Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Love Pistols manga (also known as Sex Pistols)

Warning: The following is about yaoi XO If that is not your cup of tea then I suggest running for the hills. Even though I am not going to post anything rated R pictures I feel as if there should be some warning. Sad that one does not have to warn for straight sex or boobies. CHANGE PEOPLE! Let’s change the world one mind at a time.

So after that random opening what am I going to talk about? The manga Sex Pistols. Or Love Pistols depending on what version you are reading. Try to search Sex Pistols and you aren’t going to get ANY information. Search Love Pistols and you will get….the world’s tiniest amount of info. Go us!!!

Photobucket

Spoiler alert: someone gets thrown from a building. And they marry their attacker!!!

But yes. Spoilers for the manga Love Pistols and all that in details. XD



Photobucket

Oh okay. It all makes sense now.

Brief Synopsis of the manga: 30% of humans are not descended from apes but from other animals. These humans refer to themselves as Madarame. There are different levels of seed and desirability between the different species. Males can also become pregnant and carry babies to term. One day Norio’s normal high school life is crumbled when everyone starts looking like animals and trying to molest him. Things get even weirder when an upper classman takes particular interest in him. The story follows Norio as he finds out he is a special kind of Madarama and how he is now tied to Kunimasa and his huge ass family. Oh and everyone is gay. The end.

Photobucket

The details...just so many details.

My first issue with this manga is…the characters. I spent most of the time super confused. If it wasn’t the amount of characters it was the characters looking super familiar with one another. After a while it was just a blend of huge men and tiny boys. Some had blond hair and some had dark hair. It really reminded me of Our Kingdom. All the characters looked so similar and it gave me a headache trying to keep them straight.

Photobucket

I wish I had 4 dads and two moms too. Sounds amazing.

So on top of everyone looking alike most of the main characters are related to each other. And not in the traditional ways of my dad slept with someone else so we are half-brothers. No it is more like everyone has the same MOM and she went out and had all these relationships. Oh and two of her partners also hooked and had a baby too. So everyone is related and the concept of mom and dad are out the window. Which in any other instance I would be happy. But since I am already confused on WHO people are good luck on me remembering who belongs to who.

Photobucket

Um that is a man. That is your husband.

There are those two issues. Then there is the matter of referring to males as women. I have no problem with that if that is what the person wants to be referred to as. I do have a problem with it when someone is referred to in a gender they do not identify with. I also have a problem when someone is getting called out of their gender and are being referred to as a woman in a possessive way. As if being a woman automatically means you are lower on the food chain and you BELONG to someone. So it pisses me off as someone who thinks calling someone out of their preferred gender is wrong and it pisses me off that men are being called women because basically they are belongings.

Photobucket

Still...no. Just no.

Of course this issue and the whole…..really, REALLY sleeping around issue might not be a big deal considering the kind of world most of the characters live in. Not Norio of course but many of the other characters. They have a closer ties to their animal selves and animals don't have silly moral issues. Their main goal IS making more of them and protecting the babies. Protecting the baby makers and proving who is the strongest. So maybe in this universe the behavior of the animal people is more understandable?

But does that really make sense since it was commented that the other animal people are trying to cut back on their numbers. I can’t remember where it was said but it was said. So if they are trying to cut back on the numbers can we really explain this heavy seed business? I don’t know.

Photobucket

Violence is so sexy.

This ALL being said…XO where were my sex scenes?! Norio and Kunimasa were having…issues if you would. But what about the other people? But what about Shiro and Yonekuni? We had two scenes of them hasing the sex and that is it. And the first scene Yonekuni was apparently not awake. But after that NOTHING. So the two main pairings are not having sex and most of the time not even touching. How is this a yaoi manga? XO GIVE ME THE SEX!!!!

With all of this being said….I do have to say Love Pistols is pretty….unique. I know the concept of humans not evolving from apes isn’t a new one but the thought of people evolving from snakes and panthers certainly is. Of course the idea of bears trying to have sex with cats may be a little X__X but at least the idea is new if the art work is lacking, there isn’t enough sex, and everyone is having off camera sex with everyone.

Photobucket

You had me at hello?

I felt bad for Norio in most of the chapters I read. Really I guess all of the brothers had weird upbringings with like 45 parents involved so maybe it was hard for them to love and stuff. But Norio thought he was growing crazy, was nearly molested by everyone in the world, and “fell in love” with some crazy fool who said hello with his penis/sperm. Really I am not sure how he is still alive in regards to all this crap. Oh and then he is told if he doesn’t pass some animal test he has to be locked up forever. STUFF OF DREAMS.

So overall….I guess I wasn’t that impressed with this manga. Which is sad because I was checking it out because of the OVA news. The overall plot is very weird and unique but the art was not my style. It was hard to tell the characters apart. And after so many chapters I wanted the main characters to actual have love in their hearts and not still all this doubt and insisting it was just for the seed or something. Factor in the new creepy sky dragon thingy animal and I am like…no. No thank you. My yaoi needs smutty scenes and eventual love. XD Because I am so romantic ya’ll.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your review was a treat to read! I l spewed laughter so often, I do believe I may now be the recipient of a "warning letter" write up from my local library.
I do like my yaoi with possessive, obsessive, violence-is-sexy-but-angsty-and-scary-too fantasy, but yah, totally confused and lacking in the character commitment department... for this ... strange ... little title.

Anonymous said...

(Talking on my head....) I had problems identifying characters, but then again I have those even with real life people, so I just go with it & hope that after reading and reading or watching and watching it'll "click"... Still I don't necessarily follow plots but what the author wanted to transmit, so maybe that makes the convoluted spin slower?.

Totally agree with you, except the love part.Maybe this Manga empathizes more with people who posses (or have seen) "insecure attachment styles"...{Indeed this should help people see how those with detached style behave}...
Now the " heavy seed business"... I understand it like this: Heavy-seeds have low birth rate. They are the hot thing right now because you can play and play and have no offspring... so, they are like a birth control method only more fun.

Before I go... I have some questions? What was the word used to refer to them ("women") in Japanese... does it match the context you suggested?. It's no secret that Japanese have a heavy patriarchal community and other sexism issues... but I'm very curious, cause like you I felt the sting when I saw such use.

Keep the good work and excuse my lack of cohesion... I suck at it...
Ktarsis.

Christina said...

mightymaeve- Don't kicked out of your library. XD Of course this is months later....but yes. I apologize for the spewing.

I am okay with some obsessive behavior but that usually comes from characters who are only focused on the object of their obsession. It really makes no sense to tell the uke you are MINE when the seme is running around trying to bang everyone else.

Ktarsis- Sorry for such a late response. I am not very familiar with the Japanese language so I am hoping it was just a translation issue. It did bother me a great deal as women are women and men are men. But you can still be a man and be in love with another man. And since ANYONE could have children it would make no sense to refer to the bottom as a woman.

The art style just made it very difficult for me to follow who was who, especially when the cast started expanding and getting out there. Add in that anyone could have anyone's babies and I felt I needed a poster board to keep it all straight.

The idea behind the manga was an interesting one. But I could only handle so much cheating and craziness before I ran away. XD

Jones said...

Such an interesting post. A lot information and very usefull. My regards!

Anonymous said...

My biggest issue with this manga is that the author can't seem to FINISH Norio's story for their LIFE. it leaves off on a cliffhanger, and then BAM ANOTHER SIDE STORY. ABOUT CHARACTERS COMPLETELY UNRELATED TO THE MAIN PLOT. and the side stories are so numerous and they go on forever, I can't even tell what the heck is going on anymore. For the love of God tell a coherent story!!!