Wednesday, June 30, 2010

K-On!! Season Two Episode 13


Photobucket

Azusa has it right. No......

…Well then. :(

Yeah that about sums up how I’m feeling. To cheering myself up I am watching the Best Birthday Ever on the Price is Right. Watch it. It will cheer you up no matter how crummy your day has been.

Now to be fair this episode wasn’t as boring as the It’s Hot episode. There were some cute moments so I can’t be all :( about the episode. Plus it’s not fair to compare this week’s episode to last week’s episode. Or at least I don’t think it’s fair. XO Anyway on with the show.



Photobucket

I'm embarrassed for her....

Episode Summary: Azusa is lying around the house bored out of her mind. Also she is trying to send Yui a text but the task is much too hard for her. Lucky for Azusa Yui sends her a text and shocks her when she reveals she is STUDYING! There is a sequence of Azusa going to give Ui and Yui a watermelon and the apparent drama with mixing foods but since that was only a DREAM it doesn’t count. Ui does go over to visit with Azusa but doesn’t recognize the tan kitten. Being that these girls are apparently bored out of their mind they decide to bring Jun some snacks at school. But it turns out Jun and her club have the day off because it is holiday (a holiday for summer or what not). Jun and Ui decide to eat their snacks in the club room because they are that pathetic. They decide to go see a movie instead of being even more pathetic. There is a sequence of Ui and Azusa going to see a scary movie and Mio shows up to conquer her fears of scary things BUT IT’S ONLY A DREAM. Azusa wakes up and decides to go the safer movie instead. But there is time to kill before the safe movie so the girls walk around town a bit. Azusa decides she needs to get a job as her funds are low. Ui tries to help Azusa find the perfect job when they see a sign about running a lottery booth. There is a really cute scene with Ui and Azusa running such a booth when Mugi comes up and loses a trip to Finland BUT HAHA it is a dream. Azusa wakes up and she has missed her movie.

Photobucket

Did I say fun times? I mean jealous times.

But fun times are on the way as Ui, Jun, and Azusa go to the swimming pool. Jun starts to show some signs of jealously when the topic of fun Light Music antics comes out. Also Azusa is sun burnt in funny places so we must mock her. She chooses to go tan herself even ignoring the logic she would just get burnt and more burnt. She has another DREAM involving Ritsu and eating food on a slide. After she wakes up Jun and Ui join her with summer treats. Jun is really jealous of the Light Music club the more Azusa talks. Coming back from the pool the girls run into the senior Light Club members…hopefully anyway. Maybe it is all a dream. But it is decided that they are going to go to a festival. Mugi finally gets her summer treat, Yui feeds Azusa like a two year old, and Mio is scared of Turtle-chan eating goldfish. While running to catch the fireworks Azusa gets caught up in how awesome it is to be friends with everyone and how she doesn’t want to be left behind and what not. Walking back from the festival Jun says that she will join the Light Music club if no one else does which comes out weird. Azusa takes a bath and Yui gets food poisoning from mixing foods or some jazz. THE END OF SUMMER!

X_X See what I mean people? Discussion time.

This show is about fun right? We don’t really see a lot of actual learning going on and it is light hearted and fluffy right? So why is it when it’s summer time in the series…..our characters are having LESS fun that usual? Really I want to know this people. Summer time is when high school kids are actually allowed to be lazy. It’s a time when people go on trips and the malls are packed with teenagers screaming about Jacob and Edward Oh God make it stop!!!

Photobucket

Summer vacation: Doing it seriously wrong!!!

Err putting that aside Japanese high school students why so serious!? Don’t you study like 579 months for your college entrance exams anyway? Why not enjoy your last fun summer as a kid while you can and study when you get back to school? Of course with fail students like Yui maybe she does need to do a little extra studying but why all my girls? WHY?! :( It has already been stated that it is hard for Azusa and her band of secondary characters to carry the story. Add in the fact that it is summer time and this episode has so much wasted potential.

Photobucket

A girl obviously not having fun....

Okay so the older girls are studying. Surely Azusa is living up summer right because she is only a junior (2nd yearer) right? Only she’s not. Her idea of living in up large is staying up late to watch TV. Um I do that every day my short guitar playing friend. Moping around the house is not a productive way to spend your summer. Lounging around the house yes being bored no!

Photobucket

Why does Azusa's skirt so long....

Another thing one should not do when on summer vacation is go to school. This is like the last thing one should do on break. This is especially sad since Azusa and Ui had to put on their school uniforms to do so. I guess in Japan they might view their uniforms a little differently that someone who has never had to wear a uniform but it makes me sad. They finally get a break of these clothes and they willingly put them back on? I would be like YO JUN after practice come to my place for some weird looking dessert. No. Not going to school unless I have to people.

Photobucket

I love all of Mugi's dreams. All of them.

I am not really impressed with all the dream sequences. The first one was funny. The second one was meh. Towards the end of the episode I too was like Azusa and wondering if this was all a dream. I guess Azusa was truly being that boring and she had to imagine some fun and amazing times. I just wish Azusa got to have real fun and amazing times. But if there had only been ONE dream scene I would have loved the lottery one. XD The water park one was too over the top and Mio’s was a dead giveaway. Also the lottery one had Mugi so you know…

Watching K-On!! makes me wish that I could get that excited about food though. I am such a picky eater I tend to eat the same things all the time. It must be nice to go WOOHOO it is this time of year I can’t wait to eat this. The closest thing I got to that is turkey at Christmas/Thanksgiving time. Japan: The land of eating!

Photobucket

Text messages shouldn't take 5 minutes to send.

Part of me feels bad for Azusa. Or maybe the whole system of junior/senior. Just send a text message, it shouldn’t be that hard. I feel bad that Azusa felt so pressures. Most of the text messages I receive don’t even have punctuation and she is worried about being too formal. That also makes me wonder about friendships between younger and older classmates. When I was in school I was simply friends with people, none of this I am above/below you stuff. Well perhaps there was a little of that…but not to that extent. In any event SEND A TEST MESSAGE!

Photobucket

Don't leave me behind!!!

Of course Azusa being so bored and having a mediocre summer is exaggerated to make us think OH NO Azusa is going to be alone soon and it will be sad and pathetic and poor Azusa!!!! On one hand I am happy that Azusa feels that close to the older girls and that things aren’t as fun without her friends. But on the other hand she shouldn’t put all her fun eggs in one basket. If there this hierarchy among friends she needs to start making more friendships with people who are going to be around next year. Or at least plotting ways to get new club members so she can be top dog.

Photobucket

Even Azusa doesn't believe her....

Is Jun seriously going to join the Light Music Club NOW?! After 12 episodes of MOG no new members, Azusa is going to be all alone, Jun saying no to joining the club a year ago she is going to join NOW?! Unacceptable. She is not allowed to join. Also wouldn’t that make her look bad, quitting her other club? In any event…NO! Jun should join because she either wanted to help Azusa out or because she liked Light Music. Not because of tea parties and trips to crazy land and pet turtles. No. That is not what the Music Club is all about!

Photobucket

Finally together. XD

It was nice that at the end of the day everyone got to go to the festival together. No studying, no school uniforms, and no boredom. Just simple fun with friends. Azusa was feeling a little sad about being left behind but she was able to enjoy the moment and her friends. She spends a lot of time yelling at Yui for not being serious but deep down she really likes the person Yui is. She may want to practice and be all proper and such but she is just one of the silly girls. So if anything this episode was semi successful in making Azusa loosen up. Thank goodness.

Photobucket

It could be worse my little kitten...

DEAR LORD PEOPLE! I might have to take back anything bad I said about this episode when looking at the preview for next week. XO See it is always easier to judge something when you have something to compare it to it. Prove me wrong episode 14 for you look….X_X. X_X is a word now.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, I too was left remarkably unimpressed by this episode of K-ON. I was getting sick of the repetitive dreams and lack of progression in the story.

I've always liked Azu-nyan, but I'm starting to get annoyed by her. I mean, just like you said, it annoys me that she doesn't really acknowledge Ui and Jun as her proper friends. They seem to be fall-back friends; whilst Ui would be okay with it as that's who she is, Jun has shown signs of frustration at Azu-nyan. I would too to be honest.

Next week's episode better show some progression and originality i.e. not using the same "joke" 3-4 times. Even the week before episode annoyed me a little bit too. These last 2-3 episodes have grated me a bit...I still like it though.

Here's to next week's episode.

Christina said...

Samuel- I hope that Ui and Jun have REAL friends and treat Azusa as a second option too. That may be mean but so is calling up people when your "main" friends are busy. Plus it would make more sense to be friends with people in your own grade seeing the huge division between older and younger classmen.

Half the episode felt like a dream! I just wanted to see Azusa having fun, not dreaming about having fun.

Hopefully K-On!! doesn't suffer because they decided to make this season 26 episodes long.

blindability said...

I'm sure Ui and Jun have other friends, but I would like to see their friendship progress a little further. I think, in this episode, Azu-nyan realizes that while the seniors are a close group of friends she can rely on (sort of), they are all graduating, and therefore, if she doesn't want to be alone the following year, she's going to have to look to people within her grade (or younger) to buddy up with. It's hard though since Azu-nyan does share a passion for music with the others, and when you're in an extra curricular group with different people, sometimes your bonds are much deeper than with just classmates. Seeing Azu-nyan spend time outside of school with the other two is a good sign; the girl will be fine, I'm sure.

What I want from the next episode is MUGI SINGING!! Or at this point, any music - any REAL music - will do. It's not good when K-On!!'s most serious and dedicated fans are getting frustrated.

Christina said...

blindability- I think her heart is in the right place but sometimes Asuza does treat Jun and Ui like second class friends. But maybe Ui actually does have a life outside taking care of her sister. But you do have a point that she wants to bond with people who share a common interest. I guess it is different in Japan, how high school students form relationships.

Yes there needs to be some singing and soon. They were talking about the festival right? Hopefully something happens soon.

Unknown said...

Christina - I agree with you there. But, whilst Jun has the Jazz group to have friends with, Ui - from what I know of - hasn't joined any particular group. Makes me sad for Ui, to be honest. :(

But, despite how much I don't want it to happen, I can see K-ON getting worse and worse due to the 26 episode series length. Many other anime have decided to "milk" their earlier success, with the result being the anime is ruined/people's opinions of it are lessened. Examples being Death Note, with the whole Near/Mello situation and Shuffle!, when they decided to make a series called Shuffle! Memories.

One thing that I could see the producers doing is making Ui join the Light Music Club too. We have all seen that she can play even better than Yui, and in much shorter time as well. Would this be good for Ui? Yes, we actually get to see how she is in a more "serious" environment and she how she copes without her sister there. Will it be good for the series? No, this series NEEDS to end with the 4 main characters go. End of.

Keep up with the cracking blog. :3

Christina said...

Samuel- That is so true about Ui. Jun has a club of friends to belong to while Ui has...her sister to take care of X_X So her joining the Light Club might be negative because then she would worry even more about her sister. Well her joining next year would be fine but not now anyway.

And I think some series (like Angel Beats!) need the extra episodes. With K-On!! it just seems like milking the cash cow. We all seem to be buying the milk though.