Friday, July 2, 2010

New Anime Series! Amagami SS episode 1

A few months ago I posted my Summer 2010 Anime List. It was pretty small with two possible shows. I was asked why I didn’t have Amagami SS on my list. My reasoning was that I didn’t think I could watch a show where an obvious love interest was going to win. See we complain about have the same old harem romance and when we get something new I complain I want things the way they were!!!

Photobucket

I wonder what kind of audience this show caters too.....also this is not leap frog.

However I was massively bored yesterday and wanted to watch something. I thought maybe I was judging this show too harshly. Amagami SS was up and subbed and I thought why not. I am still a bit x_X about showing the same year/events 5 different times with 5 different ladies. But maybe it will be interesting to see how different girls can change the same guy or how their relationships will grow in different ways.

Light spoilers ahead since….episode wasn’t very forthcoming with information.



Photobucket

I think the show used up their allowance

Episode Summary: Junichi’s sister finds him moping around in a closet. Turns out that Junichi was dumped/stood up on Christmas Eve two years ago and he hasn’t gotten over it yet. Junichi marches on to school with his perverted best friend in tow. They spot a popular senior named Haruka. Junichi is very interested in her and finds himself accidentally spending time with the senior. Other girls are introduced as well: Tsukasa (hard working class representative), Rihoko (…..apparently a big girl, that’s all got said about her), Kaoru (childhood friend), Sae (shy freshmen who can’t buy her own bread), and Ai (random quiet girl). But despite the fact that Junichi interacts with all these single women he only has eyes for Haruka. Haruka sees Junichi as she saw him helping Sae out and enjoys spending time with him it appears. But when Junichi works up the nerve to tell Haruka his feelings she turns him down flat. Back into the closet he crawls. The end.

Photobucket

Way to take the surprise out of the episode.

XO Look at me having a short episode summary. Go me.

Photobucket

X_X The best friend looks pretty boring too.

Junichi is a very boring male lead. Male leads tend to be a little….special to say the least. They are never the jocks or the super stars. No they tend to be awkward “losers” who have never had dates. Apparently this appeals to Japanese Otaku because they represent themselves. I don’t know. But Junichi has no personality. Nothing that makes him stand out or interesting. Unless you count him having an emo attack in the closet. But I will find it hard to believe that all these girls will be beside themselves to hook up with this guy.

Of course I just put down a normal guy who seems devoted (or will be devoted) to a girl he likes. Isn’t that what every girl wants, a normal guy who can tell a few jokes and be sweet and caring at the same time? XO But he is no Tomoya!

Photobucket

She is so cute...yet so annoying!

I am not sure how I feel about all the characters being introduced in this episode. Yes it would make sense to see them around the halls but I think it was a bit much to make them so important to Junichi. I really like how Tomoya (in the side episodes) had completely different relationships with the other girls when he picked a different partner. Meh. Maybe it is too early to say what is going to happen. But maybe my line of thinking is silly anyway. He still would know these girls anyway despite who he picks.

Photobucket

Well then...aren't you nice and honest?!

Haruka needs to be shot out of a cannon and launched into the sun. I can’t believe she was leading Junichi on like that. And maybe it was leading on….but still. Smiling when you break someone’s heart is a little cruel. Maybe I am being a little too harsh on her but she was giving him mixed signals (especially during that little leap frog scene). I don’t know, she might be my least favorite girl and this is episode 1. X_X

Photobucket

Such a winner.

The rest of the show was either typical…or boring. I will never understand why bread is so important to a Japanese student lunch. Who wants to just eat bread? I learned that carrying 6 books is way too much for a girl and highlighters can transform a closet into space. Oh and that Junichi really needs to get over his middle school crush.

Photobucket

Very mixed feelings.

I have mixed feelings about this series already. A very slow start, each girl gets only 4 episodes, and Junichi might not be up to the task of being a leading man. I guess we will see. I shall stick with this series for now as my Fridays seem empty without Angel Beats! But things better shape up soon…or else. Yeah or else!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bitches and whores; and Lesbians

macy said...

I've never heard of this series but these lines --- "I will never understand why bread is so important to a Japanese student lunch. Who wants to just eat bread?" made me laugh so hard! I totally understand what you're saying! And it's always, "pushover gets forced to buy bread for everyone" <-- this always seem to be a favorite bullying technique.

Christina said...

macy- XO I don't get it!!! Have you have eaten just bread for lunch? No because that would be weird. I don;t get how you go from a bento box that is full of nutritional food....to just bread. And melon bread might as well be ice cream that's how sweet it is. X_X

And you are right. There is never enough bread for everyone so there is pushing and shoving and the freshmen starve. Really the schools should be ashamed of themselves.

Unknown said...

I'm still undecided whether or not I should pick up this anime. I mean, looking at this blog (I only read it because you said the spoiler alerts were minor and upon reading predicable) I can tell that it's not going to be special. However, I consider special to be Death Note so it's very hard for me to be impressed.

But yes, the main character looks as though he's going to annoy the hell out of me. He looks boring and arrogant; arrogant being that him getting ditched is soo much of a surprise that he hides in the closet like a wimp. Yuichi he ain't! If you're wondering why I didn't compare him to Tomoya is because I HATE Tomoya. So much. I could go on, but swearing would be involved. In fact, my opinion of Clannad was severely influenced by him. Hated that too.

I've always hated anime story lines with different timelines. It's like the writers couldn't be bothered to pick a girl and have a decent story line but, in this case 5, have several half-assed ideas they can't be bothered to do much effort on. Yes, I AM talking about the Tomoyo Chapter in Clannad. Hated her too. XD

What I'll probably do is wait for 2-3 episodes of this to air, read your blogs, then make up my mind to watch them.

Christina said...

Samuel- It was super predictable. Since each girl gets 3/4 episodes we knew he was going to get turned down right away.

I also think that after watching anime for such a long period of time it is hard to find something new and exciting. It all tends to run together after a while. So this show won't be any different that any other harem anime except everyone will get a turn on the main character bandwagon. I guess that will make fans happy as everyone's favorite girl gets a turn.

If nothing else this show might be fun to snark. I am not expecting miracles out of this show. Although the quiet girl seems the most interesting to me, I will cheer for her.