Sunday, April 18, 2010

Penguins. That is all.

Sometimes I get the urge to go out and spend money on things I really don't need and serve no purpose in life. Since I am happy with a $9 T-shirt and $4 meal I have a bit of playing room when it comes to buying "useless" treasures.

Today I had an urge to buy something cute. Because I don't own enough stuffed animals. Here is what I bought.




Photobucket

Snuggle it now!!!


This was completely a compulsive buy. This little guy cost about what I make in an hour. And he won't be alone on the guest bed that is also known as PlushieVille. But it made me happy.

I don't drive a fancy car and eat out at fancy places. No designer purses in this house. I can't think of any article of clothing I spent more than 20 dollars on including my shoes.

So while I might think the above items are a waste of money someone might treasure their importance greatly. They might put all their extra money into dining at the best restaurants or wearing the best fashions. But everyone out there has something that they buy and it can't be explained rationally. We buy it/them because it makes us happy and we don't need any other reason.

Anime fans often have to explain their spending to non anime friends and family members. I can't count how many times I have heard my mother complain about how I spent way too much on a hunk of plastic (nendoroids mom, nendoroids) or people questioning whether or not I have enough mangas yet (because apparently I own them all?). Yet when people come in with their fancy purses it's all MOG how great is that purchase.

So people of Earth: Stop judging how people spend their fun money. Yes I am a 26 year woman carrying around a stuffed penguin, a pack of Hello Kitty stickers, and a giraffe Littlest Pet Shop. I do not feel the need to "grow up" and buy a $500 purse that looks like someone killed grandma's tablecloth to make. I do not feel the need to stop buying my lovelies so I can afford to buy the newest and latest phone that will be so last season in 3 months. I do not feel the need to spend $50 a head at a fancy restaurant when my friends and I can have a great time at Steak and Shake, see a movie, and buy some mangas at the same price.

I like penguins. And stuffed animals. But I love my husband because he doesn't mind that our house is full of stuffed animals and penguins.

But everyone loves penguins right?

No comments: