Thursday, March 25, 2010

Kobato Episode 23-24: Final Episodes!


Photobucket

What is this crap?!??!!!?

I have never typed an episode post with tears in my eyes before. Let’s see how this works shall we!!!

As always I made a mistake. I was not aware that episode 24 of Kobato came out at the same time as episode 23. Had I known that I would have waited until Wednesday night to watch BOTH of the episodes at the same time. But no, not me! I decided lalala MOG EPISODE 23 IS UP MUCH WATCH NOW! Then I find out Oh Hai, episode 24 is also up and it will probably be subbed by the time you come home from work Wednesday afternoon so now you are suffering for nothing. This is my life every single day of the week.

Seeing as refreshing every anime site known to mankind isn’t really working I shall blog episode 23 now. Then when I come home from work Wednesday I shall blog episode 24 and hopefully the mood will be a lot happier. About 2476 percent more happy. Do you hear me CLAMP?! MORE HAPPY!

Spoilers. I has them. You want them.





Kobato is DEAD!

Episode 23 summary:

Photobucket

Her help is not appreciated most of the time....

Kobato is dead. But we don’t know that yet. Kobato has decided to help Fujimoto out in his daily trails since his arm is still busted and there is no nursery to run. Fujimoto is not really keen on this idea as Kobato tags along. Ioryogi also is not very fond of this idea as Kobato needs to get candy and she has spending all her time helping an ungrateful Fujimoto out. She manages to drag him to a park and explains she just wants him to be happy. She tries to row them around a lake but that is made of fail. She tries to feed the fish but he stomps off all moody. Ioryogi warns Kobato again and tries to get a random Kohaku walking by to agree with him. But Kobato says she has made her decision and leaves Ioryogi with Kohaku as she hunts Fujimoto down. She tries to be perky and tells him she cares about him when a messenger bunny appears. She then tells Fujimoto that she can’t spend the day with him tomorrow. He says something like GOOD you annoy me anyway and Kobato just smiles. Fujimoto is an asshole in case someone needs me to point that out to them.

Photobucket

Poor Ioryogi is more depressed than Kobato.

Kobato packs her bags and the next morning tells Chitose that she is moving out. Chitose is sad and wants Kobato to keep in touch with Kobato avoids answering. Ioryogi has flashbacks to the previous day where he is expressing that this is a very bad idea but Kobato has made her decision. Oh by the way Kobato has such a positive attitude with this all it is mind blowing and heart breaking. Kobato packs up all her crap and heads to the park. She says she has no regrets as she was happy to be near Fujimoto. She gets to the park and a bunny appears which pisses Ioryogi off. Kobato shows her bottle of candy not filled all the way and the bunny is like NO SIR. Ioryogi gets more pissed but Kobato calmly tells him this is how it must be. She almost takes off her hat but Fujimoto comes running up yelling and trying to hide his concern for Kobato. Kobato again is ever cheerful about the situation.

Photobucket

OH HAI! I am a jerk!

Ioryogi chooses to talk to Fujimoto, revealing he is a talking plushie and tells Kobato to take off her hat. She does so and reveals that she is dead. Ioryogi explains her situation and that she had created a contract with god to be reborn one more time and try to fulfill her wish. Yet spending time with Fujimoto was more important thus Kobato fails. The bunny traps Kobato in a shield as Kobato cries and tells Fujimoto she was happy. Fujimoto finally gets it through his thick skull how Kobato feels and somehow this heals his heart. His candy is big enough to fill Kobato’s body up which turns all the candy into slug. This means that Kobato isn’t going to die…but that her original wish will be fulfilled and she will have to leave Fujimoto anyway. Did I mention that Kobato is smiling the entire episode?!Ioryogi is truly pissed and tries killing the bunny which is probably a bad idea since he is already in deep doo doo trouble. Kohaku’s voice tries to tell us that things happen for a reason and that CLAMP will not let us down. Kobato says goodbye and Fujimoto goes to hug her. Only she breaks into tiny flower petals and disappears. THE END!

Photobucket

WTF is going on?!

If you watched this episode and didn’t cry…well…I don’t know what’s wrong with you. Watch it again and maybe your eyes will start working correctly or something.

Photobucket

I swear this line gets said in every CLAMP series.

After months of speculation Kobato is dead. Not an angel or a bird but dead. DEAD PEOPLE! I went to drown my tears in sorrow but it turns out ice cream can go bad! Word to all: when ice cream tastes like sand DO NOT CONTINUE EATING THE ICE CREAM!

Photobucket

Fujimoto's candy is special candy apparently.

Now we/I still may be right. Kobato might be a dead angel or a dead bird or a dead Fujimoto’s mother (or sister as I see some people are speculating). And had I waited until both episodes were up I would know the answers to all this mess. But since I didn’t I am just going to have to suffer even longer without only half the puzzle. But at least we know right? We can be happy about that right?
Or not. Since Kobato is DEAD!

Photobucket

A cute crown does not make me feel better!

And don’t try to cute it up CLAMP! A crown?! That cute crown means Kobato is dead?! I hate you. All of you. Only I don’t which pisses me off. It just hurts that this happy, positive girl has been dead the entire series (okay she was temporarily reborn with the threat of being dead again) and yet still felt so strongly for other people. WHY CLAMP WHY!!!!

Also it breaks my heart that the person Kobato was talking about, dying from something minor, was her. Bring on the tears. :(

Photobucket

Why are you making me cry Kobato?! WHY?!

Why Kobato WHY! Why didn’t you spend the rest of the time you had getting all the candy you could get?!?! Oh that’s right. Either way you weren’t going to be with Fujimoto. You were either going to be dead or be at the place you wanted to go. WHY CLAMP WHY?!

Photobucket

Fujimoto is a typical boy. So he fails.

And seriously Fujimoto? Did I hurt your feelings? UM YEAH! You have been hurting her feelings for the past 21 episodes dummy! So don’t you think telling her to leave you alone was rude!? So yeah you hurt her feelings. Granted you didn’t know that she was DEAD and these were her last days with you but still. THANKS FUJIMOTO!

Photobucket

Money is overrated anyway...

Wait there was more to this episode? You mean the first 14 minutes? Oh. Yeah Kobato following Fujimoto was cute but I guess I can see how he got a little irritated with her. Even though in the previous paragraph I screamed at him. Since Kobato used all her time up and she had a month left she spent that entire month helping Fujimoto and his arm? Yeah I could see how that might drive someone who is already antisocial to the breaking point. Neither are at fault of course. Just a frustrating situation.

Photobucket

Stop being so calm!

Did I mention that Kobato is dead? And that CLAMP is special for thinking a magical crown that glows on someone’s head will be hidden by a hat? How about no! And how about we don’t kill Kobato. :( I think this is the most we are going to get out of me. This episode is sad people. Did you see Kobato break into thousand of flower petals! SADNESS FILLS MY EYES! Is it tomorrow already?

Photobucket

Why would you end the episode with this scene?! DO YOU HATE ME?!

BEHOLD IT IS NOW WEDNESDAY! Things are now right in the world but you already know that. Come, take a stroll with me as this day is much better than yesterday.


Episode 24 Summary:

Kobato disappears and all memories/traces of her are erased by the bunny! Some time passes and Fujimoto seems to be less of a jerk now. He almost remembers Kobato when he sees her empty room and tries to remember why he is so depressed. He stops by where the old nursery was and Sayaka and the kids are there. A building is being built and one wonders if that building will have room for a new nursery making that whole plot useless. Fujimoto tries to think of why he could be so depressed. He does his laundry and a piece of Kobato’s candy falls out of his clothes and suddenly he remembers her! Fujimoto rushes around town trying to find someone else who remembers Kobato but he comes up empty. Until he runs into Kohaku.

Photobucket

My memories...they sparkle!

Kohaku invites Fujimoto inside and explains to Fujimoto what happened to Kobato. That a long time ago Kobato died in another world yet was given the chance to be reborn to earn the right to be by the side of her lover once again. While Kohaku doesn’t know where Kobato is now she explains to Fujimoto the basic rules of CLAMP that souls tied together will always be reunited. Fast forward like….10 years in the future. Maybe 8. More than 5 okay! Fujimoto is working at a law office and is asked to go look at an estate that is being passed down from grandfather to granddaughter. He arrives at the country side and finds the old house complete with a piano. He starts to play Kobato’s song and remembers the time they spent together. The granddaughter comes up the lane and starts singing Kobato’s song because OH HAI she is Kobato.

Photobucket

Well...that is Fujimoto being sad....

Fujimoto does his best not to freak out and tells her that song is from a lost love. Kobato wishes him well and sings one more time with him. She starts remembering her past life and starts to cry. Her tear turns into candy and KA-BOOM flower petals. She remembers being Kobato and says that she is so dumb, that the entire time she was trying to get back to him while she was with him! CLAMP style they hug because kissing is overrated people. There are tears and everything is sparkly and wonderful. As Kobato’s song plays the viewer gets to see what all the other character have been up to in whatever number of years have passed. The main preschool kids look around 13 now, Okiura is now running the new nursery with Sayaka, and all the animals…are still animals because Ioryogi is fine watching over Kobato still. It appears that everyone will remember Kobato as the bunny flies around with pink sparkles and all is well. THE END!

Kobato is no longer dead, is on Earth, and is with Fujimoto! CLAMP GAVE US A HAPPY ENDING WOOHOO!!! Fai lives, Kobato lives, CLAMP is on a roll! Now make Kamui and Subaru live and I will love you forever.

That being said…I can see how people may not be happy with this ending. Some people are never happy with good endings. Take Clannad for example. A lot of the fan boys were boohooing and crying in the corner that some MIRACLE happened (apparently they weren’t paying attention to the point of the show) and the do over was a copout. Well those fan boys suck. Happy endings rock okay?! There are plenty of animes that leave half the cast dead on the side of the road. Hell go watch X/1999 if you need a piece of CLAMP + blood=no happy ending. So if you are mad because Kobato lives go far far away.

Now…do I think there is a bit too magical that things worked out and some plot points were forgotten on the side of the road? Yes I do. Like I know this isn’t the manga but I thought a few weeks ago it might have been implied that Kobato might have been really, REALLY important to Ioryogi. But that was never covered.

ALSO I am disappointed that we never got to see where Kobato wanted to go. I know her wish changed to being by Fujimoto’s side and perhaps that was her wish before, just that Fujimoto had been reincarnated from another planet and has no memories of all this not making sense stuff. But I wanted to see the original place Kobato wanted to go to. I wanted to see that Fujimoto. Or that place. Or even how she died.

But if you take a moment to think about it that might not be possible. Let’s say that Fujimoto and Kobato from long ago lived on planet X. Kobato died of something horrible and wanted to have another chance to be with her lover. However while Kobato is in limbo Fujimoto dies as well and is reincarnated on Earth. Kobato goes to Earth and fulfills her contract which means she gets her wish filled. Her wish was never go back to planet X, it was to be with Fujimoto. SOOOOOO Kobato’s wish changed but it really didn’t?

The more I try to explain it the more the melodramatic antics of some of the characters make no sense. Okay I just walked away to make dinner and I thought it over. It makes sense that Ioryogi and Kohaku were sad face because they didn’t know Kobato’s original wish was to be with Fujimoto. They only knew that was her new wish. But still shame on you bunny! For not giving us hope and all that jazz. Things make more sense now that I think about it in CLAMP universe rules. So while it all might seem like a sweet candy filled ending…it is. But it does make sense if you really, really thing about it.

But I am still disappointed that we didn’t see more of Kobato’s past. Also was Kobato 6 when she was in love with adult Fujimoto? That part is kinda creepin me out. X_X

Also I am a bit insane with all the theories I had in my head. See how I was utterly wrong with all of them? I had so many this time I thought I had a good chance of one of them being right! But I was wrong. But I like being wrong.

Photobucket

You're happy with this all?! Crazy Kurogane...errr Ioryogi.

Even if I do think Ioryogi got a pretty bad ending. Of course it looks like he is going to get a really bad ending in the manga so him being happy watching over Kobato might be a good ending. I just thought there would be more about his story and his angel. I think the writers really ran out of time/wasted time and they didn’t cover Ioryogi like they should have. But I guess the real losers are Mr. Bear, Mr. Bird, and Ginsei. Especially Ginsei.

But hello people Kobato is alive!!!! That is all that matters people!

Photobucket

Something doesn't feel right.....

The first part of the episode could have used more Kobato. But since she was off being a teenager in the country side we had Fujimoto. I love how he constantly had thoughts of Kobato and didn’t suddenly remember her. It felt more powerful that he was on the verge of remembering her time after time. To me that signifies that he actually deserves to be with her. Even though he got all his memories back and most of those good times he was not a happy camper. That’s not the point though right? Yay for Fujimoto having strong feelings.

Photobucket

REMEMBER HER NOW!

I also loved how he ran through town panicked about Kobato. I wish he LOOKED for her but at least he did something. Also this proves that all the time he was being rude to Kobato and acting like she annoyed him he really loved her deep down.

Photobucket

Shocking?! Dude we already know this all.

Kohaku really didn’t give us any extra information. In fact Ioryogi gave Fujimoto almost the exact same information three months prior but meh. I wish that Kohaku knew more but then the ending wouldn’t have been as beautiful. I see that some people think that Kohaku should have had a bigger role but I think she did enough. This was about Kobato, not Wish 2…even though it might appear that way. You know, people getting second chances, God appearing to be unfair but really working in everyone’s best interest.

Photobucket

FAIL FUJIMOTO! FAIL!

I think granddaughter Kobato could have acted more Kobato like. Granted she wasn’t on screen that much but she was too laid back. I wanted that happy, goofy laugh. I wanted her to trip over something or talk Fujimoto’s ear off. I also wanted Fujimoto to be more shock to see her and act like this was a big deal! None of this I shall leave and just be happy that you are alive crap. Fight for her Fujimoto!

Kobato also proved that she deserved to be with Fujimoto when she started to remember him while singing. Granted Kobato proved the entire series that she deserved to be with him but that just hammered home all that stuff about destiny, same souls, and that other stuff CLAMP is always singing. And now the song she sang 5876 times makes sense too.

Photobucket

Everyone say AWWWWWWWWWWWW!

JUST A HUG?! Would it kill you to draw a kiss CLAMP?! Do you hate me that much? And Fujimoto, I know you are big and bad and are being all adult like but it’s okay to cry. You waited how many years to be with Kobato, someone you thought might be off on another planet being in love with someone else? It’s okay to smile and not act all tough guy.

Photobucket

I love it. Just truly Kobatoish!

But Kobato wears her heart on her sleeve. Even if she didn’t say I LOVE YOU. I’m back was enough for me. And that epic hug. Loved it!!!

Photobucket

Am I supposed to know the model?


Photobucket

I love that they are still friends. Also no love triangles!


Photobucket

I believe this scene. Only not.


I also love the “let’s see what everyone is doing” ending. This time it actually works as it is set in the future. Also I think the jump is more like 5 years as Granny with the baby has a new baby and the old baby looks 5ish. I loved every second of that closing even if it took away from the fuzzy Fujimoto and Kobato moment.

However the series did end with that hug. Kobato and Fujimoto deserved that moment and if you didn’t have tears in your eyes well people I don’t know what to do with you people! This was touching so you better be crying. I don’t care if you thought this was too happy of an ending you still need to be moved by this moment!!!

So 3000 words later….yeah I liked these last two episodes. Even if I think things were a little rushed and some issues (Ioryogi especially) should have gotten more air I like the ending. I think we all can agree this is a better ending that the original Tsubasa anime okay? So while I think people are going to be more satisfied with the manga ending (which will take its sweet time and cover more of the Ioryogi issue I am sure) the anime ending held its own.

