Friday, July 30, 2010

Amagami SS episode 5: New arc, better show!!

This week people. This week. Seriously I should be happy that my yearly anime convention is right around the corner but I’m not. I really, really wish I could start this week over. And when you break it down my week hasn’t been that bad when you think about it. No one died, no one was run over by a car, and a customer hasn’t screamed at me. But still…just nuke this week from orbit.

Photobucket

Look at me I'm wonderful!

So it is with great surprise that I report that…..Amagami SS was great this week. Like is this crazy talk or something? I know I constantly live in the Twilight Zone but this was a shocker for me. I guess the show sensed that I was not pleased with…well any of the first 4 episodes and they decided to make the 5th one great. I guess it couldn’t have come at a better time.

So spoilers and my genuine surprise lie behind the cut. Sadly not much in the way of snark this week.



Photobucket

Um...want some cake?

Episode Summary: Junichi starts the school year over and recalls the time he was stood up on a Christmas Eve two years ago. But instead of wallowing in self pity Kaoru comes up and shakes Junichi out of self pity land. She invites Junichi back to her place to have some Christmas cake with her mom. Junichi does not spend the next two years acting like a closet freak. Cut to the present and Kaoru is munchin on Junichi’s ear. He freaks out and Kaoru breaks out into a comedy routine, the material being Junichi is the husband who hates her now. Masayoshi is amused. The three make plans to go to an aquarium because they are all losers without a significant other. When Junichi takes the side of Tsukasa when she calls out Kaoru for being out of line Kaoru sends Junichi flying. Once on the floor Junichi has a perfect view of Kaoru’s underwear and Kaoru knocks him unconscious.

Photobucket

WHAT COLOR?!

Feeling guilty Kaoru waits until Junichi wakes up in the clinic. They tease each other for a bit and talk about the past. Kaoru leaves with the words “I need to meet you somewhere isolated later”. Junichi being a pervert starts to imagine that Kaoru wants to confess him. This plays out in different ways, with Kaoru prancing around nearly naked, Kaoru playing the semi naked wife, ect ect. Junichi has a hard time paying attention in class due to his imagination. He runs into Rihoko later but their conversation is boring. It turns out that Kaoru wasn’t going to confess. No she wanted to ask Junichi’s opinion on a matter because he has a penis. The matter is really dumb though (Kaoru’s friend wants to know what to do when a boy treats her like crap) and Junichi gives her bad advice. But the girl is happy and skips on her way. Kaoru is impressed though which is scary.

Photobucket

Get him!

They walk home together and Kaoru talks about her after school job and their dumb menu items. Junichi jokes that he thought Kaoru was going to confess to him but really that would be stupid right? Kaoru is shocked….then agrees it is dumb after she beats Junichi up. She runs off to work and is all X_X do I really like him what is going on??!?! But she has no time to recover because Junichi ends up coming to her work. She tries to serve him but he is too busy perving on her outfit. She is unable to concentrate and sends someone else to serve Junichi as she freaks out in the break room? Is this love? THE END!

XO See what I mean?! No knee sex, no crazy girl leading Junichi along, and Junichi came off looking like a normal person. How could this have happened?!

Photobucket

This episode is full of love.

Now when it was revealed last week that Kaoru was going to be the next girl I thought that maybe things might turn around. I mean…things couldn’t possibly get any worse right? So naturally I had to be right but I had no idea what a completely different show it would morph into. I mean, is Kaoru really that magical or is Haruka will that insane?

Photobucket

FEEL THE LOVE!

I think the answer lies in the fact that Kaoru has a much better back story than Haruka. Haruka was set up as some idealist upperclassman. Someone who could do no wrong. Someone that Junichi thought he didn’t know. It turns out that they did know each other but that was not the foundation of their relationship. To Junichi Haruka was some awesome girl who was awesome and mysterious and beautiful and he had to be with her. To me a relationship built on this is phony and one-sided. Very hard to relate to.

