Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Eden of the East movie: King of Eden


Photobucket

Shocked and...well just shocked.

Back when Eden of the East was airing everyone was pretty gunho about the two movies. Especially after the series ended after 11 episodes with a bit of a cliffhanger. Okay a lot of a cliff hanger.

But when movies premier in Japan it takes a little while for them to get on DVD. Logic. So many people who enjoyed the series thought OH it will be worth the wait and all these unaddressed issues will be addressed right?

Wrong. I might be alone in this opinion but I am pretty disappointed in the Eden of the East: King of Eden movie.





I was so disappointed I almost don’t want to blog about it now and wait for the 2nd movie to see how everything is going to end. Because this movie didn’t solve anything, brought up more issues, and felt like 3 episodes instead of a standalone movie.

This movie was only for those who watched the original series. If you didn’t you are going to be quite confused, more so than those who have watched the series. Not to say that those who have watched the series understood what was going on but it helps to at least know who the characters are while watching this movie.

The art was spot on as usually so no complaints there. Some people have actually been complaining that the art was too similar and should have been better given that it was a movie. Not understanding that train of thought, I rather the art be similar in the movie and the anime.

Photobucket

Rollin with the punches as usual.

Akira forgetting who he is again is a bit sad and frustrating but we knew at the end of episode 11 he erased his memories. Not sure WHY as it might be easier for him to become the King of Japan if he knew why he was being thrust into that position and he would be able to protect himself and Saki from the other Selecao who are out to get them. But despite him forgetting who he was Akira is still Akira. Maybe he is too quick to believe all the craziness going on around him but I like his personality. Makes me sad that he forgot about Saki though.

Photobucket

I'm armed and dangerous!

I don’t think Saki is as strong as she was in the anime. More wishy washy looking for my guy kind personality going on. I thought maybe her working in the industry of her dream would make her happier but of course she is more focused on Akira which makes sense. I think she is still in the dark about the whole Selecao issue thingy and I thought it was a really bad move of her to suggest to Akira to not be the King of Japan. His life is already in danger, might as well be the King while he is at it.

Photobucket

Juiz has more personality this time around.

I think the issue I had was….I had no idea what was going on in the entire movie. Why does Juiz think making Akira the Prime Minister’s illegitimate son would be a positive step towards becoming King? That just sounds like a plan of fail. Why did that Selecao go to great lengths to stalk Saki and Akira? Maybe he is a just a crazy person but I have no idea what his issue is. Why are the other Selecao’s (the kid and the ex-government official) so gunho on blowing up Japan? The way to save Japan is to blow up parts of it so people can be happy they survived and work together towards a better future? Dude didn’t they already do that?!

I am not sure how the Eden program was a big help towards to other Selecao’s plans or why erasing Akira’s past was going to destroy/help anyone. It was such a dramatic point of the movie and I don’t get it. I don’t get the entire movie but that might be because we have meet the more dangerous Selecaos and we aren’t meant to know as this movie is just Part One. I am not sure how many people are going to be around to care about Part Two but that is the way they chose to work things out. I personally think it would have been better to do back to back releases. Two cliffhangers in a row 6 months about is just bleh.

Photobucket

And these trailers are for...?

I think the most confusing thing about the movie was at the end where everyone’s trailers were getting blown up. What do the trailers have to do with the Selecaos being in the game or not? If they are so important to keep a secret why were they out in the open and so close together? It was totally bizarre and came out of nowhere. It seemed like an easy way to get some of the Selecaos out of the picture without them spending all their money. Please explain this issue before any others okay?

I do like that the Selecaos don’t really die when they run out of money. I was a bit sad at the thought that the doctor dying when he truly worked hard to make Japan better. But the issue of people losing their memories AGAIN is a bit much.

Photobucket

Remember where you came from and eat cheap food!

Pantsu has left the house and participates in the outside world! I love that he admonishes the others about forgetting their NEET roots. XD I mean, it is naturally to be upset at someone who leaving their past behind but the very nature of making it possible to be a NEET and do what you want in life will end in either being successful or being a basement dweller. You can’t be upset when people succeed right?

Photobucket

I am glad that Juiz is confused too. XD

I know that this post hasn’t been brimming with information but at this time I am just confused and wouldn’t be able to summarize this movie properly. It will probably make more sense when the second movie comes out. Since the second movie just came out this month I speculate in 4 months we shall have our answers. For now

I am disappointed, perplexed, and mad that my dumb Eevees apparently don’t have enough Friendship to evolve into what I want them to evolve into! So yeah…the movie could have been better but I will hold out hope that the 2nd movie will save everything.

So…I guess my recommendation is to wait until the second movie comes out and watch both of them at the same time! XD Yay for waiting!



No comments: