Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Kobato Episode 16

I don’t think I could have imagined a more perfect Kobato episode. Well aside from the last one where her wish is revealed and everything is explained and the audience goes NOW I get it. Other than that this episode was wonderful.

Photobucket

No really, thank you.

So if I do incoherent squealing and yaying for no good reason (or more than usual) please don’t mind me. I invite you to join me in the crazy corner, we have cookies!

Under the link lies spoilers, speculation, and surprise. Surprise this stuff even become an episode. XD You have been warned.




I think I have been doing a good job on the whole not talking about not talking about Kobato manga information until it is mentioned in the anime. I am not perfect but I think I have done a decent job. So when the bazaar manga chapter was seemingly passed upon there was a lot of pouting in the house of Tenchi. Or maybe it just seemed like those manga chapters happened forever ago given how long it takes the chapters to come out. It felt earlier to me anyway but looking back now this issue happened in volume three so it wasn’t forever ago.

In any event I have decided that I deserve a gold star for not mentioning how sad I was that there was no bazaar. So now that it has come WOOT for the bazaar!

Photobucket

Kobato has oodles of sympathy for people.

I guess the reason that the bazaar wasn’t mentioned was they were waiting until after the Sayaka fainting incident. They were really playing up the fact that the debt has taken its toll on Sayaka and this is all stressful and serious business. Kobato doesn’t catch on fast to most things so she needed something serious to happen for her to remember the loan shark incident and how people sometimes suck.

Photobucket

No not bizarre silly.

In any event Kobato remembers that she is here to help out the nursery and part of that is fixing the problem with the loan sharkness. Since Kobato isn’t the scariest person on the planet she can’t go the bully route so she has to go the paying off the debt road. After getting….the entire idea from the land lady and her nonrobot kids Kobato decides they can raise the money by throwing a bazaar HURRAY!

Photobucket

My name is Kobato and I have a great idea!

Kobato being Kobato she can’t wait to run this idea by Sayaka. By run I mean she announces that this is what she has to do and this is the best idea ever. Keep on being that positive person Kobato.

Photobucket

My name is Fujimoto and I have gone too far this time...

Fujimoto being Fujimoto decides that this idea might not be the most profitable and might be a waste of time. By decides I mean that Fujimoto stomps on Kobato’s tiny fragile heart and tells her she sucks at life and she needs to stop suggesting stupid things. Never change Fujimoto.

Photobucket

My name is Sayaka and I like to make excuses for people.

Sayaka being Sayaka tells Fujimoto he needs to stop sucking all the fun out of life and to stop putting Kobato down or her will grow up alone and bitter. By tells I mean she smiles and passes off Fujimoto’s harsh words as him really caring about Kobato and that he is not good at expressing himself. Go easy on the sugar there Sayaka.

Photobucket

They are happy tears.

After Kobato runs out all upset and acts like everything is her fault Ioryogi is the one to say comforting words to her. In a way Ioryogi is like Fujimoto in that he is always teasing Kobato and blasting her down a peg or two. But in Ioryogi is a plushie and I like plushies so I like him more. Not that Kobato needs comforting since Sayaka has decided to have a bazaar is an excellent idea despite just telling Fujimoto this plan is made of fail. I get wanting to make Kobato happy but Sayaka has to be realistic. Oh wait…

Photobucket

It is amazing Kobato don't worry!

My favorite scene of course is the Mysterious Life-forms. Of course it involves Fujimoto being mean to Kobato again…but I see this teasing as just that, teasing. Not him trying to be explain something in a mean way or totally killing her self esteem. Just some silly teasing. Because those were some special drawings. I like them don’t get me wrong. But they were….mysterious.

Photobucket

Probably could have picked a more serious pic.

Sayaka makes a little slip up as she is describing Fujimoto. She mentions that Fujimoto is like someone else which makes the question marks go off in Kobato’s head. Kobato also proves to have a good memory as she recalls that Sayaka has mentioned her husband before. Slowly this plot is coming together people!