Photobucket

Look more love! XD

But a relationship with the girl next door, the best friend, the girl who is one of the guys? That is a story that most people can get behind. It is something that can happen natural over time and something that happens every day. Just picture Haruka as a cheerleader and Kaoru stuck on the bleachers if that works for ya. So yeah, I think it is very logical that I am all WOOHOO Kaoru after this Haruka mess. It is easier to see yourself as either Junichi or Kaoru in this scenario while Haruka is just some idealist dream of nerds across America.

Photobucket

Okay so maybe Kaoru's approach was harsh....but it helped?

The first that made me happy/that I liked is Junichi wasn’t such a whining emo kid hiding in his closet. He was still dumped on Christmas Eve (wonder if we are ever going to see who that person is…) but this time he is not going to cry for long. Kaoru happens to come by and asks him (indirectly) to spend Christmas Eve with her and her mom. So really it wasn’t a date but Kaoru saved Junichi from two years of doom and gloom. Also it makes it a bit more magical, that Junichi will want to spend Christmas Eve with the girl that saved his miserable Christmas Eve two years earlier.
Kaoru starts to show signs of jealously early on in the episode. Junichi defends Tsukasa and her bossy self ( a bit shocked that Wiki just told me her personality is all a lie X_X) and Kaoru sends him flying. But since Kaoru and Junichi have a special relationship he doesn’t catch on to these angry girl moments. See boys, it is always your fault. XD

Photobucket

Woe is Kaoru.

I did like the husband/wife scene. Granted Junichi wasn’t having AS much fun but it gave him, Kaoru, and Masayoshi to bond over. With Haruka Masayoshi was out of his league but in this relationship all three are friends and more on the same level. So I enjoy the closeness factor.

Photobucket

Why are her boobs discolored....

But when Kaoru asked to meet Junichi later I did not like the random naked scenes. Of course they weren’t as bad as the knee sex but still. Maybe that is what a normal boy does, imagines his friends naked and wanting him. WHO NEEDS RELATIONSHIPS RIGHT?! But bleh. That could have gone so much sweeter, him thinking about Kaoru being all nervous for him or maybe her beating him until he loved her too. But meh to the nakedness.

Photobucket

And you are boring.

Keiko is boring. I think I liked Hibiki better. Her problem is boring. I wouldn’t be giving this guy the time of day if I were her. Really, he doesn’t answer her love confession for one month and then demands a kiss? Scratch that, I would give that guy the time of day so I could blast him off to the moon. So Kaoru and Junichi…you suck for giving such bad advice. Ya’ll should have told him to hit the road.

Photobucket

You are lucky you lived.

Junichi was a bit dumb with his HAHA the thought of you confessing to me is so stupid. Kaoru had a nice save beating him with her purse but she was hiding the hurt people. Also I really liked that purse hitting scene. I think I have a violent personality….But yeah, poor Kaoru. I am sorry boys are dumb. They are going to be dumb for the rest of your life so you probably should get used to that. But I feel your pain.

Photobucket

Must look at the flesh!!!

The restaurant scene was a bit much for me. I wanted Kaoru to be a little stronger than that, to brush off these confused feelings and be the tough girl she acts like. But I guess that is a little silly to expect. Girls have many sides of their personality so I guess this is really Kaoru too. However if some dude was pervy on me in my work uniform I probably would be acting weird too. So add in that the perv might be a person she is in love with and I can see her hiding in the break room. Also boys are still dumb.

Photobucket

Be strong girl. And rest that arm. XD

So….yeah things seem to be on the up and up with this series. Or at least I like this new girl. I can see myself hating the Sae arc and being meh about Rihoko if her arc is all about her MOG SHE WEIGHS 10 POUNDS MORE THAN THE OTHER GIRLS. But for now I like the Kaoru arc. Don’t mess it up with knee sex!!!!

No comments: