Friday, May 14, 2010

Angel Beats Episode 7

Fridays are very predictable. I try to put myself in a happy place and think NO today will not suck. I will put on a smile and things will work out. But eventually things go to crap and in the end I want to burn the place I work out down to the ground and dance in the ashes. Maybe me pretending that Fridays will end on a positive note is a predictable thing too.

Photobucket

Angel Beats!. A show about how people had really bad hair in their past lives.

Angel Beats! has yet to be predictable. This is such a positive and happy thing for me. XD Especially given how much I loathe work at the end of the day. I am rewarded with a good anime episode with likeable characters and an original storyline.
Beware of spoilers and giant fish!

This post has been brought to you by light bulbs. Light bulbs. The things that keep exploding in my living room causing me to type in partial darkness.


Photobucket

This show needs more Hinata!

Episode Summary: The SSS members are really, really bored. Now that there is no enemy our gang is busy….not being productive. Naoi and Hinata are having the most fun bonding. Hinata isn’t really keen on making Naoi one of the group so he teases him about the crying. And Naoi is jealous of Hinata’s nonexistent yaoi relationship with Otonashi. Before anyone can confess to Otonashi Yuri pulls Otonashi and Naoi aside. Yuri wants to Naoi to use his hypnotizing powers to make Otonashi remember his past. Naoi gets all in love with Otonashi and Otonashi is worried. But both boys agree to it and onward we go into the land of glowy eyes. Yes my lord.

Photobucket

Sci-fi...I mean Anime tip number 56: If a sick person gets a piggy back ride they will die.

Back when Otonashi was alive he was practically dead. He was a walking ghost, caring nothing about life. The only joy he ever experienced was taking care of his sick sister. He felt guilty that she was stuck in bed and he had the chance to go out and experience life. He works so he can buy her small presents. He realizes that he can have a purpose in life if he can make his sister happy. He works more so he can take his sister out on Christmas and give her a good time. He is so excited and plans an awesome day for her. But when he sneaks her out of the hospital she dies before she can even see the decorated trees. But instead of falling into a complete depression Otonashi devotes his life to becoming a doctor so he can help people like his sister. He dies on a train before taking his university entrance exams.

Photobucket

Someone is super enthused about their new friends!

After remembering his past Otonashi requests some time alone. He thinks that his life was worthless as he never completed his goal. He gets over his sadness quickly and tells Yuri he will still be a part of the SSS. Yuri then decides it is mission time as they have no food paces. But instead of the normal tornado route they go fishing instead. Which is special because they are all…..interesting. Otonashi invites Tenshi along which freaks most of the SSS members out. Otonashi points out that she is no longer the student council president. Yuri allows her and soon Tenshi catches the demon fish in the lake. The SSS members share the catch with the NPC kids and Otonashi is happy that Tenshi is a part of the group. She agrees to spend time with them all just as Yuri crawls up injuried, claiming that Tenshi did it. Behold as another Tenshi is looming over our heroes. The end!

I am not going to stop calling Otonashi Otonashi. Suck it up! I can only learn so many names so it is too late for change. Now get off my lawn!

Photobucket

Aw Otonashi was a sweet older brother!

I am completely shocked that Otonashi’s past was explained. We are in the middle of the series. I truly thought him remembering was going to be part of the event that gets all the kids back to the real world or at the very least reincarnated again. But I was wrong. I am fine with being wrong though as the pace seems great and keeps me on my toes. We as viewers keep asking where the storyline is going after each episode and we always seem to be satisfied.

Photobucket

Don't mind the blurriness. That's just my theory getting blown out of the water.

But….I am a bit bummed about how Otonashi “died”. I am still holding out hope that all these kids are in the hospital and are just waiting to wake up. But Otonashi totally killed my suicide theory. :( I guess Yuri was right in that regards. Bleh. Bitter sweet knowing my theory is wrong. Even though I just said above I am fine with being wrong….

X_X Real life Otonashi was sad. I guess he was supposed to come across as a loser but to me he looked like a lost kid. A normal teenager. Someone who needed a haircut (which he got XD) but a normal person. I am sad that he thought so little of life but I understand how he came to be that kind of person. I think everyone has the potential to be Otonashi. If someone doesn’t reach out to you it is easy to become lost and not care about the world. So I am not going to talk about how annoying Otonashi was or that he was an emo brat. Because he wasn’t.

Otonashi was a complicated person. He didn’t care about life but he felt guilty about not caring. He wanted to take care of his sister so he could have a reason to live. When he finally realized how precious life was he lost his sister. Instead of killing himself/wasting away into nothing Otonashi turned his life around and decided to be a doctor to save other people. That is what makes Otonashi’s death so sad. It might not be as tragic as the other kids but sad all the same.

Photobucket

Please be explaining!

I want to know why Yuri wanted Otonashi to get his memories back. There are two ways to disappear in this world. You can either become a normal student and whoosh away or you can find peace with how your previous life ended. Now…wouldn’t it be safer for Otonashi not knowing his past? That way he won’t remember what he has to get over. He is in no danger of disappearing from being a normal student so what was the point? The other kids remembered on their own time without the need of Naoi so it seems fishy to me.

Photobucket

This is so amazingly cute....


Photobucket

But I enjoyed his crestfallen silly moment too. XD

Speaking of Naoi…..guess I was wrong with that one too. I didn’t think he was going to join the SSS because he wasn’t in the closing song last week (or this week as there was no song…). But if he wasn’t going to disappear then the only logic choice was to have him join the SSS group. Because he has a crush on Otonashi. We are now up to 4 potential Otonashi pairings WOOHOO!

Photobucket

All freaks are welcome!

I was also wrong about how this episode was going to go for Tenshi. I thought for sure that Yuri was going to help Tenshi get her job back to ensure the balance of this world. But alas I was wrong. Which is probably a good thing too. I do think that Otonashi trying to force Tenshi on the group is rather…much but he wants everyone to get along and be lovely.

Photobucket

Where is your shirt?!

I am not really a fan of fishing. Or fish. Catching the monster fish was entertaining. I really enjoyed that everyone was trying to help Tenshi but really she could have done it on her own. But I vote for stealing meal tickets next time.

TK was so weird this episode. Weirder than normal.

Photobucket

The plot thickens!

So before we all went…well NOW what is going to happen this episode answered the question before we even said it. There are two Tenshis. Which probably means I need to stop referring to Tenshi as Tenshi. Not sure where the plot is going on this one but I hope there is more Yuri next episode. XD But I look forward to whatever happens next. This is a happy adventure in the land of confusion.

Photobucket

Okay maybe the answer is a little more obvious than I thought. But next week will still be fun!


2 comments:

Mint said...

Angel Beats' unpredictable-ness is making this an interesting watch. I was pretty surprised to see Otonashi's past explained, as well! And it does raise some more questions and theories, now that the suicide one probably won't work. The jumps between tragic pasts and screwball comedy are quite something to look forward to each week ;D

Christina said...

Mint- This show is definitely not going to way I expected it to. I really thought Otonashi would be saved for last and his memories would help get everyone out of...wherever we are. Darn him ruining my theories! XD

It is a bit of a roller coaster trying to keep up with the happy and sad moments. But without the happy moments things would be downright depressing. X_X Makes my life seem much happier.