Sunday, June 20, 2010

Uragiri wa Boku no Namae wo Shitteiru Manga verses Anime

So a few posts ago I talked about having a bunch of unread manga on my bookshelves that I needed to pay attention to. Or at least I think I talked about it. Maybe I only thought about it…..In any event yeah. There are some mangas that I bought at AWA 2009 that need to be read before I got to AWA this year. That way I will feel guilt free when I buy another car load of mangas and don’t read them for another year. All makes sense to me.

The best way to accomplish my goal is to complete ignore it and read a new series online. And not any series but Uragiri wa Boku no Namae wo Shitteiru. The manga I wasn’t going to read because I didn’t want to ruin the anime. My resolve is rock solid people. ROCK SOLID.

XO So after I decided to spoil the anime for myself I was surprised to learn SURPRISE the anime is slightly ahead of the manga. X_X Exactly. So on one hand I got to read the manga and not spoil any future events for myself. But on the other hand…:( clearly the anime and manga are going to end differently if the anime is already out of plot.

Photobucket

Spoiler alert! Hotsuma is hotter in the manga!

What is this post going to be about? The very slight differences between the manga and anime. They are subtle and few but they are there. For the most part the anime is very faithful to the manga but a few key issues have either been left out or have yet to be discussed in the anime. I shall talk about them and post screenies because I can people. I can. The more time I waste blogging the less time I have to catch up on mangas I paid for. It all makes sense.

Here is a basic rundown of characters in case we have some newbies on board. XO I don’t want to confuse the newbies but convert them into believers!

Yuki- former orphan boy who now lives with his mysterious half brother and a house full of crazy person. Is/has the Light of God power which powers up the good guys. He can also see people’s past if he touches them, form energy shields, and possibly exercise demons from people. Has a tendency to act emo and thinks his existence is a nuisance on others. In his former life he was a girl and Luka was SUPER CLOSE to said girl. Yuki obviously has mixed feelings about this but is too nice to bring it up.

Luka-Hottest former baddie in town. The other characters have been reincarnated for centuries to fight the Duras and during the last war Luka changed sides for girl Yuki. Luka has been watching over boy Yuki since the day he was born but everyone pretends this isn’t creepy. Luka is hot and likes to wear clothes to show off his hot body. He sometimes has problems with human situations but that is just the writer’s way of trying to give Luka a funny side. Luka doesn’t get along with most of the other good guys but he likes to be around Yuki and say the phrase “I will never betray you” every other page.

Tsukumo- A Zweilt Guardian. Also a distant relative to Yuki. Has the ability to look sexy using a magic gun and can force demons out of their human hosts. Tends to get injuried a lot and likes to eat snake foods. May have a sister complex.

Toko- A Zweilt Guardian and her pair is her brother Tsukumo. She fights with a huge sword and is more an offensive player. She is very fond of Yuki but she usually talks in terms of the past (referring to girl Yuki). In the anime she often gets pissed off at Luka. This is not the case in the manga. Toko has strong opinions on most issues and seems to feel guilty about needing Yuki but dragging him into this fight.

Hotsuma- A Zweilt guardian. His partner is Shuusei and when I say partner I mean they are two meaningful glances from a cut scene with hands grabbing bed sheets and someone moaning Oh God. Hotsuma’s main ability is to control fire but the anime isn’t very specific about how this power works. Hotsuma had a rough childhood what with accidentally burning some bully and people treating him like a freak. Also his parents sold him to the Giou clan to be a Zweilt. For some reason hates Yuki but has recently warmed up to him but Shuusei is still his favorite person ever.

Shuusei- A Zweilt Guardian. He has the power to exercise demons out of people. He also is used to help solve cases otherwise impossible for the police to solve (usually he and Tsukumo work together on such cases as their powers play off each other). Shuusei doesn’t hate Yuki but avoids him because of Hotsuma. Shuusei thinks only of Hotsuma and tends to get lost in his thoughts. But on some level Shuusei hates himself for wanting to be the only one Hotsuma needs.

Kanata- Childhood friend of Yuki. They grew up in the same orphanage. When Yuki’s long lost clan of relatives came to town Kanata magically vanished and the baddie appeared and he looks JUST like Kanata. Has been seen with a strange book and has mentioned he hates humans.

Takashiro- Yuki’s half brother. Acts super suspicious all the time. Has all of his past memories from previous wars and can constantly be heard saying he is sorry for lying to Yuki. Works with the police to solve unsolvable crimes.

Tachibana- Caretaker of the mansion everyone lives in. Likes wearing weird hats.

Isuzu- The family doctor. Wants to see Luka naked.

Other nonimportant people include Aya the random girl who does…random things at the mansion and Toma the crazy chef who gets upset when people don’t want to eat his food.

Okay now that my probably nonhelpful characters facts are done I will state again that the manga and anime are very similar. So if you are putting off either version it is safe to say that up to chapter 12 and episode 10 there are little spoilers between the two. I am sure from here on out things will change as obviously the anime has run out of manga plot to work with but as of this moment one can view both versions.

Photobucket

It is time to strip!

The random girl who is stalking Hotsuma isn’t so random in the manga. I guess I am a bit mean for calling her a stalker but I can be a mean person so whatever. In the anime Hotsuma gives her a (Shuusei’s) handkerchief and suddenly stalker girl is IN LOVE. So maybe I am not off when I call her a stalker. But in the manga there is build up and a reason why she (I think she has a name…) likes Hotsuma. Granted Hotsuma gives her really mixed signals but now I see that her plot isn’t put together in 2 seconds. XO But now I can be mad that her storyline is taking away from the Hotsuma and Shuusei love fest.

Photobucket

Wait...these people basically kidnap you and I'M the bad guy!?

Kanata doesn’t seem as evil in the manga. In the anime it is highly suspect that Kanata wasn’t home the day Yuki left and why hasn’t he called and blah blah. In the manga Kanata has been trying to contact Yuki. Due to Takashiro trying to cover his tracks Yuki was not at the place Kanata was told and that raised red flags. So Kanata acting concerned actually came across as concern in the manga whereas he seemed like a crazy person in the anime. It also leads me to believe that while Kanata IS the bad guy there are two personalities going on. The “bad guy” from the past and Kanata who hasn’t been reincarnated fully. That makes me happy because I’m a sucker for a love triangle when the best friend forever loses to the cool new guy.

Photobucket

I am sensing that was the wrong thing to say...

Yuki giving Hotsuma the necklace went differently in the manga. Well mainly because Yuki did not give Hotsuma the necklace in the anime. Hotsuma was not present at the time and Shuusei promised to give Hotsuma the magical charm. The manga was more dramatic as Hotsuma turned down the gift directly in Yuki’s face and Luka got to go big bad boyfriend over the situation. While it makes me sad that Yuki got hurt I do appreciate his more direct approach.

Photobucket

It's morphin' time!!!

XO Yuki does useful stuff that doesn’t cause him pain! In the anime Yuki’s powers usually hurt him or come at a big price so he is mainly seen on the sidelines looking useless. But Yuki can set up an X/1999 shield with the best of them. Go Yuki!

Photobucket

The truth is partially revealed!

Lukas and his sad back story are explained a little better in the manga. In the anime Luka saves Yuki from the baddies but it worried that Yuki will view him as a baddie too. Luka gives a few seconds to explain that he enjoyed killing before but then he met Yuki and he was a changed person. In the manga Luka explains why his family has been branded Sinners (aka Luka’s long dead relatives gave Reiga that magic book of doom) and why names hold great importance. Luka also touches on his previous master and how life wasn’t so great as a slave. In the anime Luka tries to act like a badass while in the manga he is a bit more honest.

Photobucket

ANIMATE THIS SCENE NOW!!!!

XO And when I mean honest I mean Luka crumbles to the ground reliving the memories. Now to be fair this stuff still may happen in the anime but I think the manga is doing a better job of making Luka a more well rounded person. Not that I want Luka to be a crying weak person in the corner but I do think it was positive to show how a strong, stoic guy can feel vulnerable and overwhelmed. And another positive LOOK AT YUKI! He isn’t always the one who needs to be protected and comforted. Sometimes he can be that shoulder to cry on. So…I think the anime did a disservice by deleting/putting off that scene.

Photobucket

I can't explain more because that wouldn't be fun!!!

