Sunday, June 13, 2010

To iPhone or not to iPhone

In case it hasn’t been made perfectly clear yet I am not up to date on the newest and shiniest electronic gadgets. I still have my busted down CD player as my source of music. Who needs an IPod with thousands and thousands of songs when I can play the same remixes over and over again?! Also who needs a volume button?! Before I got my shiny laptop in 2009 I was clunked along on a super old computer (my husband built it in 2001). My game system of choice is a DS as the PS3, X-Box, and Wii confuse me with their 3-D games. My phone can call and text people and sometimes takes blurry pictures.

To say the least I am not one of those people who runs out and buys the latest new shiny thing just because they can. I am not camping out at Apple stores to be the first person on the block with a 600 dollar phone or that…iPad thingy. I am actually not sure what the iPad does but yeah. Don’t have one.

Not that anything is wrong with people who do want the latest in shiny technology.
Everyone has something they are super into. Some people like fancy food. Some people like fancy cars. Some people like upgrading their phones every 6 months. And some people like collecting tiny pieces of plastic that look like anime characters.

But now I has a dilemma. Do I get an iPhone or do I stick with my regular phone? One might not see the dilemma but there is one.


This all started when my brother wanted to get on our family plan so he could be eligible for unlimited data. Or something. I don’t know. Something with it being important that he got on our plan before an offer ended and before the new iPhone came out. He agreed to pay the increase on our phone bill and all was well.

Until my husband went to the store with him.

I didn’t even know my husband GOT an iPhone until the next day until my brother ratted on him. After the yelling about how WE as a couple need to discuss household expenses and how I should be informed of leftover money from our monthly expenses my husband offered to buy me an iPhone. Now after I got done yelling at him for not thinking about me when he was getting his iPhone I began to ponder owning a new shiny.

I tried out my husband’s temporary shiny and I pretty much failed at texting. I kept hitting the wrong buttons. It took me longer to send a text message with the iPhone than with my cell phone. Now I am sure with practice I might get better but it just seems odd to have no separation for the keys. It leads to many mistakes and angry faces RARW.

I am not very gentle with my phone NOW. Not that I throw it against walls or run it over with my car. But I am the kind of person to just toss it into my purse and go. And possibly toss other things on top of it in my purse. I have girl pockets so carrying it around all day would be awkward to say the least. So the question of can I train myself to be more careful with a phone comes up.

The iPhone seems to be a little thicker than I am use to for a phone. I haven’t had a house line in years now so I am use to this thin piece of plastic in my hands. Now the iPhone would be fat and short. I would probably look like a dork the first couple times using it. XD

This iPhone is 200 dollars. I find it hard to justify spending that much money on any phone. Money is a little tight since we had to pay a doctor to not tell us what was wrong with me. I could say something like 200 dollars could buy two weeks of groceries but then again 200 dollars can be saved pretty easily if we cut out fast food for a month. Or possibly even three weeks.

An upside to the iPhone would be I could research where house are better. No more looking at dated maps at work or trying get directions out of customers. Just type in the address and off I go. So technically that would be work related right?

An iPhone would be fun when I am stuck somewhere and have time to waste. Like in line or on a long car ride. My phone now has a really crappy screen to view the internet and this phone would be 100 times better. So I could ignore the general public even better with this phone!! Think of the possibilities!

Did I mention that I could get a baby blue casing around the iPhone? XO Yes what a super unimportant factor in my decision making process. But…it would be cute.

So to iPhone or not to iPhone? I would be paying 200 dollars for a phone when mine is still in good working order. I would have to get use to texting on a flat surface and dealing with the overall new shape. But I could use it for work to locate addresses better and I could be on the web when I am out and about (because I am not on the internet enough as it is….). Decisions decisions….See I have no problem dropping cash when it comes to nendoroids and mangas, you know, important stuff. But when it comes to spending a large amount of money on ONE time I get a little hesitate.

I will probably have to play around with my husband’s iPhone to get a better feel for the phone. I don’t want to spend the money because I am feeling left out of this new iPhone buying spree. But I also don’t want to limit myself if it turns out all my issues can be overcome and overall it would be a better phone to have. Until then I will just have to carry on with my plain old phone an busted down CD player. Ah to have first world problems……

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you are planning on spending $200 for it, make sure you get an iPhone-4 (they come out in a couple weeks).

I have a first generation iPhone, so it is 3 years old. It still works pretty well. I have dropped it a zillion times, and as a result it is tough to switch the phone from mute to audible ring (no idea how I could dent it exactly there). Despite the fact that it works as good as new (with just noted exception), I am seriously considering the iPhone-4 as an upgrade, because it has improved so much.

Best of luck with your decision.

Christina said...

abandonedfactory- Yeah my husband and brother are sorta being.....scammers and are planning on getting the new iPhone by turning the ones they just got in (under some 30 day rule jazz thing). Actually my brother plans on staying at my house so he can make it the store at 4am or something X_X.

It is very comforting though to hear that it can withstand a lot of abuse. I still curse the jeans industry for making girl pockets so anti cellphone but it sounds like it will be safe traveling around in my purse.

Anonymous said...

A HTC Is better that fucking iphone

Jamie said...

I have a like pocket case thing for mine when I toss it into my purse :)

Christina said...

Jamie- Of course the important question is "does the pocket case come in Hello kitty?"