Tuesday, June 29, 2010

LOST series finale: So many unanswered questions, so little time to vent

Yes I know the series finale was over a month ago. But I live in the past people. I run things over and over in my head and drive myself crazy. And since I watched 3 seasons in like 5 days I wasn’t up for posting right away. The pain was too great. Also I might be slightly overdramatic.

But here I am a month later still thinking about LOST and even comparing it to the anime show Angel Beats!. Clearly I have issues. I think my expectations for the show were so high nothing would have made me happy. That and I went years without watching half the show so I really built up how awesome it was going to be in my head. So I have something to get off my chest. That and I feel like having a non anime related post.

LOST SPOILERS HERE! Like a ton of spoilers and complaints people. Do not read if you love the show and thought it ended perfectly or if you haven’t seen the entire show. THIS IS YOUR WARNING!

Edited because I forgot the most important point EVER!

Why was Walt so important? They built up his character to be unique/frightening and WHOOSH they shipped him off because the writers realized that a 10 year old might age on a 6 year long show. So….yeah. Walt was never resolved at all, even if the 3 year the future sucks flash forwards. Truly this is one of the biggest disappointments of the show. Not that I miss his father yelling WALT every 5 minutes but still I wanted to know more about this deranged/mystical little kid.

What was up with the polar bears?! I know the DHARMA Initiative brought them to the Island but WHY?! The dolphins make sense to study as they are intelligent creatures but polar bears?! It just seems like season 1 was trying to be random with the polar bears and it was easy to write it off as a DHARMA Initiative crazy thing because they could.

Okay walk with me on this one. Jacob was trying to bring people to the Island so one of them could replace him. There were a ton of names in the cave so it is safe to assume that some of the Others were once eligible so it makes sense that they are on the Island. My question is why wouldn’t Jacob tell Ben to become FRIENDS with Flight 815 so his possible candidates weren’t killed or scared needlessly. Unless it was part of Jacob’s plans to weed out the obviously weak ones who did not take kindly to be shot at. Also this raises the question why didn’t Jacob talk to Ben at all but you know…

Why didn’t everyone wait until everyone from Flight 815 was ready to move on? They waited for Hurley even though he might have ruled the Island for hundreds of years. It makes no sense that they didn’t wait for people like Miles, Anna, and Ben to be ready. They were all waiting to leave together but that seems to only apply to people who were main cast or appeared in the first few seasons. Left a bad taste in my mouth that people like Penny who has never SEEN the Island was in the Church but Daniel wasn’t.

Can someone explain to me why someone like Michael is stuck haunting the Island forever because of his crimes but Ben has been forgiven? How many people did Ben kill? HE KILLED THE MOST IMPORTANT PERSON ON THE ISLAND! He made Michael go insane causing him to kill the two minor characters that were killed off due to their drunken behavior in real life. But Ben gets to wait in the afterlife for the daughter he kidnapped all nice and happy like while Michael is a ghost forever. THIS IS SUPER FAIR!

Why was Aaron so important? I get that no one on the Island could sustain a pregnancy beyond the second trimester (after the bomb went off). But Clair was going to pop at any given time. She had her second and most of her third trimester off the Island. Maybe the fact that she lived was magical but then what? Clair got Aaron back and Aaron was no long special. The end. All that wasted time spent on him for nothing. Like Walt.

The Temple was the biggest waste of time on the show. Almost like the writers were stalling for time. That and they had run out of Others and needed an excuse to round some more up. They random Temple Others were never mentioned until Ben lost most of his troops. Whatever the case was I was not very impressed with the random Asian leader and his random life giving drowning pool. I was almost glad the Smoke Monster took them out because it made no sense at all.

I totally believe that Bernard and Rose were able to hide from the DHARMA Initiative for three years. I believe it forever and forever. Only I don’t. Jin was out there patrolling the Island every single day and he never found them and the dog? I don’t see how that is remotely possible. The DHARMA Initiative knew when people were taking a piss in the woods. They surely would have been able to outsmart a retired couple and a poor dog who had like 1578 owners throughout the show.

How many people were on flight 815? Like seriously I think 48976 people died on this show. I know some of them were the Others and what not but in the last few seasons the survivors got dwindled down to…nobody really. But when someone dangerous was going around there was always a non important survivor to die in place of a main cast member. So I am going to go with…there were 386 people that survived the crash. That is a huge plane. XO

What the hell did Charles Widmore want? Really people I want to know. He wanted to get back to the island OKAY. But why? What were the rules he and Ben spoke of? How was he able to communicate off Island? And why after all that effort was put into him getting back on the Island he goes and gets killed by Ben? It makes everything about Charles useless and stupid and makes my head hurt.

THE NUMBERS!!! How could I forgot the numbers?!?!?! Apparently LOST has fried my brain. Now technically the numbers WERE explained (AKA they meant nothing) but that truly, truly pisses me off. The numbers were everything for this show for like 4 seasons and suddenly Jacob was like oh yeah, I gave you all numbers when you were 6 years old. Which makes no sense when you think about how many candidates there were. Like Kate was a candidate up until she left the island with Aaron. So why wasn't her number part of the digits? OH BECAUSE THE WRITERS FORGOT ABOUT THE NUMBERS! They were like DAMN we got to include the numbers somehow or people are going to kill us. Only I think Hurley should have blown the island up when he got that lame explanation.

Those are just a few things that have been on my mind and make me rage when I think about LOST. Or that things I still don’t understand. There are other things that make me mad (like the constantly killing of main characters) but they were understandable. These issues and storylines were made up to be super important and fans continuously watched the show in hopes that one day their questions would be answered.

However the writers and the powers that be decided that HAHA let’s just have everyone be dead in the finale and not focus on Walt or Aaron or any other issue that was SO important in earlier seasons but later turned out to be nothing. Let this be a lesson to you popular TV shows. Don’t get so caught up in your own popularity that you forget to make your audience feel satisfied. Also don’t keep on adding more layers to your show if you have no idea where you are going and if you can explain anything.

I am still feeling LOST. But I will miss Sawyer, Jin, and Hurley. And maybe Jack.

NOT KATE!

2 comments:

HarliqueenNight said...

I know right! I saw that episode and was like WTF...actually it was more of "What just happened?" and that was it. I cruised the net trying to find a suitable explanation...didn't find one!

Christina said...

Amber- The internet has a very divided opinion on LOST. There are loyal fans who couldn't understand why/when their favorite show went terrible wrong thus have decided the ending was AWESOME and things don't need to be explained. Then there are the annoyed used to be loyal fans who are wondering why they wasted like 6 years of their lives trying to remember all the weird things about the show.

And I can't believe I forgot to mention the numbers. That was like the biggest WTF part of the show!