The overall baddie is explained slightly in the manga. I was curious about Takashiro’s scar and the explanation that Yuki can’t heal Zweilt inflicted wounds. Takashiro gave Yuki a bit of a history lesson with MOG Reiga was one of us but he betrayed us for no reason and my heart is BROKEN! Takashiro gave me enough hope to believe that Kanata can be saved because I like happy endings! Sure Takashiro was only giving Yuki the briefest of details. Like he wanted to stop Yuki from digging into the past so he acts like he is being forthcoming when really he is just hiding the really awful stuff. Smart man.

Photobucket

Such love...

Sodom is introduced sooner in the manga. He is awesome in either version and the fact he hates Hotsuma makes me laugh. Of course the fact that Takashiro has all his memories is probably more important…but I like Sodom more. XO

Photobucket

I love Tsukumo so much! XD

Not that this is a good or bad thing but some of the random funny scenes are different. Toma is a little more dramatic when people don’t want to eat his food but Tachibana seems to be mellower in the manga. Yuki finding out he was a girl happened slightly different but both were brief. And then there is this lovely scene. Is it just me or is Tsukumo asking Hotsuma to marry his “spoiled” sister? Don’t mess with my yaoi pairings!!!!

Photobucket

It is important this scene take place while the boys are naked. It adds to the story I swear.

I think the biggest thing the anime fails to do is explain Hotsuma’s powers properly. I thought he just had control over fire and that was that. But the manga truly explains why Hotsuma is a tragic character. It is his emotions that control his power, his voice. Hotsuma has all this hurt inside and if he tries to let it out he will hurt someone and be labeled a monster again. It’s one thing to summon your power and it’s another for your power to summon itself based on emotions. I mean….I have angry thoughts all the time but I don’t want to set people on fire because of a momentary flare up of anger. Dangerous power is dangerous and slightly unfair.

Photobucket

NOT ACCEPTABLE!!!!!

Just…wtf is this?! Really WHAT IS THIS! DO NOT WANT!

I think I have covered the major differences between the manga and the anime. Anything else is either really minor or I forgot because it is late XD But either way I love this series. I do worry that the anime will go too much into filler land but I am happy we might get a second season. But the anime needs to step up with the sparkly yaoi scenes and the manga needs to kick stalker girl to the curb!

Photobucket

Just sharing some Shuusei/Hotsuma love. XD

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the manga a lot better than the anime. I mean, it's nice to see the characters come alive, with voices and color (and I just loooove animeShuusei), but it's missing a lot of the humor, cuteness and sweet boy-love moments of the manga.

There's a scene in chapter 37 or 38 that's just a giant SWOON fest between Yuki and Luki, which I strongly suspect they will not animate. And there's another Zweilt guardian pair that makes up for any unintended heterosexuality in the series by adding a bunch more yaoi subtext. I don't think they will be in the anime :(

The manga hints that Toko has a little crush on Luka, and that Luka may find her cute, but not being a single demon, he is still hopelessly devoted to Yuki XD

Anonymous said...

oh ps- the anime is only ahead of the English translations. The anime is around volume 3 whereas the manga is almost to volume 7 in Japan.

Christina said...

Anonymous- I saw that there were 7 volumes out but the highest chapter I could find was 12 :(. Is that the highest we have in scanlation land or am I just not looking hard enough?

At times I do think the way Yuki talks in the anime takes away from the scene but I do like how we got a longer Hotsuma and Shuusei shoeless scene and how Luka had that moment of weakness in front of Yuki.

XD That makes me laugh that there is literally no one in this manga who thinks Toko is hot. Or at least suitable relationship material. I wish to see this third pairing and what they bring to the yaoi table!

Anonymous said...

Ok this got long. I thought of too many things I wanted to mention XD

The scanlations are at chapter 12 but raws were posted online a while ago up to 25-ish (the rest were in Chinese which I cannot read). Then magic happened and I found it at Kinokuniya, so now I am all caught up. Happily I can say that it just gets better and better-- there's so much to look forward to!

The new Zweilt pair is half-shota and half-wears-glasses, which are two of my most un-favorite things, but they are intensely into each other and that makes up for it. Also around these chapters we get Sodom's even cuter upgraded form, and to see the smoldering sexiness that is past-era-ninja-Luka. (I don't normally like guys with long hair, but I guess ninja hair is different XD)

The hints of Luka finding Toko cute are so subtle that if you blink, you'll miss them. (Also, staunchly Yuki+Luka fans will refuse to see it; it's the reverse of animes where yaoi fans see romantic potential but others see only friendship.) I think Toko reincarnated to look somewhat like girl-Yuki, who she loved and admired, and I'd wager that Luka has a soft spot for pretty girls with long flowy hair. That said, he is on team Yuki 4eva. Though, he pretty much has to be. (More on this at the end, if you want an important though not devastating to your enjoyment of the series spoiler.)