The series as a whole could have done better had there been less fillery moments. You know, less friends of the week and more of the plot. I think at first the anime was trying to stay truthful to the manga and was stalling for time. But then when it became apparent that the manga comes out slower than crap it was a rush to the finish. That being said I enjoyed almost every single episode.

Kobato was my favorite character. Yeah she was a bit too cheerful and optimistic at times, sorta like she was constantly on happy pills. But that is who she is, a CLAMP heroine who sees no evil and only wants love. Also I love her constant outfit changes. She deserved to have her wish granted.

I still think that Fujimoto was a jerk a lot of time and only came to appreciate Kobato after she was gone. But since that is usually how things work in life it is understand Fujimoto regretted his actions. Also I think he protested too much. He surely enjoyed himself despite the angry faces he had all the time.

But now it is all over. We were all hoping that Kobato would be happy and she is. We were hoping that she and Fujimoto would get to be together and now they are. All we have left are the happy memories the show has brought us the past 23 weeks. Seems like such a long time but it really flew by. Every time a show ends it is a mixed feeling. You wait every week to see what happens but then the end comes and you want more. XD We humans are silly.

I enjoyed this show and I hope everyone else who watched it every week did too. Any CLAMP fan should watch this series. And if you are in the mood for a happy magical tale of love and silliness this is the series for you. Watch Kobato, I have commanded it. Thanks for sticking around all these weeks to read my silly theories and thoughts! See ya next series!

Rating: 9/10




9 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Hachiko said...

I absolutely loved reading this post! And true, if people didn't end this series with tears in their eyes I'm scared for the future of Humanity.

Christina said...

I am glad you liked this post. XD After watching episode 23 I had tears/rage in my eyes and then after episode 24 I was too happy to think straight. But I am glad it made sense. XD

I am a sucker for a happy anime ending. I rarely cry for real movie endings but when it comes to anime I am moved to tears more often. Let's just hope the manga ending is happy as well. As happy as CLAMP makes its mangas of course.

Anonymous said...

wow. that was greatt. (;

Anonymous said...

I like your blog. :D It's pure truth and straight-forward thoughts... And add some humor. :T
I kindaa didn't like how Kobato and Fujimoto didn't rlly do anything. But, overall the anime was good.Though, I wouldnt say, it was soo good. During the anime, it constantly switched to meeting different people, i didn't rlly like it too, but it helped the story move along.
& i personally think the ending was the best(even though there was no kissing..or any romance, besides a HUG. >_>;) Ohh well, it was alittle romantic. And sweet. ;)
*hardcore Fujibato fan* xP <3'

Christina said...

Anonymous(es)- I really liked how we got both of these episodes at the same time. I might have had a meltdown if I had to wait for episode 24.

I am glad you like my writing style. I try to write what I would say if I were explaining the episode in person. Only with blogging I get to use visual aids. XD

CLAMP has a tendency to gloss over happy endings. I am trying to think of a couple who got a happy ending and a romantic kiss at the same time. X_X So considering this IS CLAMP that is about as romantic as things were going to get and we should be grateful. XD

But if you haven't I think you should really read the manga. It is going to have a different ending and I think it makes Fujimoto less of an asshole XD It's really great.

Anonymous said...

Ohh..okay. (: I guess i haven't thought about the manga. I'll read it for sure.
Anyways, I finished watching everything yesturday.
It was sad, but i didn't cry..lol. sorry?><'
Right now, im starting on another anime, got any good sugestions? :)

Christina said...

Anonymous- You should definitely read the manga. I am going to warn you that Kobato comes out SLOW AS MUD. Like we are lucky to get a chapter a month. So while it is a great story ( and much more in depth than the anime) you will be pulling your hair out in frustration. XD

Clannad is a pretty good story about romance with comedy and super natural elements sprinkled all over the place.

Shakugan no Shana is really great. Some action, romance, super natural crazy events, and high school scenes. Just don't watch the movie, that was pretty boring.

Anonymous said...

Okayy, i'll make sure i won't die of frustration reading the manga. xD
-
Alriight. (:
Thanks a lot. I'll be suree to keep an eye for those. 8)