Wednesday, June 2, 2010

K-On!! Season Two Episode 9


Photobucket

Truly this is a talent.

Today has been a really….off day to say the least. Without getting into personal details I wish I could have gone to work. Funny how I dread Wednesdays and my return to the work week and today all I wanted to do was get out of bed and have a normal day.

But K-On!! is a nice break from lying down and feeling sorry for myself. Yay for K-On!! dragging me out of bed and giving me something to look forward to. Yui and her crazy antics have brightened my day.

This post was brought to you by cats. Cats. The creatures that don’t understand sleeping on someone’s chest is not a great way to make someone feel better.



Photobucket

Is Yui trying to convince herself or the audience?

Episode Summary: Yui wakes up feeling motivated. She decides to take a job around the block and runs into her elderly neighbor. Despite her new try harder attitude Yui is late to school…again. When called out on her special behavior Yui vows to try harder. She proves that by falling asleep in class and spending study hour telling everyone their notes are so cute. There is a little bit of fun after school but Yui marches on to study at home. She runs into her elderly neighbor again who praises Yui for being so dedicated to the guitar. That leads Yui to practicing instead of studying (as she is not used to people praising her). At dinner she expresses to Ui that she wants to do something nice for the neighbor as she is constantly taking care of Yui (and sorta Ui). Yui continues her changing attitude by falling asleep while studying. She tries to redeem herself by studying extra hard at school. The next day Ui runs out of an ingredient while making dinner so Yui runs off to buy it. She runs into the neighbor again (who gives Yui the wrong ingredient because Yui thinks soy sauce=sugar) who informs Yui of a local talent contest that is going on soon. She tells Yui she really wants to see her play in the contest and despite her exams coming up soon Yui promises she will.

Photobucket

Because you are not the same age as her goober Mugi. But you are my goober.

Yui tells the rest of the Light Club members that she plans on giving the neighbor the prize if she wins. She understands the rest of the club will be too busy with exams so she will do this contest solo. Ui voices her concerns to her friends Azusa and Jun. Azusa sees Yui practicing alone near the river bank as she can’t practice at school during exams and she doesn’t want to disturb Ui. After hearing how Yui is so dedicated to the contest and studying she agrees to play with Yui during the contest. She is a bit strict on Yui but it is necessary. Yui decides that they should remix one of their songs into an enka version to cater to the older people. The result is hilarious. Exams come and Nodoka rescues Yui when she falls asleep during the test. Yui continues to fall asleep at the talent show but Azusa wakes her up. They go on stage and introduce themselves with a bit of a comedy routine. They then sing a song enka style which surprises the rest of the club but pleases the neighbor. Yui doesn’t win the contest but the neighbor doesn’t mind. She thinks that Yui is so grown up and mature and all is butterflies. Yui receives her exams back and she did pretty well. While everyone is in awe they express that they were a bit jealous at the Yui/Azusa duet and want to do mixing and matching of different pairings. Except no one wants Ritsu. The end.

Photobucket

Is Yui believable....?

I am going to be honest here. I say that a lot even though I think I am nothing but honest here on my blog. Maybe I should say “I am going to say this out loud despite the backlash from fans I might receive”. In any event I am not a really big Yui fan. *prepares to barricade herself in a fort and mans the cannons*. I know she is truly the main character of the show and much of the fun revolves around her and blah blah. But sometimes she gets on my nerves. If this person existed in the real world she would be scary, not fun to watch. Sometimes she is just way too out there to connect to.

Photobucket

Don't commit to something too quickly!

Perhaps part of my problem is that I am trying to make Yui into a human and I am not enjoying her for what she is: crazy fun. But I do think it is important to connect to characters and I think if Yui was toned back just a little bit she would be more relatable. Like when she was in the department store messing around with the drill, that was funny. But when she is incapable of taking care of her basic needs I go -_-.

Photobucket

Ritsu and Yui should never study alone together.......

But this episode was different. Yui was still Yui but slightly more mature. Which I liked. I don’t think people should/can change overnight. If Yui went to bed Yui and woke up Nodoka I would be very disappointed. You can’t create a character and destroy her overnight with a new personality. So I do appreciate the very subtle changes that went on with Yui throughout this episode.

Photobucket

Yui studying almost almost made me sad. X_X

Yes Yui fell asleep while she studied. That is a Yui thing to do. But she made the effort to study. She didn’t fall asleep while playing her guitar or watching TV. And she made up for falling asleep but studying extra hard the next day. She didn’t make perfect grades on her exams. She got pretty good grades, but not 100’s. Yui didn’t go from not so great student to top of the class overnight and that is very realistic. She was rewarded for her hard work with pretty good grades which is improvement enough for her.

Photobucket

I like participation prizes!

I guess what I liked most was that Yui did not win the talent show. I am sure everyone out there is K-On!! land was cheering for Yui to win but I think it makes more sense if she wasn’t WOOHOO the winner. Yes Yui did practice for this contest but not as much as some of the other participants. She was stretching herself thin with her exams and practice so it is only natural she wasn’t better than people who might have been practicing for weeks. So I am glad the show didn’t go the normal anime route and make Yui the winner because she is the main character and animes are meant to show us if you try hard enough you will win no matter what. Because that is not true.

Photobucket

Sing it Azusa!

The song choice….was interesting. I do think it is possible to remake songs from one genre from another but I am not really sure I am down with the enka style of music. When Yui and Azusa tried to slow down their lyrics in the park (or near the water river thingy) it made me laugh. It just sounded so wrong. So maybe that is why the girls lost, that they picked a song that was unable to be enkaized? I understand catering to the crowd but Azusa was right. You shouldn’t lose yourself to play music, that is where you should be able to set yourself free.

Photobucket

AWWW! Azusa having fun!


Photobucket

You don't always have to do things together....


Photobucket

But the ones left behind always feel left out.

I do like that it was only Azusa and Yui this time around. When there are stories about a big bunch of friends I like seeing when the group breaks down into smaller parts and people get closer without all the crowd. I think it can be hard to get to know people when you are surrounded by tons of other friends. So while we fans like all of our Light Club members hanging out eating cakes and drinking tea sometimes it is fine to spend time with just one friend. Yay for bonding.

Photobucket

FEED ME!

Sawako being upset at the lack of tea parties was funny. Especially when the girls stated the rules were more important than her. XD I think Sawako will be real lonely when her Light Club girls graduate. As much fun as it is to see teachers really getting along and connecting to their students one has to wonder what is going to happen after the girls graduate. Does the teacher pick new students to love and if they do does that mean the first batch is replaceable so fast? I guess I am thinking too much into it but Sawako is pretty funny. I know she is criticized for being an irresponsible adult but I rather like her youthful personality. She’s not a grown-up Yui. She is an adult who can have fun and be silly while having a job. Something we all should strive to be.

Photobucket

Yui passes?! A MIRACLE!

That sums up this week’s episode. Yui grew slightly as a person and Azusa had a mini meltdown. Everyone still hates Mugi but that’s fine. MORE FOR ME TO LOVE. Next week things look interesting as the focus will be on Sawako and her love life. K-On!! really lacks romance so it will be nice to see an actual date. Thanks for cheering me up Yui. Even though you can be awfully special….you do have the ability to make me smile. That is a good quality to have, even if you are a fictional character.

Photobucket

What an interesting song....


Photobucket

Hug the kitty!


No comments: