Sunday, June 27, 2010

Hakuouki Shinsengumi Kitan episode 12 Season Finale

This post is like a week late but hey….I don’t care. XD Hakuouki Shinsengumi Kitan is done and over with….at least until the Fall when we will get season 2. It feels like I have been watching (and snarking) this series forever. At one point I was about ready to give up on this series but I stuck around because I like cute boys and hate stupid weak girls.

Photobucket

What? We get a season two?!

Being that there is going to be a season 2 right around the corner I am not going to go all out to talk about the series as a whole. I can save that for when the series actually ends and since that will be sooner rather than later I am sure all my thoughts will be fresh in my mind. For now this post will mostly be about episode 12 and all it’s glory.

Spoilers, Chizuru bashing, and a complete disregard for the historical aspect of this show await you. Enjoy despite how late this post is.



Photobucket

Thanks for clearing up that confusion.

Episode Summary: So for the first 8 minutes of the show I have no idea what is going on. Seriously there are people fighting and dying all over the place. Like I guess the Shogun’s old men are turn coats now or something? Factions this and clans that. Seriously do not have any idea what is going on. But the Shinsengumi are the good guys and they wear blue coats so that is easy enough to follow right? Various members are heading teams of nonimportant Shinsengumi to battle. But since their enemies have guns this really doesn’t go too well. While everyone is dying Toshizo get cut on his hand and Chizuru is all boo hooing. The main Shinsengumi get together (well the ones who aren’t zombies or injuried anyway) to discuss what to do. Chizuru has the bright idea that she will run to some place and get reinforcements. BY HERSELF. Because besides the gun totting baddies there aren’t people out there who want Chizuru for the sole purpose of breeding oni babies. But somehow this plan sounds good to everyone else if Chizuru goes with someone else. I don’t know his name and I don’t think I should but they all acted like he was important.

Photobucket

Here is a random picture of Saito because my post needs more hotness.

Anyway Chizuru and this plan go underway and they reach the castle like area. Only HAHAHA people are shooting at them. Chizuru and her dumbass self start trying to reason with the people SHOOTING AT THEM and the random dude has to pull her away. She is upset that they didn’t get reinforcements because she is a DUMBASS. So while running back to headquarters (really if reinforcements were in running distance don’t you think they would HEAR the battle) they are attacked. The dude DIES to protect Chizuru and she doesn’t even run away. She pretends like she is going to fight this new group of baddies but Chikage appears out of nowhere and kills them. And instead of running away from the guy who is constantly trying to kidnap her SHE TALKS TO HIM. BECAUSE SHE IS A DUMBASS! Chikage starts talking about how all humans suck and the Shinsengumi are no better. Actually Chikage almost starts making a lot of sense minus the Shinsengumi being evil. So after Chikage explains what the hell is going on Toshizo shows up and thinks that Chikage killed that random dude. For some reason Chizuru is like DON’T KILL Chikage…like dude he has done other bad things before it’s okay to kill him.

Photobucket

This would be the correct way to protect your friend.

The two boys fight for a while as Chikage is all screaming. Chikage has to change into his oni form (which is white WITH HORNS) and starts kicking Toshizo’s ass. Toshizo totally loses his mind and takes the medicine so he can be an oni too. There is some more fighting and they are about to land death blows on the other but Amagiri and Yamazaki save them. Only Yamazaki uses HIS BODY! So Chikage and Amagiri run away because what is the point of winning a battle while everyone boo hoos over Yamazaki. Oh and they bury that random guy and Toshizo blames himself. So they make it to the place where their injuried were resting and it turns out the people ahead of the national army or what not LEFT and that is why there are no reinforcements. Oh and the entire Oni Army except our main characters are dead. Fun times. Toshizo decides that they have to retreat to Edo to get reinforcements. While on the boat Chizuru tends to Yamazaki. He tells her to take care of the others….AND DIED!!!! DIES PEOPLE! Everyone attends his “funeral” where they shove his body into the ocean and it is sad. But we see that Okita is still alive (but now sick AND injuried) so it’s fine. Chizuru gets depressed and wonders if people have died in vain. Toshizo says they haven’t and said the war has just begun. THE END…until Fall!

Photobucket

Cue the this is only the beginning pose!

Oh okay. So instead of ending the series and making people mad we are just not going to have any ending at all. I see your plan. Oh we didn’t wrap anything up because we were planning a part two all along HAHAHA. Good job, good job. Only next time let’s not be so dramatic and show the entire series together.

Photobucket

This is the incorrect way to save someone my little ninja. If you have time to throw yourself in front of a sword you have time to throw a knife from a tree.

I knew that the cast was rather large coming into this show so I figured some people were going to die. Even though they have the power to turn into zombies I figured someone was going to bite the dust eventually. This is a show about fighting and battles and confusion. However I was hoping that the first causality (besides these nonimportant people) would either be Sannan or Kondou. Sannan because I hate him emo self or Kondou because…face it he isn’t hot.

Photobucket

:( My poor little ninja.

But deep down I knew it was going to be Yamazaki. He already was dramatic about giving Chizuru his medical notes and what have you. He already said his goodbyes. So we should have already known he wasn’t going to make it to the end of the series. But I am still sad. Sad that he couldn’t you know…killed or injuried Chikage instead. Or not to throw yourself in front of a blade but simply move your friend away from the blade. Bleh. Bleh I say. I was all NO he got hurt and I was like oh okay he can be a zombie too. Only that never occurred to anyone or Yamazaki didn’t want to go out that way. No no, the medicine can save Sannan but Yamazaki has to die. :( I am a sad little Tenchi.

Photobucket

Sure he looks like crap but he is still alive and that's all that matters!

But Okita is still alive ya’ll! He is all injuried and sick still but he made it to the throw the body out to sea funeral. I am not sure how much of him we are going to see in the next season. He isn’t getting any better but he is still stubborn. He might be the first one to run off to save a friend and die for them. Maybe he will defy the odds and Chizuru’s dad can save him with the new and improved zombie medicine. But I doubt it. :( My poor Okita. Why does Sannan WHO IS KILLING PEOPLE get to be okay and Kondou magically has recovered but he has to suffer still? RARW!!!

Again I have no idea what was going on in terms of baddies and factions. Just one huge mess in my head. Everyone sucks the end!

Photobucket

People are dead but Chizuru has her priorities straight people.

So it’s episode 12 and now Toshizo has decided to be a main character. That or everyone else was either busy being a zombie, injuried, or ACTUALLY FIGHTING. But finally we have an actual scene where Chizuru cares about Toshizo. People are losing their limbs and lives but Toshizo gets a tiny cut and she is all like I MUST TAKE CARE OF YOU. Also when people are dying we must be concerned that Toshizo has to pull the troops back. Something about man pride I think.

Photobucket

Why not just send the dude who was going to protect Chizuru alone?! WTF?!

Chizuru was 15 kinds of dumb in this episode. She is usually dumb but since this was the last episode of the season she went all out. And her dumb is contagious people. There are people out there with guns and you want her to go deliver a message? How about you should already have a plan in place to handle such situations. But I guess if you are depending on her you really are in a desperate situation.

Photobucket

Right Chizuru. How silly of us not to ask the people shooting at us what is going on. His bad.

But then Chizuru gets to this magical place of reinforcements and they get shot at. Now I am not expert on who is who in this series but it safe to say if someone is shooting at me chances are they aren’t on my side. Just saying. So when she was all failing about when she was being dragged away from the danger I was rolling my eyes. I rolled them so hard I almost lost consciousness. Yes you were sent to get reinforcements. However people are SHOOTING AT YOU at the reinforcement pick up spot. Stop acting like you can go back and fix the situation. It is time for running dummy.

Photobucket

You do realize he is the enemy too right?

Then to top off Chizuru journey into fail land she decides that she is best friends with Chikage. When exactly did this happen? I mean I know she is really, really dumb but why was she actually TALKING to him? Why was she telling Toshizo not to fight him? Why was she sitting around having a tea party during war time WITH AN ENEMY?! I have no words. Seriously no words.

Photobucket

I quiver in fear people.

The true face of an Oni is horrifying people. Really white hair and horns? I have no idea how I am going to sleep through the night! XD Sad to say it reminds me of the Walmart episode on South Park. LOOK UPON MY TRUE FORM BITCHES!

Photobucket

More dramatics I say!

Toshizo is now a zombie too. Which is good because the opening song showed him being one and it would be lame if that happened during season 2 instead. But I totally believe that everyone is carrying around that medicine at all times. It is so practical when your job is fighting, to carry around a tiny glass bottle. Toshizo was dramatic and now he is an zombie too. Which is a good thing because I heard the Oni Army got totally destroyed in battle.

Photobucket

Why is Sannan still alive?! -_-

The season ends with our remaining heroes getting on a boat to go to Edo. Not sure why people are still trusting Sannan as he is EATING people but whatever. Did I mention my boy Okita is still alive? That makes me happy. I am not sure how much longer anyone is going to remain alive as they are fighting with swords and their enemies are fighting with guns. But most of the cast is still together and that’s all that matters people.

So basically Chizuru came to find her father and she is no closure to her goal since episode 1. She is good at screaming when people are in danger and being around when drama happens. 4 of the main characters are now zombies, one is dead, and they lost a great deal of their nonimportant people. I can tell that season 2 is going to be uplifting for real! XD But as much as I mock this show the ride has been mostly enjoyable so far. I will blog the next season two provided my favorites are picked off right away.

But I will be praying that Chizuru stops being so damn annoying. -_-

Photobucket

Chizuru: In the running for the most useless female ever in an anime series.


10 comments:

macy said...

I totally understand your annoyance for Chizuru. Ugg...has she no sense of self-preservation? That scene where the people are shooting at them and she is so unwilling to run from the scene is beyond ridiculous. Even I who don't even speak the language am pretty sure I get the message that they don't want to talk about anything.

Not sure why I keep watching this series. LOL. It's all kinds of stupid and melodramatics surrounding a story I don't even understand. BTW, thanks for explaining the boat scene. I didn't realize Yamazaki died on the boat. I thought he died on land, and well, he just really loves the sea so they dragged his dead body on the boat like a mummy. Err...I'm all sorts of confused I tell ya. Anyway, but like you, I guess I stick around to see the boys and to continue mocking the stupid girl.

Christina said...

Macy- At this point I am starting to believe that Chizuru is addicted to getting rescued. That is the only way to explain why she is such a dumbass. "But we need reinforcements..." HELLO! They are shooting at you it is time to run!!! Then she doesn't run as some dude dies for her and she decides to have a heart to heart with Chikage because she is that dumb. Girl makes 14778 mistakes but gets to live because she is a girl. Amazing.

No see Yamazaki lived all the way to the boat so we could have a dramatic moment with all the remaining characters. You know, the ones that have been SHOT and got to live. Yamazaki gets cut in the back and dies like a few hours later but everyone else is getting stabbed and shot through and through and live. IT MAKES SENSE!

I think with Chizuru being exceptionally stupid and the rest of the cast being a bunch of boys who value pride over their lives there is endless possibilities for melodramatic moments. But...most of them are hot so I shall watch. XD

macy said...

Well you know, Yamazaki was acting as their medical officer so when he got injured all they had left to patch him up is Chizuru and well..you know what a smart decision that is right there. Apparently, that equals to death in a few hours. Poor dude.

Anonymous said...

Have you watched the promo for the second season? Hijikata looks pretty hot in that Western uniform, but I've always had a thing for men in uniform anyway ;).

Christina said...

macy- Well that is true. Heaven forbid a huge group have more than one medical officer. He was screwed from the start wasn't he? :( I still rather him be a zombie than dead but I am sure that has to do with man pride or something.

jenanime4eva- I saw that promo. And even though he is not my favorite (in terms of love interest) he looked pretty hot. Of course the very first thing I thought was MOG is Saito getting a sexy uniform too?! XD

Jan Suzukawa said...

Another very funny post! Thanks for bringing some humor to this rather grim episode. I also was beyond words watching Chizuru being even more brainless than usual. One wonders if the females in the Japanese audience even notice this, or if they're too used to helpless female leads to care at this point. (Well, the hot men help a lot XD)

Christina said...

Jan Suzukawa- At this point it is rather insulting to all women the way Chizuru is portrayed. I mean, rescuing a girl has always been one of the main focuses in animes/mangas (or anything) but Chizuru takes it to another level. Yuki from Vampire Knights at least could do something with that gun and Miaka (Fushigi Yuugi) didn't ALWAYS cower in fear. She just is so so stupid I want to know what the writers/makers were thinking. Do they honestly think that men want someone so helpless and that women want to be someone so stupid?

I have a feeling she is going to be in even more danger next season...but the boys get sexy new outfits so that might outweigh my anger. XD

My husband asks "Why do you watch a show that drives you crazy". My answer is...because it is more fun to mock! XD I am sure in the Fall I will have more things to say about this series. Thanks for reading!

Rainkist said...

I recently watched this series and knew there HAD to be awesome bashing on Chizuru out there somewhere.
Thanks for writing these funny reviews, I had a good laugh reading all of them.

I was somewhat familiar with the history of the Shinsengumi before watching, but I can still see why a lot of stuff was frustrating and confusing.
I think the hot guy fanservice thing is the main upholding factor of the anime... which is sad, because I think it could have a lot of potential if they worked more on good presentation of the plot and Chizuru not being the most useless bag of rocks evarrr.

Anyways, hope to see your reviews when Season 2 comes around!

Christina said...

Rainkist- XD I am glad you enjoyed my reviews. They didn't start off as Chizuru bashing but dang did she not make it easy XO Every week she was more and more fail. You would think living with warriors for over a year would make her slightly more useful but she became more and more useless as time went on. She makes Miaka from Fushigi Yuugi look like a badass super hero in comparison.

I think that the show could have been a better learning tool. But it was more so a random set of facts thrown at us in between Chizuru crying and shirtless dudes fighting. Also I think I was just confused from the beginning. XD

And I look forward to blogging the next season! New uniforms for my hotties. Although I am sad that probably most of the guys will end up being Oni. Maybe they will get cured by then so I don't have to be so sad. Oh and maybe Chizuru will blow up. XD

Thanks for reading!

Anonymous said...

Chizuru is far from useless. Smh