I think Tsukumo finds Toko cute as well, which is sadly messed up since he's her little bro :( There's a scene in the manga where Hotsuma and Yuki barge in on Toko and Tsukumo asleep, spooning, in skimpy undergarments, and have a mutual heart attack. The two act all "it's just silly and nonsexual guys, don't worry."

I would have found Tsukumo/Toko adorable if I wasn't so squicked by incest. This is why I read most of Angel Sanctuary with a -_-; expression. By the way if you are a Kaori Yuki fan, "Godchild" is masterfully well drawn and awesomely plotted with some master/butler man love thrown in for good measure. Highly recommended, though you have probably read it by now.

Back to grips about anime Uraboku. It just leaves out all kinds of happiness that should have stayed in. For example the Hotsuma's-got-a-thing-for-Yuki subplot was totally dropped!

Look at what should have been in episode 9/10:

Hotsuma kissing Yuki's hand for healing him:
http://i587.photobucket.com/albums/ss311/nocturneu/uragiri006.jpg

Jealous BF Luka:
http://s587.photobucket.com/albums/ss311/nocturneu/?action=view&current=uragiri007.jpg

I don't have a link to the lovely scenes that happen later on between Luka and Yuki, but in case the anime is a little bitch again and leaves them out, I have scans which I will upload to mediafire XD


Now for the spoiler I mentioned earlier. BTW this won't ruin your enjoyment of the series but is worth putting behind a spoiler cut.

*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*

Luka has to be team Yuki all the way, because he broke his contract with his prior master. A demon who breaks a contract before he fulfills his master's wishes will cease to exist. By contracting himself to Yuki, Luka not only got a loving and cute master who didn't make him slaughter by the thousands, he got a second chance at life. That plus the whole "do you really love boy Yuki, cuz it seems like you love the memory of girl Yuki more" adds tension to their relationship.

Anonymous said...

oops, bad me. This is the correct link to Hotsuma kissing Yuki's injured hand: http://i587.photobucket.com/albums/ss311/nocturneu/uragiri006.jpg

Anonymous said...

grrr google blogs, you are purposefully thwarting me... attempt the third!

http://i587.photobucket.com/albums/ss311/nocturneu/uragiri006.jpg

display damn you!

Anonymous said...

I won't give up!

http://i587.photobucket.com/albums/ss311/nocturneu/

uragiri006.jpg <-- that part goes after the " nocturneu/ "

Christina said...

Anonymous- XO I feel silly now, writing about the anime running out of plot. XD Because clearly that is not the case as there are 4 volumes out of my reach. Sadness.

I almost think I like that whole Hotsuma kissing Yuki's hand was left out XD I rather Hotsuma be team Shuusei all the way and he can't be hitting on Yuki (that and Luka will probably kill him or something). But that was a sweet scene.....even if I am still pulling for the main pairings.

I look forward to seeing the other Guardians (even though they can't be as cute as the ones we have now) and the Ninja Luka. I wonder if that means he will be wearing more clothes... XD

Anonymous said...

I love this manga. I agree with you. I prefer the manga, cause the anime is not the same and luka is too cold, and he doen´t have his jealous boyfriend attack XD.
Nee can i ask you something?
Do you know were i can read uraboku's manga since chapter 22 in english? I only see these chapters in chinese.

Christina said...

lenale0610- The places I have looked for this manga are missing a few chapters (mostly the Shuusei gets kidnapped chapters) so I am pretty behind in the manga.

This site: http://manga.animea.net/uragiri-wa-boku-no-namae-wo-shitteiru.html

is slowly getting caught up with the inbetween chapters.

And this site: http://www.mangafox.com/manga/uragiri_wa_boku_no_namae_wo_shitteiru/

seems to be the most up to date that I can find. :( I hate being patient.

I think in the manga Luka is more vulnerable and easier to relate to. He isn't some all powerful being with no emotions which makes Yuki feel weird to be around. That and Shuusei and Hotsuma seem to be hotter in the manga.

