Sunday, March 14, 2010

Shakugan no Shana episode 1: Tenchi is behind with the times!

Shakugan no Shana has been on my must watch anime list for quite a while. But I am a slacker. Just look at poor Chrome Shelled Regios (and I guess Shugo Chara). But my husband is out of town and I have decided to fill the void and watch nothing but Shakugan no Shana for the next few days.

Photobucket

Why go outside when you can watch anime inside?

Because me going outside and having a life would be too silly.

I have a feeling that this series will be one of those epic/complicated issues that would take 569078 words to properly describe it I decided to stop and share a few thoughts on episode one. Then I shall look back and think DUDE you were confused. Because I am.

Spoilers only for episode one. Which I don’t think account for much because I am confused.





Episode summary so all can be confused with me:

Photobucket

Clearly someone is not having a good day.

Yuji, a fresh face high school student, talks about how today was just a normal day until he died. He talks about school and his ordinary life as he stops at a stoplight. Then the sky turns all dark and sparkly blue. A spell of sometime fills the area and a giant baby doll with a giant baby doll head ball appears and turns people into blue lights and eats said lights. A girl pops out of nowhere and starts to slash at the giant baby doll. She then slices Yuji from the arm down. Then poof, it’s a week ago when Yuji started high school with his friend Hayato. There is small talk about two kids who probably will become important in the series as they are the jock and the tough kid. Yuji also makes friends with a girl named Yukari.

Photobucket

Thanks for being super creepy!

After school Yuji sees the jock and the bad boy but keeps going on his way. He does stop and talk to Yukari at the CD store but they part ways. As Yuji is walking home again the scene from the beginning of the episode takes place, only with a slightly different beginning and much longer fight scene. The baby doll sucks people until they disappear and the baby doll head ball says creepy things. Yuji doesn’t disappear and only looks on in fear. The baby doll and ball use a bunch of unexplained terms to describe the situation and what Yuji could be before they attack him. Shana (not named but YOU KNOW) appears and attacks the baby doll. She also is force to slice Yuji when he tries to protect another baddie. Yuji protects this baddie because she appeared to be human. The humanoid baddie gets sliced down by Shana and her real body, a tiny doll, flies away. Shana finishes the fight and is not amused by Yuji screaming that he is hurt.

Photobucket

Super glue for the win!!!

After just simply pressing Yuji back together Shana uses something (maybe that talking necklace of hers) to bring back all the people and repair the city. The city then returns to its normal state or so we think. But one of the people that Shana just brought back, a little boy, disappears into blue smoke and his mother doesn’t seem worried. Yuji runs up to Shana and questions what is going on. At the advice of her talking necklace Shana explains that Yuji died a long time ago and those people died just now. Shana is here to make sure balance is restored and they create place holders called Torches for the lives that were just taken. Shana refers to them as objects and Yuji suffers from shock. Elsewhere the humanoid baddie returns to her master’s lair who laughs at all this chaos. THE END! Or the beginning!

X_x

x_X

In all fairness this episode really wasn’t that confusing. Just when Yuji got sucked into that whatever world of darkness and the confusion and the 587 terms blew away my brain. XD One might think the lead up to the death and destruction was a little low key actually.

I’m going to be a little all over the place on this blog post so forgive my randomness.

Photobucket

I'm a brutally honest and wow I thought that was.....

This is certainly an interesting way to start of an anime. Oh hi you are dead and an entire street of people, including your new friend, are dead too. Well technically the people are dead and you learn that you are just some replacement to balance out the world. Tough day to be Yuji.

Photobucket

Am I supposed to care about you?

Shana was just so nonchalant about the situation. Um yeah, you are an object, stop wasting my time. I am sure I will learn soon that Shana is just jaded from having to carry out this task for years and that deep down she is a lovely person. But man was she harsh on Yuji. Break the truth a little easier will ya?!

Photobucket

Um okay?

All of the terms….made my brain blow up. But at least I know what Torches are, the created beings to take the place of humans who got their energy sucked out. Now maybe next week all those other terms could be explained? Or maybe at an even slower pace? It’s great that the terms don’t contain the word fons though XD

Photobucket

I'm here to kick butt. Welcome me!

Shana is full of cute/evil goodness. Not that she had much to say in this episode but one can tell (only through hours and hours of anime watching) that Shana is going to play the tough girl act but deep down she is a kind person. She is going to treat Yuji like crap but she will fall in love with him…and still treat him like crap. She is going to like something super cute but in battle going to kick butt. That all being said….she was still unsympathetic man! I get that you have to distance yourself from this awful situation but X_X.

Photobucket

Ah Yuji. Trying to do the right thing...

Yuji could go several routes. He could either fall apart at the news that he is dead or he could suck it up and become a hero. If I had been told that I was dead I would be crying in the streets and losing my mind. Yuji does seem like the curious type though so he is definitely going to become an annoyance to the otherwise “I do my own thing” Shana. Of course he is sticking around or else there would be no show. XD

Photobucket

Smooth like sand paper.

I kinda thought the jock and the rebel being introduced in that way was a bit much. Like oh hey, there are two important characters over there, lets point them out for no reason. Neither boys were doing anything to draw attention to themselves but Hayato needs to inform Yuji about them. Also it is a bit scary in many high school stories someone always knows about kids from other schools. Super spies or something.

Photobucket

Because Pandora Hearts didn't give me enough nightmares...

The fighting scenes were pretty neat. Maybe everyone bleeding blue fuzzies was a little X_X. Bleed some real blood people. And I would talk about the cliché “it’s happening in another plane so the world isn’t really hurt” but I like it so it’s okay. Clichés are okay if I say they are!

Photobucket

Look at me, being all evil and pretty.

The art is pretty good and the music is okay. Again I am probably too picky when it comes to music so I am not one to say MOG best opening/closing song ever. But the opening song was catchy enough. The eyes might be a little bit giant at times but then I remembered I was watching anime and shut my mouth XD

Photobucket

Yeah...let's start off with confusing stuff! XD

I think there are several reasons why this anime is/was popular (you know, back when it first came out and not now 78654 years later). One being animes that have an overly complicated first episode tend to be popular for some reason. Two being this seems like a very cool show. XD So yay for having nothing to do for three days (why did I promise to wait to play the new Pokémon game WHY?!?!?!) so I can marathon this entire series. That way if a season three comes out soon I will be on the ball! Go me for not waiting til the last minute.

Also I like Shana’s hair better when it’s red. Good thing the nendoroid has red hair. XD




No comments: