Friday, June 18, 2010

Angel Beats Episode 12


Photobucket

Actually that is confusion...but close enough XD

Err….yeah people. Exactly. Go episode 12 of Angel Beats!

X_X What did I just watch? What is going on?! How can an episode have so much dialogue and leave me so confused? Clearly Angel Beats! is talented in that department.

So…yeah. Spoilers. If you can understand them.



Photobucket

Stop ruining the dramatic moments with random weirdness! XO

Episode Summary: Otonashi, Naoi, and Hinata are having a strategy meeting in the old headquarters. Outside in the hallway are all the nonimportant SSS members and the DGM group. They tell the boys they are done and are going to move on and other lovely stuff. Then they disappear. Naoi and Hinata fight over who loves Otonashi more when the smoke monsters come to attack them. They run outside and help Tenshi take out the scary baddies. One by one all of the important SSS members arrive on the scene, showing that they decided not to move on and have stayed to fight. Everyone is in character except for Matsushita who lost like a million pounds. Yuri has made it to the deep parts of Old Guild but is having some problems due to the increase of smoke monsters. Chaa (leader of Guild) appears and gives Yuri a better weapon. He moves on (although it is unclear if his men moved on or went above to help with the fight) and Yuri progresses through the tunnels.

Yuri is overtaken by the smoke monsters and it appears she turns into an NPC. She has a hard time adjusting as she keeps remembering the battle and eventually she breaks through the spell. Well that and Tenshi sensed something was wrong and they (Hinata, Otonashi, Tenshi, and Naoi) went down into Guild to save her. There is a slightly cute reunion but they press on. Tenshi blasts most of the smoke monsters away but everyone but Yuri stays behind to handle the leftovers. Yuri finally makes it to the room where all the stolen computers are being held. A young man is there acting weird. Confusing conversation takes place about a man who made the Angel Player program and his reasoning behind this world. The boy implies that Otonashi existence in the world brought an imbalance thus a wipe had to be taken. The boy says that Yuri has the power to become god in this world and she almost takes that gift. But then she goes postal and blows up all the computers and the boy disappears. Yuri starts to feel as if she is going to move on and attempts to fight it. Her dead siblings appear and tell her it’s okay, she’s done enough. After a really fast ending song/scene (with everyone still present) Yuri wakes up in the clinic with Otonashi, Hinata, Tenshi, and Naoi looking at her. THE END!

Photobucket

I think we are getting a happy ending. Or at least we better.


X_X Seriously people.

Photobucket

Biggest Loser wilderness edition!

I will start with the “boring” stuff and work my way to the complicated and WTF. First on this list is Matsushita and his apparent diet success. X_X WTF was all that stuff? I thought he looked fine before. Not everyone is a string bean. Some people are bigger and healthy at the same time. But now Matsushita lost a few pounds and is hot? I guess someone had to replace Takamatsu with the rockin body.

Photobucket

We are here to say goodbye even though you don't know us.

The remaining members of the Girls Dead Monster and the non important members of SSS go poof. How amazingly predictable. Of course the other nonimportant members didn’t get to say anything but…at least they were in the background for a few minutes before they poofed. I do like that the GDM said goodbye and said their peace to Otonashi. I am confused on how all these people just POOFED as I thought you needed to move on from you past regrets. I didn’t think they could just go POOF because smoke monsters were trying to make them NPCs. I can see them not wanting to fight anymore and moving forward eventually but instantly? I am having a hard time following that.

Photobucket

We are men! Behold our power to look special while holding shiny objects!

So as amazingly unpredictable as the nonimportant SSS members all poofing the important SSS members have stuck around. We are going to ignore my last paragraph as I go…WUT?! What exactly is everyone trying to protect? If everyone was about to be killed by smoke monsters I would get out of dodge. I mean, they stay and fight. They win against the smoke monsters. Then what? Tenshi is not their enemy. They know moving on is what they are supposed to do. So are they going to stay in this world after the danger passes? I AM GUESSING NOT JUDGING BY THE NEXT EPISODE! So why bother staying and putting yourself in danger when you could go (when you are going to GO anyway) and be safe? DOES NOT COMPUTE!

Photobucket

I'm sensing we are not getting an explanation about TK and his...TKness.

So putting aside that their reasoning behind staying and fighting when fleeing would make more sense….it was kinda nice. Due to how the episode ended I think that might be the last time we see everyone together. Or maybe not. Maybe everyone will graduate together. But that was the last battle, the last chance for everyone to fight for and with each other. The next episode everyone will disappear and HOPEFULLY be reborn together. So it was nice. And random. Totally knockin’ on heaven’s door.

Photobucket

I am sensing the happy. Really I am.

Yuri nearly gave me a heart attack with her nearly NPC moment. A small part of me was hoping that maybe she would run into Takamatsu and he would be saved BUT I GUESS NOT! I thought her speech was a little dramatic but Yuri is a dramatic person so it fit.

Photobucket

I LOVE HIM MORE!

Hinata and Naoi following Otonashi around is still super cute. It wasn’t AS cute as last week but still AW. Wait for me Otonashi. Let me have your back Otonashi. Let’s fight together one last time Otonashi. I love it even if neither relationship is possible. XD

Photobucket

I was expecting more of a fight I think...

Moving on to the WTF moments. Who was Yuri talking to?! X_X I am so confused. Like seriously wtf is going on confused. I get WHY most of the stuff is going on in regards to the Love system…thingy. I get that someone made these programs to protect himself and the world because it’s the rules. His name is probably Ben or Jacob. But who is this random guy telling Yuri all this crap? Surely he is someone who wanted to move on right? He poofed so I am guessing he moved on. Did Ben/Jacob make him stay there until the world ended or something? Was he really Ben/Jacob?
WHAT IS GOING ON?!?!?!