Photobucket

Of course Kobato freaking out is cuter still....

Then we go into the kids. Bleh I know. An anime about a nursery talking about kids CRAZY TALK. Some random kid makes some random stupid item to keep the rain away. Do not care and also girl sounds like a dude. I thought it was cuter when Kobato was running around town hanging up posters at past friend of the week stops. XD

Photobucket

Almost a sexy vampire?

As Kobato leaves work she runs into *insert scary music here* the loan shark. Since we all know who he is I shall just use his name. Okiura is waiting in the shadows so his creepy factor can go up 67 percent. Does anyone else think that Okiura looks like Kamui? If Kamui was older and more cocky than cynical? Well in any event Okiura has very brief words with Kobato. The usual I am closing down the nursery, tell Sayaka that I am a major butthead, and that you all better leave before I do something really bad. Kobato handles this well considering she flips out often and this situation actually warrants some flipping out. Then Okiura returns to the shadows because he is just that awesome.

Photobucket

-_- Thanks for using your size to scare a young woman. Go Fujimoto.

Now the only weak part of the episode for me is when Fujimoto confronts Kobato after finding out that she has had contact with Okiura. In the magna the scene was a lot more powerful and it made sense. In the anime it was too brief, the music was off, and there wasn’t enough build up to the let’s show Kobato how much of a man I am by pushing her against a wall. Let’s not do that again okay Fujimoto or I will shove you down some stairs. I hate violence.

Photobucket

Kobato is a super detective!

Kobato, my dear Kobato, finally puts two and two together and realizes that Okiura is Sayaka’s husband. Maybe that is a little too much to ask since we the manga readers have known that for months (a year?) and Kobato…..is Kobato. But now she does get it and realizes the situation is twice as sad that Sayaka is getting shaken down by her husband.

Photobucket

I would definitely buy them!

The best way Kobato can combat the situation is to make penguin plushies. Of bunnies. Or lumps of nothing. Kobato is just that awesome so roll with it.

Photobucket

Poor Kobato always blaming herself....
So it is the day of the bazaar. And despite that random kind making those sunshine ghost things it starts to sprinkle. Still the kids set up their junk and food and wait. And wait. And wait. NO ONE SHOWS UP. Not even the kids’ moms. Hello ladies, you could have just gone across the street to read a magazine and come back a few minutes later. You all suck. Kobato starts feeling bad about causing the situation, Fujimoto does his best to not do the I told you so dance, and the kids are sad. Sayaka is off in dream that it will all work out.

Photobucket

Don't run after her and help her or anything....

It comes to everyone’s attention that Okiura has torn down all the flyers for the bazaar and that is why no one is showing up. Of course this makes no sense because Okiura wants his money right? Why would he stop Sayaka from trying to pay off her debt? HMMM people that must mean he really is trying to protect Sayaka from something horrible and he is actually a good guy. No one is a bad guy in CLAMP YAY!

Photobucket

Woot for people not looking so creepy now...

So while everyone decides that the bazaar is fail Kobato doesn’t give up. Even after Fujimoto grabs her and tells her not to go. She runs off to the busier parts of town and manages to round up every single friend of the week. Some normal people end up at the bazaar too. The kids are happy, Sayaka smiles I told you so to the crowd, and Fujimoto is in awe of Kobato’s awesomeness.

Photobucket

Does anyone else hear that sad music?

So as you can see with my many words and lovely pictures….this episode was awesome. It had a little bit of everything. Manga plot that I thought was forgot, Fujimoto showing his mean/nice side, Kobato saving the day in her own special way, and no filler friends. Add in the fact that Ioryogi has gone off to do more plot related stuff and Tenchi is a very happy blogger! I love this episode so very much and shall snuggle it and keep it and call it perfect.

Keep up this perfect next week writers. I know you can do it!




No comments: