Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Kobato Episode 18


Photobucket

DOWN WITH WINTER!

I have spent my days off sick in bed with tissues and soup as my only comfort. Well and that piece of chocolate I tried to eat to wash down the taste of nasty tasty medicine. Note to all: DO NOT EAT CHOCOLATE TO WASH DOWN MEDICINE! Bad idea was very bad.

Despite the fact that I have been trying to baby this cold so I would be well enough for work today…that was a no go. Even if it was just a few sniffles and coughs and not the headache that left me dizzy and the uncontrollable urge to blow my nose every five seconds I decided since I work with FOOD perhaps sucking it up and going to work would be a bad idea. I might have been able to man up the few hours at work but I rather get completely well and not overwork myself. Oh and not cough all over people’s pizza!

So in-between sleeping and making more chicken noodle soup it was an anime kind of day. Kobato isn’t the kind of anime that requires some awesome deep soul searching and brain power to watch. And really, there are enough brain exploding animes out there that I can appreciate the simple nature of Kobato (at least for now as the secrets are still under lock and key). Also one can only watch so much snow and people in tight suits before they long for cute anime outfits.





Photobucket

WE ARE NEVER UNNECESSARY!

That all being said…..this episode was slightly unnecessary. By slightly I mean entirely unnecessary. While I usually cheer on manga related plot points this one came a little too late and the impact of the sick loan shark was completely lost as Kobato has cried over someone else. You get no tears sick loan shark.

Photobucket

Before he falls over sick loan shark red shirt man utters something important!

See my anime only watchers, when Sayaka got sick from overworking/exhaustion/worrying Kobato cried over her and told Fujimoto that people often die from small things. In the manga this loan shark was the small issue, what with him and his appendicitis. Kobato cried over this piece of trash which made her golden heart shine much more brightly. It is easy to feel sorry for your friends when they get sick but to feel bad for a jerk intimidating away your kids is another. Kobato loves all even when they don’t deserve it. So that is why Kobato crying that someone can die over a small issue is more powerful in the manga than the anime.

Photobucket

People die over small issues MOG!

So that is why this episode almost…doesn’t make sense to me. Not only is it incredibly fillery but the issue was already covered with Sayaka being sick. I mean, they could have Mr. Loan Shark standing in front of the school acting all intimidating but they could have skipped his illness and added some other plot point in there. It was unnecessary and just ate up minutes. :(

Photobucket

I'm actually here to save you but lets just pretend I am the bad guy.

So while this episode was kinda fail with the appendicitis and Loan Shark it did do a good job of driving home how evil Okiura is. Or maybe how kind he is. He sends over one of his loan shark minions to scare away the parents and make them withdrawal their youngins. Evil yes. But could Okiura be trying to minimizing the amount of people who are getting caught in the crossfire? He wants people to leave the nursery so Sayaka can close down the school before his father, THE REAL BAD GUY, can do any real damage.

Photobucket

Oh no people are STANDING outside! Time to flee for our lives!

But seriously though…..mothers getting all weirded out that someone is standing out in front of a school? Japanese mothers worry too much. It’s not like he was naked or screaming or anything.

Photobucket

Make your move Domoto!

This episode also does a good job in doing what I think it should have done a long time ago! Bring on jealous Fujimoto. Oh yes Domoto has finally made his move. I guess they were just laying the ground work so Domoto asking out Kobato didn’t come out of left field. Not that Kobato got what was going on ANYWAY (aka Sakura…or Sakura) but the point is to make Fujimoto jealous, not to make Kobato confused. Hopefully next episode there is a conversation between Domoto and Fujimoto where Domoto says that he waited for Fujimoto make his move but since he wasn’t Domoto has decided to take Kobato for himself. Minus that creepiness with the word take of course. This might be dreaming on my part since Domoto isn’t the mean type and Fujimoto is good at hiding his emotions but I can DREAM OKAY! So if this episode only existed to make that this scenario a possibility I approve.

Photobucket

A showdown for Kobato's love!

At this point I like Domoto over Fujimoto. I shall cheer for the underdog that has no chance of winning. If this were to happen in real life even a person as clueless as Kobato would go OKAY I shall go with the person who actually pays attention to me and is nice rather than the aloof and jerky boy who makes my life miserable. But this is anime which means the semi mean guy wins. Because girls like a bad boy!

Photobucket

In other news.....

I think it is safe to say that manga related episodes are over with. Or close to being over with. The manga chapters come out as slow as mud and the artist had to start on this show at the very least Spring of 2009. So I probably should stop whining about how things are going exactly as planned and watch how they decide to end Kobato as manga Kobato isn’t anywhere close to being finished. At least anime Kobato is collecting CANDY at a reasonable rate. XD

Photobucket

Candy can wait! Time for love!

Next week I shall not complain when everything seems fillery because Kobato’s love life seems necessary to me. Her…..realization won’t happen the same way as it did in the manga but that’s fine. I like Christmas! So I look forward to seeing how they make Fujimoto seem less like a jerk and a more acceptable boyfriend for Kobato. Also I will have tissues on hand for when Domoto loses. If I have any left that is….

Photobucket

I'm sorry you lose. :( I was rooting for you!




1 comment:

Orulyon said...

i actually love Domoto, so i feel very bad for him, because obviously Kobato loves Fujimoto T.T
Poor Domoto, i love himmmmmmm.