Sunday, April 11, 2010

Wait what? You're mad because you saved money?

Yesterday was a pretty horrible day at work. Despite watching Angel Beats right before going in I was in a pretty foul mode til quitting time. Yuri and her team of misfits couldn't save my night!

In between being really, really short on staff and running out of very basic materials there was one instance that stuck out in my head. Something happened that I thought I would never have to complain about. Something happened that usually is a super positive for the customer and it somehow turned into drama central. It made me wonder if it was a full moon last night or if this was the icing on the crazy cake that was my shift.

Click for my mini post on a dumb customer! Also pray that I catch Suicune soon. I keep killing that sucker and using up all my pokeballs!

On a side note I am sad that Law and Order: CI lost Ross, Eames, and Goren. I seriously don't know how the series will survive without Goren.



I am not sure what happened at the beginning of the interaction with said customer. But given the fact that my co-worker is way too nice for her own good I doubt it was anything interesting or evil. Basically she gave this guy a discount. I am not sure who he was but I assumed he was someone she or the owner knows. We give out discounts all the time (more than I would like but hey, not my business and if it applies to my friends too WOOHOO right?) so this didn't strike me as odd.

I got involved once I handed the dude his pizzas. I usually call the name out, hand the person their pizzas, and wish them a nice day. Last night I was doing it with a little more speed since MOG we are behind on everything. The man comes up to the counter and says something isn't right. Great, a mistake on top of being backed up and short staffed? I ask what is wrong and he said that he wasn't charged right for his pizza, that he owes us money.

.....Okay. Maybe this dude is just really honest and doesn't want to get the cashier in trouble because her til will be short. Or he is a jerk and wants to get the cashier in trouble. But co-worker explains that she gave him a discount. Again I don't know WHY but considering we were really backed up and people were waiting a long time he probably deserved one. And I really thought this guy knew SOMEONE at our store so him getting a discount wasn't a shocker.

But the guy kept arguing that the math didn't add up. Yes dude, that is how a discount works. Something is one price and you get to pay less! Truly a magical occurrence. Yes I know you didn't pay your normal price but you got a discount! Happily take your pizza and shut your mouth so other people don't get all offended that they don't get discounts too. I don't have time for you to whine about owing us money. Put it in the tip jar if you think you weren't charged enough.

This story wouldn't get a post if this was the end of the story though. No no, home boy had to go one step further. He decides that in the middle of all this craziness that he should call the store like 10 minutes later to speak to someone in charge and complain about not paying full price.

That's right folks, someone called and complained because we were nice enough to give them a discount. I told you I live in the Twilight Zone.

Again I am not sure what went down because I didn't answer the phone. But I do know that whoever had to calm down home boy was not amused that they were taken away from actually working to deal with this nut bag. This has now crossed from genuinely concerned to I am a jerk who want to get someone in trouble.

Is there a chance that home boy was a bit insulted that he was given a discount? Maybe. Maybe he thought we were being charitable to someone who could AFFORD to pay the full price and how dare we insinuate that he is poor? Who knows, I don't. Didn't know the guy but had I been him I would have been happy. It's not like we gave him the pizzas for free. But in any event thanks for being a crazy person on a night where everything was going wrong. We really didn't have time to deal with you being butt hurt for no reason and/or trying to get my co-worker in trouble. In the future we will make sure to never give you a free side of sauce or any discount in anyway. Really, what were we thinking?

This is why we can't have nice things.


No comments: