Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Psycho-Pass episode 2

Three posts in one day!!! Go me! I would reward myself with ice cream but instead I ate a little Japanese snack called Rock'nPuff. It like...chocolate covered corn flakes I think. I ate the whole bag and I still don't know if I liked them or not. Is that weird? Still deciding folks.
Photobucket
Behold I am your personal pixie....I mean jellyfish.
Anyway...Psycho-Pass episode 2. I am the world's worst speller and the word Psycho makes my mind hurt. Spoilers for Akane being cute and getting her way with everything.
Photobucket
This is a good point. If Akane was really that upset why didn't her hue change colors?
Episode Summary: Akane is woken up by a floating jelly fish who happily tells her about the upcoming day and her hue color. Akane is still upset about how she messed up the mission and shot Shinya. Little jellyfish tells her she has places to be and people to see. Akane gets ready after selecting the style of her house. Her compact mirror has a huge selection of clothes and the computer readies her meal based on her caloric intake. Akane meets up with her two friends for a snack and a bit of gossip. She is unable to tell them how she messed up at her job but that it has her a bit depressed. Her friends note that her Psycho-Pass isn’t cloudy at all and how lucky she is. They also talk about how Akane had her choice of jobs while they were stuck due to their scores. Akane said she choice this job with the CID but now she is wondering about her decision. After this Akane heads to work as Yayoi is seen buttoning up her shirt leaving an office. Akane enters said office of Shion, the teams computer …person I guess. Shion teases Akane a bit about how she shot Shinya and what not. Akane starts to feel bad so Shion shows her how Shinya is doing. Shion doesn’t seem all that upset and talks about how all the Enforcers are prisoners.
Photobucket
Pizza Day Fridays!
Akane then walks over to her office where Shusei and Yayoi are….well wasting time. Shusei gives Akane a hard time while Yayoi is more helpful. Tomomi walks in and hopes the day is less eventful than the day before. Of course a call comes in that someone’s hue has clouded a local mall. Onwards Tomomi and Akane go. They dress up as mascot characters to hide in the crowd. Tomomi finds the suspect being all suspicious in the corner. Akane watches as Tomomi handles the entire encounter. Akane feels bad for not being more helpful and Tomomi points out that her job is to just make sure he does his job, nothing more. Sad Akane goes to eat dinner and Shusei joins her in an attempt to apologize. He asks why she joined up here and she says while she was able to take any job she wanted she was the only one in her class that was recommend to CID. Akane wanted to know why that was and what her true purpose in life really is. Shusei gets upset, as society is set up to not make people dream and she should accept her happy life. Shusei also mentions being a latent criminal since the age of 5 and maybe she shouldn’t dig so much. So Akane then goes to visit Shinya where she apologizes for shooting him. Shinya is a bit shocked by this all. Akane attempts to explain her thinking and that the victim is doing better. Shinya talks about how he has only been focused on revenge and doing his job in a way to make it easy. Somewhere along the way he forgot that humans were involved and saw them more as jobs. Apparently Akane has opened his eye balls up and Akane cries tears of happiness that she has touched him. But Shinya still wants his revenge so don’t forget that folks! THE END!!!
Photobucket
But....I want to be a real cop!
Well…that was a lot fluffier than I thought it was going to be. Not that I want someone to get exploded every single episode but I thought things were going to be a bit dark or something. Not….well jellyfish cute.
Photobucket
POOF! Your life is instantly better!
Lets talk about that, because the part where Akane talked got a bit annoying. This society….looks boring. At first I thought the jellyfish was just the alarm clock or her own personal system that made sure her pyscho-pass was kept in check. Then I realized…that nothing is real. Or really everything is calculated and created by a computer. Here eat this, wear this, live here, and this is your job. Everything has been decided for you. I was right. This society has basically created human robots. Only everything is so nicely packaged no one minds. Well except for those blown into tiny pieces. HMMM this sounds familiar.
Photobucket
Just way too easy folks.
But yes folks. Boring. I am sure people dream of owning every single cute outfit in the world and living in a gorgeous place and having your meals made for them by a floating jellyfish. But does it mean anything if its not real? Where is the fun going shopping with your friends? Sure it takes out the envy and frustration but what about the feeling when you walk into a store and see something GORGEOUS that you need. I would love to live in a fabulous house or stay at a cool hotel but I know those things cost money. And it would make the stay less special knowing it was just a click away and could be changed instantly if I got bored. I am okay with the cooking thing because I am lazy and all I want right now is mac and cheese but that requires work. I do realize this is the exact same thing. A society where everything is given to people as long as they toe the line exactly. I see. Feels empty.
Photobucket
So what jobs do you have?
I was wondering about…well jobs. If everything can be poofed by a computer that cuts out a lot of jobs doesn’t it? No one to sell clothes if you can have a handy dandy notebook…I mean mirror to do that for you. Construction workers must be out of work if everything can be changed to look like anything. Well I guess they could work but designers would be out of the question. When Akane went to eat lunch with her friends there were other jobs and agencies talked about but no specific jobs were mentioned. I am sure things are different but we didn’t see much of that yet. Although they did go to the mall later….anyway just curious on how that all works.
Photobucket
I am wondering why you got this job too...
Akane seems to be an odd duck. I am sure she will be the one to change the system but that will be due to a lot of anime magic. As it stands this Sybil system has been in place for a while and Akane messed up the very first mission. Me thinks that trying hard to do the right thing will beat logic/super powers in the end. But first she has to wonder if she did the right thing. Self doubt makes girls cuter okay?
Photobucket
So um...that was interesting.
While I am happy to learn things about the other characters I didn’t think the first thing I learned about Yayoi was she swims in the lady pond. So subtle indeed folks. Unless that subtleness was all a lie and they were really doing something boring. They being Yayoi and the computer tech? part of the team Shion. I guess even in this age of POOF clothes and POOF walls we still need people to analyze the data. Because if we didn’t computers would take over and I think enough people have gone crazy due to the role of John Conner. I might like Shion because she was like oh you shot Shinya? Get us a pool.
Photobucket
It was a REAL mystery who the baddie was folks.
Akane had a second mission on day two of her job. Now….since I don’t know much about this world yet I would think they would have lots of missions. Everyone else at the agency seemed surprised another case came up. Like they are few and far between. Maybe that was the case in the early days of the system but now everything runs smooth and only a few bad seeds exist? I don’t know. Akane was more like um do I really have to go out with one of you after I shot your “friend”? Or maybe she wanted to stay in the office and do busy work. WOOHOO busy work.
Photobucket
This is part of the job DUH!
Tomomi went on the new mission with Akane pretty calmly. I would have been like gurl….because that is totally how Tomomi talks…gurl you be crazy. Let me show you how it is done. First you put on this mascot outfit…and you find the person sweating and hiding from people. Be in awe of my magical powers of obviousness. I guess Akane really is a newbie because that mystery was easier to solve than the crap they play for Nancy Grace. Murder by the Book? Paint by Numbers? Something like that. Still Tomomi was like look at that sweetie. Now be a good little girl and do nothing because that is your job. To do nothing.
Photobucket
Trying to make up for this comment made earlier...which Akane deserved.
Needless to say Akane and her mascot wearing self was not in the best of moods when Shusei decided he wanted to make nice with her. I didn’t think he was that mean pointing out that she did shoot Shinya on her first hour on the job. She did folks!!!!! Akane came off across kinda annoying in this conversation, in Shusei’s view point. This society is set up to do the thinking for people. Here is your job, think happy thoughts, and everyone goes home happy. Akane goes on and on about her perfect grades and how she wanted to find herself while Shusei has been locked up before he could tie his shoes because of WHAT Ifs.
Photobucket
Perhaps in this society Akane stands out but to 2012 citizens this seems like normal thinking.
It is unfair to judge Akane as naïve. Even if she is. I do think that Shusei has the right to be bitter but Akane has the right to wonder about her life. I am sure there are other people out there in this society that are tired of being sheep. But instead of following the mold given to her Akane wants to know what makes her special. If she was great any everything but so were other people….I can see why she wants to know why she would be good at the CID and no one else. Unless it is because it is a plant and someone hacked the system to get Akane there to destroy said system. But Akane trying to break the mold and not following the sparkling road laid out before her might be refreshing in a world okay with this.
Photobucket
Akane changed you that fast?!
What I have a problem with is that Akane went to visit Shinya…and suddenly he is a different. I mean usually when people get shot they can see the world differently but really folks? Really. A newbie Inspector shot you even though you were in the right and now the world is cupcake and roses. The hostage victim IS doing better but Shinya was going to shot to paralyze. Homegirl got paralyzed anyway. So Akane trying to reach out to her really put her life in danger and Shinya giving Akane credit is bullshit.
Photobucket
That got magical really quick.
What I am trying to say is if Shinya was going to have this coming to the truth moment I wish it happened further along in the series. Not 5 minutes after meeting Akane. Her ideals might lead to the truth but in this situation they would have led to disaster. So Shinya seeing the light and realizing he was blinding following rules and not seeing people for people….yeah. That could have come later. Much later. That kind of mindset needed to be changed but not on the first day. It makes me think that Shinya is a weak character. Or easily swayed.
Photobucket
Wait? WHAT THE HELL?!
Oh I forgot to talk about Shusei being a latent criminal since the age of 5.What the hell folks? Is everyone so content with fake computer screens giving you your heart’s desire they don’t see the flaws in the system? 5 years old? I understand that some criminal behavior is/can be present at a young age so is the greatest chance for change. You can give a child love and attention and curb bad behavior better than giving those things to an adult. To say a child is beyond saving at the age of 5….wow. Aren’t there more people upset with this system? Maybe they are all living in fear but maybe the system should better protect the victims instead of making them into criminals too. So Shusei is insane right? Thought so.


I think that is about it for this episode. Not really liking that Akane can just walk in and change things in less than 24 hours. Yay for change but way too fast. And she thinks she is right now which will lead to more mistakes/problems yes? Well at least Shinya still looks pissed off, probably at why he is labeled a latent criminal. That might be interesting to watch right? Oh and the sweet guns too. XD

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Spoiler for there being more jellyfish.

Anonymous said...

Christina so glad you are watching and blogging this. I'm always lamenting that you usually blog the slice-of-life and more fantasy stuff that I skip, b/c your posts crack me up.

The character design of Akane annoyed me for about ten minutes in Ep.1 (like, why does she looks like she came out of a different series?) but then I got used to her character design and now I like her. This is probably my favorite show this season, which means they will probably screw it up somehow or make the ending unfulfilling. But so far it's really great. Also, I think I saw it was 24 eps?

Congrats on your Disney villian.

--Kate

Anonymous said...

What really got me from this ep is:

“tells you the way of living that will bring you the most happiness,”

Like you said, yea, I agree w/ Shusei, or Kagari, like
'haveing too much choices in your life? Gee how I wish I have your problem!'

I known we have been only introduce to Karanomori, but I like her already. It is kinda a discrimination that she has to worked harder than other physicians just because she is a latent criminal.

Also it is hard to judge Shinya or Kogami, since we do not know what his personnality is, so I don't see the BIG mood change.

I can see so much potential in this show already

Christina said...

Anonymous- Does everyone have a personal jellyfish? While this whole universe is way too high tech for me I could get down with a personal jellyfish doing some things for me like cooking.

Kate- I have no idea why I don't watch more shows like this. Of course my example was going to be that I watch so many things on sci-fi but that is usually for a different reason....

Akane has some weird 5 finger forehead and eyeballs being WAY TOO BIG going on. Big eyes in animes are typical but usually EVERYONE has them or at least all the girls. It is like her hair is scared of her eyes and is attempting to run away.

Anonymous 2- After viewing episode 3 I realize I did judge him too quickly. But you have to admit he was acting like he drank all the Akane KoolAid in the hospital room.

The latent criminal thing is interesting as we saw the hostage has recovered and will be released back into society. Why aren't our lovely Enforcers given the same opportunity? Or once you reach a number there is no going back?

Anonymous said...

so I know this is years later, and I'm only watching the series now...but XD its niggling at me.

Shinya was going to KILL the victim, not paralyse her when akane shot him. She calmed the woman down a bit which lowered her status (crime thingy) and thats why the next guy only paralysed her *nods*

I do wonder about the clothes thing too. Especially if say someone managed to hack it? lol

cheers
-Rose