madoka how serious business this magical girl stuff is.

Photobucket

Behold the face of evil.

I would say something about next week…but they show nothing. But I am sure it will involve Madoka being sad about Mami and her screaming “we shouldn’t be fighting at all!!!”.

2 comments:

blindability said...

I totally agree with your thoughts that Madoka might not become a Mahou Shojou until the end of the season - which might also open up for a second season. I hadn't thought about Sayaka not being around though; am I the ONLY person who hasn't forseen the death of Puella Magi Sayaka!?

Probably.

Christina said...

blindability- I think the second Sayaka said "this is the happiest moment of my life" she sealed her fate. Even if she wasn't in that "dream" Madoka had based on why Sayaka became a magical girl and the amount of DANGER placed into her head before making the wish was foreshadowing her death. Of course maybe it was only to foreshadow Mami's SURPRISING short appearance but I think that the good, "pure" friend will live (Madoka) while the....less emotional Sayaka will bite the dust.

Of course if this is true I can't see Sayaka wanting to be a magical girl. Or being a functional human being. We shall see. But if Kyoko can take Sayaka's place on the death note I support that too.