Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Hello Kitty Build A Bear day

I am 26 years old and I picked now to build my first Build-a-Bear. I am slightly behind on the times.

But since it is HELLO KITTY I forgive myself. XD I do mighty silly things for the love of that cat.


Photobucket

X_X How do little kids carry these boxes through the mall?!





I just want to go on record and say that Build-a-Bear is way too special for me. This is coming from a girl who owns over 100 HK plushies. There is way too much song and dance involved in the building process. You got to dance with the heart (of the plushie), wiggle around for some reason, give the plushie a bath, and make it a birth certificate. Just....way too much for me.

Then my mom (the person off to the side laughing at me as the Build-a-Bear lady made me go through this song and dance despite the fact that I am WAAAAAY older than the usual clientele and thus not feeling the whole make a wish thing) pointed out to me the store is called BUILD-A-BEAR. You are paying for the experience to build/create your own bear. Also this store is aimed at little girls who like this kind of stuff. All of which tells me my mom must have hated me as a child for not taking me to Build-a-Bear when it could have actually been cool.

Long story short. I wanted the Hello Kitty doll. I could have done without the song and dance. Wished the woman could have sensed that. ON TO MY AWESOME DOLL!

Photobucket

I hope you know the suffering I went through for you.

TADA! All the dancing and kisses resulted in this big headed freak. Lies I love my plushie. I love most HK plushies but this one is special. I pushed the fake pedal that stuffed her!

Photobucket

Cute necklace is cute.

The few times that I expressed interest in making a non HK doll at Build-a-Bear my husband talked me out of it with his logic about it costing too much and I could buy a different, already made HK plushie for far less. And I always thought he was just being cheap for saying so.

I am here to say HOLY COW my husband was so right. Build-a-Bear is expensive! When I first heard about the limited edition HK plushie at Build-a-Bear I thought I would just make the one that was advertised on the website. However that doll with all the accessories was 48 dollars. X_X I know HK is expensive but good grief!!!! So yes husband, you are right. But I am still going to buy this overpriced piece of cuteness.

Why am I saying this all? Because at least the base doll came with a free little 35th anniversary necklace. I enjoy free.

Photobucket

Hello Kitty's trademark bow. XD


Photobucket

Hello Kitty doesn't need not stinkin shoes.

Hello Kitty has a cute design on her feet, one that matches her bow. Therefore i couldn't bring myself to cover them up with shoes. Or I was already spending too much on her and the shoes were the easiest thing to drop. But I do think her feet look cute.

Photobucket

Behold the awesome shirt!

Half the reason I wanted to make the Hello Kitty doll was this shirt! I haven't gotten much 35th anniversary HK merchandise yet and that makes me feel a Hello Kitty slacker. But I think this shirt+doll is one of the top 35th anniversary items out there. Slapping on 35th anniversary on random items doesn't really make a product special. Of course some might say that Build-a-Bear is just trying to ride the HK gravy train.

But the shirt is pretty cute. Despite the fact that Hello Kitty and her big head required me to put the shirt on over her legs and it made me look like a crazy person in front of some 6 years olds. It has a simple pattern on the front and more details on the trim in true HK fashion. I love the whole HK face instead of head. A simple doll shirt can make me smile so I am happy that I was able to get this outfit. XD

Photobucket

Pretty decent size plushie! Rule them all Hello Kitty, rule them all.

So that is my Hello Kitty doll. I survived the specialness that is Build-a-Bear and I spent a good chunk of my Christmas money to make this doll but I am happy. I got to bond with my (hopefully) soon to be sister-in-law. I made another wonderful memory with my mother, one that she will bring up when she wants to laugh at my pain. Anyone who is an avid HK collector should stop by Build-a-Bear to make this doll, it is well worth the crazy effort and certainly worth the money.

But still beware the crazy effort.



1 comment:

Satsuki said...

looks like fun ^_^ and you're not that strange, buying a hello kitty in build a bear, in the UK apparently there was an mob of 30 year olds in the store making hello kitty's too. The only sad thing to say is most were buying them to put on ebay for even more money :( and I ended up spending over £20 for just the cat, I wish I lived in the USA.