Friday, May 7, 2010

Angel Beats Episode 6


Photobucket

My high school was not like this at all. Then again we were all alive...

Angel Beats!? On my Friday? How can this be? How did Angel Beats! know that I needed a pick me up today? I mean…I did have every intention of coming home and blogging about Hakuouki Shinsengumi Kitan. I know the further I get behind the more likely that I will never do it. I know myself well.

But….Angel Beats! was blogged with enough time left over on Friday for me to blog about it! Truly this is a sign right people? That way I don’t have to rush around Saturday before work (because I like sleep) and I can enjoy every moment of this
awesome series. Jesus loves me today.

Plus I think we all know I really am putting off blogging about Hakuouki Shinsengumi Kitan. Go me.

This post was brought to you by babies. Babies. The tiny creatures you shouldn’t leave in your car for 40 minutes while you eat pizza. Thanks stupid customers.


Photobucket

Shirts are overrated anyway.

Episode Summary: The SSS members are realized from the reflection room and everyone is a bit on edge. The group walks around and tries to analyze the situation. Yuri believes that even though the other students are NPCs Tenshi was keeping them from reacting too harshly to the SSS members being insane. Without Tenshi Naoi is able to push the way people treat the SSS. Yuri decides that the next course of action is to mess around school to see how Naoi will really react to them. Most of the SSS do really tame things to get in trouble. Eventually Naoi comes around and all the SSS members flee (the teacher really never tries to stop the SSS members from horsing around). Otonashi gets a little frustrated over these nonsensical missions. He sees Tenshi studying in a classroom and invites her to lunch. She doesn’t want to go but can’t resist her favorite food. As she and Otonashi share a meal Naoi stomps up and “arrests” them for breaking a rule. They are placed in a one person jail cell where Otonashi freaks out and Tenshi falls asleep.

Photobucket

This is a very practical weapon yes it is.

Earlier in the episode Otonashi received a walkie talkie from Yuri. She finally manages to contact Otonashi. She explains that they tried to battle Naoi but he used the NPC kids as shields. The SSS members refused to fight so they are slowly dying one by one. It is also revealed that Naoi is human and he is able to stay in school because he beats up kids after school. Yuri knows that Otonashi is with Tenshi and that she can stop Naoi. Tenshi tries breaking down the door after Otonashi begs her but her weapon is weak as it was created for protection purposes. Otonashi realizes that Tenshi is not the enemy and that she must have suffered when she lost her friends every time they accepted this world. But we don’t have time for tears and slowly Otonashi thinks of a way to escape the cell. They make it outside and it is blood bath city. Insert random Hinata and Otonashi moment. Otonashi saves Yuri from disappearing as Naoi was replacing her past with false memories.

Photobucket

Wait for it....

Naoi starts in with the crazy talking saying that he is god and he is trying to help people move on. Otonashi beats Naoi a little, saying that all the hard memories of their past lives were real and they can’t be erased so easily. Naoi then reveals his sad past. He and his twin were born to a famous potter. His older brother was skilled in making pots but died after they both fell from a tree. The abusive father forced Naoi to become the skilled twin thus killing “Naoi”. Naoi was never as good as his brother but tried to please his father. But soon his father fell ill and Naoi was never taught to be a great potter making his life useless in the end. Otonashi starts crying and holds Naoi saying that Naoi is important and here with him now.
That touches Naoi and he cries in Otonashi’s arms. The end.

Photobucket

And I'm happy. Despite the blood. And death. Yeah I'm happy.

So this episode didn’t quite go the way I thought it was going to. There was a battle but…yeah not how I pictured it. Which isn’t a bad thing per say. I probably should have known that we were going to see Naoi’s sad past. But things going a different way than I expected is okay. Mainly because the episode was good. Had it been bad I would have been sad that things didn’t go the way I thought it should have.

I think there was a bit too much of this spicy food thing. I know that Otonashi was trying to connect to Tenshi and this makes her seem more human but meh. All I kept thinking was “this is going to PISS Yuri off”. This might be Angel Beats! version of a love triangle. I will just live in my own little world where the other love interest is Hinata.

Photobucket

Give up Otonashi. You will never understand girls.

Since I didn’t make my point at all in that last paragraph I shall try again. Tenshi is now an ordinary student. Yuri did not order Otonashi to follow her and her make her student council president again. Otonashi was talking to her out of the kindness of his own heart. He is able to see Tenshi as more than just the enemy. Since he hasn’t been in this world long he hasn’t been “brainwashed” by Yuri into thinking blowing up/pissing off Tenshi he is able to care about her favorite foods.

Photobucket

So now I am really starting to feel bad for her...

Otonashi is a very smart man. That or a very compassionate one. He was able to put together how one can leave this world and now he has realized why Tenshi is the way she is. Now she might have been a quiet person while she was alive (if she is human) but being in this world has made her even more isolated. When she first got there (be it as the protector of the world or a dead kid) she tried to fit in and make friends. But that would just speed along their process of finding peace. Which if that is why Tenshi is in that world it’s a good thing. But a bitter sweet thing. So Tenshi has (probably) decided that she will do her job and not make any more attachments.

Photobucket

L'll take a potato chip ......and eat it!

All of that is very sad and full of angst. But I still laughed when all the SSS members decided that they were going to “be bad” in class. My definition of bad is apparently different than theirs. Of course Yuri only said to do what they wanted to do. But I think I would have gone out a little more than sleeping on someone else’s desk. I think we all should be happy everyone was wearing a shirt.

Photobucket

Congrads! You suck!

Naoi beating up people after school was a little uncalled for. I am a bit sad that it seems that most of these students really are NPCs. I thought that maybe they were “real” people that would one day disappear soon. I don’t like them being so…..robotic. But in any event beating up on something/someone who resembles a human is creepy. There must have been something else he could have done to keep his connection to this world but that might require not being a creepy and bitter person.

Yuri has a really calm way of talking. When she was explaining to Otonashi how bad the situation was outside she wasn’t acting that scared. I mean, she was but she is leader enough to push through the pain and take command of the situation. She also didn’t get mad when Otonashi was with the enemy. Although she might have done better had she tried to get Tenshi back in power before the battle….Still Yuri is a great leader. She breaks away from Haruhi in that way as Haruhi just has ideas and no real way to follow through on them.

Photobucket

These are some really unlucky kids....

I guess we can talk about Naoi’s sad past now. Which would be sadder had he actually cared about his twin. If he had boohooed and sobbed while being forced to take on his dead brother’s life I would feel bad for Naoi. But for now I am in a state of meh. Yeah it sucked. Really really sucked. The part where the brother died was upsetting. The part where his father forced him to be his dead brother was disgusting. The part where he was forced to take care of his asshole father was just cruel. This back story is worse than not catching a fly ball or having parents who yell.

However Naoi is not a good person now. The other three (whose past we have seen) are. Therefore I feel bad for them that their lives were crappy. I do not feel bad for those who have crappy lives and then decide to take their pain out on other people. Like…you suffered because other people were crappy to you. Why would you turn around and make someone else miserable? Just meh.

I would be more understanding of Naoi’s plan (to make everyone come to terms with their lives) had he not been psycho. And forcing them to leave by planting false memories in their mind. Most gods let their minions/followers make their own decisions.

Photobucket

Too nice for his own good.

Otonashi really touched me in a Tomoya (Clannad) way this episode. He was able to forgive Naoi for killing all his friends and beating up on people. He was able to hug the man who was cruel to numerous people the same way he hugged his friend Hinata. I would have given him a harder time but that’s me. Otonashi will be the one to save everyone because he has a kind heart. Makes me want to know how he died even more now.

Photobucket

He was a jerk....but I am glad he found peace. Maybe.

We are not sure if Naoi disappeared or not after hearing the words he needed to hear. I am happy that his father did offer up SOME encouragement in his young life. But…I am not sure how I would feel about Naoi getting a happy ending before making things right with the people he hurt. I didn’t see him in the ending credits so as of now he isn’t joining our heroes. It does set the stage for Tenshi to regain her position next week and for Yuri to continue her half hearted attempt to make Tenshi’s life miserable. We shall see.

I do want to know why everyone dying was a big deal…..since they (might) be dead already…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that rather detailed synopsis, gave me a bit more info about a rather confusing episode. I found it weird that it turned into WW2, and odd that he had hynopsis powers.

...

Christina said...

Markavian- Angel Beats tends to jump around a lot. I thought Tenshi was going to be the main "baddie" for most of the series so it was weird to have them embrace her so quickly. Then bam a new "baddie" who is just a sad kid. Probably would have been a stronger series had they stuck with one thing and not included every single idea in the history of forever.