Photobucket

I swear if Yuri is somehow connected to this love, waiting too long thing I will lose my mind X_X

I am so confused. I would have liked it better had the person who MADE this world was the one explaining things. If Yuri could have asked more specific questions. If it made sense. But I do get that Otonashi is the one who “ruined” the world. That I understood so I get a cookie right? I am not understanding this program stuff and why the person who created the program couldn’t move on if he wanted to BE with this person. X_X Such confusion. But yay for Otonashi bringing love.

When Yuri had that crazy moment I almost had another WTF face. But then she smiled and showed her true character. No matter how angry she is she understands that she can’t be a god and that running this world isn’t her purpose in life. She was able to move on with the help of her dead siblings and she shot down all the love computers. Poor dead NPCS.

Photobucket

I would have a hard time moving on from this too.

I think that there could have been more build up to Yuri coming to terms with her sibling’s death. I think it would have been more moving had everyone but Otonashi disappeared from the world and they left together, to be with everyone else. But Yuri has been in a bad place for a long time so maybe this was a big moment for her. She didn’t need something THAT dramatic to bring her back from the edge. Or maybe Yuri realized that it was episode 12 and episode 13 needs to include scenes of the kids being reborn. Yuri was like CRAP I need to get my sad story done right now or it will never happen.

So…we aren’t going to see how any of the SSS members really died. We aren’t going to see most of their back stories. And at this point I don’t think this world is really going to be explained. X_X But I am still hoping for a cute ending with everyone meeting up on Earth again. Hopefully. At least no more explodey confusing stuff.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Umm, the world was kind of explained in a previous episode, By Kanade, as I recall.... She said this was a world for people who did not experience a pleasant youth before... They come here so that they can experience that before they can rest in peace... But the others all misunderstood this... :)

Christina said...

Anonymous- I think I was a little confusing with what I was confused about. I understand what the world is for the most part. What I wanted explained was WHO made it (this guy who was in love with some girl) and why someone can electronically change their code (like Tenshi did with her "program" or what not). I do think it makes sense that when people like Otonashi slip through the cracks the world has to be reset but I wanted to know more about the person who made this all possible.

Anonymous said...

If you trust the weird person in the room then he was a program made by the original person (Ben/Jacob/...) similar to Tenshi's weapons but more advanced/sophisticated. When Yuri destroyed the computers she also destroyed the one running his program which is what caused him to disappear. He didn't "disappeared" in the same way the other people in the world do.

Ben/Jacob/... didn't create the world but was an inhabitant of the world at some point in the past, the same as the SSS members. I *think* his experiences were similar to Otonashi in that he was unable to move on/disappear even after finding peace. In addition to the reasons you stated part of the reason he created the program was to prevent this happening to others in the future.

This still doesn't explain why both Ben/Jacob/... and Otonashi didn't disappear/move on though.

Christina said...

Anonymous- What you said makes sense. If you think the boy in the room was a program it makes sense that he poofed. That makes my brain hurt a little less if he wasn't some random person.

It also makes sense if Ben/Jacob was just another unfortunate person stuck in this world and not the creator. That way we can just ignore the WHY the world is here and just focus on the people who end up there.

Since Yuri and Jacob took such drastic measures to change things hopefully everyone can move on now.

Anonymous said...

Well, I don't really get it. They could make weapons, but they couldn't make their own meal tickets. Kanade had the software to recode her body, but no one else in the SSS thought they would try it out on themselves. Really? Not even Yuri? Not even Christ? (BTW, where did he go? Was he one of the guys in the background that silently disappeared?) And now it turns out they can reprogram NPCs and other "players" with the software, and even make fake people with it??/

I'm not even going to go into the other stuff, except to say, "how did Yuri's siblings come back from the dead?"

Christina said...

abandonedfactory- The software aspect of the show truly confuses me and has since it was first brought up. For some reason it is okay that the kids can make things out of dirt. But I am not sure why computer programs can change their bodies and what not. It hurts my head less just to pretend this world is a place where anything can happen so does it have to make sense? Of course it would make me happier if we got a better explanation but I guess the kids' journey in this world is more important than explaining this world.

FinnForever said...

All i know,is...Ben/Jacob,wherever he got that name from, created the guy Yuri talked to,and the guy Yuri talked to created the shadows. Ben/Jacob came into that world a looonnnggg time ago And acted like God, and built him so that he could monitor this place.So that people don't get too attached to it,because they're not supposed to. As for Ben/Jacob turning himself into an NPC and all that bahoozey..makes no sense to me.

Christina said...

FinnForever- I just wish we got more information about who Ben/Jacob was. :( I want to know if he finally got to leave the world and if he got to hook up with his girl. So many unanswered questions, this series needed to be longer.

Julianz@Shadyone.gamers.net said...

I agree I was it was longer too :(
I don't understand why people are confused about the program they use, does no one pay attention to the small details in anime? o.0

The program was created by that guy as means to a failsafe, since love would mess up the world, he designed it so it would create shadows to remove their souls and turn everyone into NPCs.

The same program is used by Kanade to design her abilties too.

Christina said...

Julian- I think so much time was focused on making Tenshi the baddie that not enough time was focused on...well the design of the world itself. It seemed like a rush ending and I can see how people could get confused with such short explanation.

Such a dramatic way to get people reincarnated though. X__X Of course they might assume they were going to be erased all together and wanted to fight that. But the world itself was so....well thought out. A great concept for this anime but I wish it could have been a little stronger. Not so flip floppy with who the enemy was and what not.