Here's to hoping the manga catches all the way up so I can be more up to date!

Kencana said...

Do you know that...

{Spoiler)

-

According the character book, in a past life Shuusei was a woman and Hotsuma and him were married and had kids.

Christina said...

Kencana- XO WHAT THE HECK?! Stop messing with my yapi pairing by making them straight pairings first! XO

I mean...how romantic....XD

If that is the case though why is everyone all like MOG Yuki is a boy now like it is a big deal?

Anonymous said...

amm..I found chapters to 21..does anyone know where could be the rest?is it translated or not?co it's a little disappointing that there's anime up to volume 7 and we have translated chapters up to volume 4 or 5 :(

otherwise..I love manga too..a bit more than anime but oh well it's almost always like this ><..

..I kinda wanna see some more action :P.."the bad guys coming after yuki" since the 21 chapter leaves me in high expectations..I wonder about reiga's feelings towards yuki..he really looks kinda hesitant :/..and I wanna know more things from the paaaast! yukixluka memories and soo..and I am a fan of the main pairings such as yukixluka, matsumotoxshusei and even tokoxtsukumo (since in asia that is kinda like a normal thing to marry a cousin..so I guess I'm kinda accepting it..but if it would happen somewhere around me in real life I wonder what my reaction would be haha)

Anonymous said...

i love the manga better. it has more humor than the anime.

my possible pairings

luka x yuki
hotsuma x yuki
hotsuma x toko
hotsuma x shuusei
shuusei x tsukumo
reiga x yuki (sad pairing)

Christina said...

Anonymous- Yes the anime was pretty much a downer most of the time. I think Yuki smiled three times when he should be trying to have fun with his new friends/boyfriends.

But how DARE you suggest Hotsuma be with anyone other than Shuusei. HOW DARE YOU! XD

Anonymous said...

Ok, important things:

* Shuusei being a woman?! I'm going to pretend I never heard that. From now on, that's officially NOT TRUE in my world. (Stop trying to ruin my male/male pairings, guys!)

* Hotsuma kissing Yuki's hand? An act of, uh, respect and loyalty (that he didn't have at first). I'm going to... forget this.

Even more important: the line "What am I to you?" is a sure way to spot a pairing going canon very soon. Maybe Uraboku won't take it there, it's no BL manga after all, but it's a fact I have never seen these words uttered in manga, without the character(s) having romantic feelings for eachother.

PS: I will never accept anything but Hotsuma and Shuusei together. PERIOD. End of discussion.

Anonymous said...

Forgot: even the anime producers caught on to their relationship, on some level. A lot of scenes were suspiciously slashy, don't you think? Can't remember if the scene with them sitting in the window, was like that in the manga, but seriously... The way they zoomed in their feet touching? And their bodies leaning towards each other? (Of course it can mean other things too, but leaning towards someone is often a sign of liking and/or being attracted to a person.)

I've never seen anything like that with straight, male characters.

Christina said...

Anonymous-Hotsuma and Shuusei are so cannon it's not even funny. Even if I see the world in yaoi covered glasses it is CLEAR they are together. And the thought of Shuusei being a woman in their past life to somehow "explain" the situation is just....no. XO Ruining the yaoi pairing in not acceptable. Although I do accept Yuki being in a girl in the past as Luka seems more bi to me anyway.

The anime scenes were very intimate, especially the star watching scene and the one involving the ice cream. I don't know how much more romantic it could have gotten. Well I guess kisses and what not but since that is just A DREAM what we got was pretty romantic.

The idea of the boys being just best friends and straight...ha. Let us laugh together.

Anonymous said...

i can't seem to find chapters above 21 for the manga...

Christina said...

Anonymous- 21 is the highest chapter I was able to find too. I think with the manga being released (slowly) in English scanners have stopped or at least slowed down with this manga. :( Sadness.

Anonymous said...

which chapter was it when Luka told Yuki about his past? ^_^ so wanna read that :D

Christina said...

Anonymous (april 10th)- That would be chapter 10. I wish Luka had been that vulnerable with Yuki in the anime.

Unknown said...

Can someone please tell me what volume of uraboku. . Did toko talked about her past lover? ? I mean the guy who resemble Luka. . I read somewhere that there's a possibility that her ex is Luze, Luka's twin brother. .