Sunday, October 4, 2009

New Anime Series! To Aru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 1

Welcome to the new fall anime season! I have watched exactly….ONE episode of this new season. XD Unlike some people who seem to be watching everything I will just be a lazy bum and slowly work my way into this season. Go me.

You might notice there are two new shiny banners on my blog. XD My best friend Jamie spent her weekend making me tons of new banners because she loves me that much. Seriously this girl has helped me with all the coding for my blog. Now I will have rotating banners just like everyone else does. XD I would be lost without her. She made these cute Halloween banners and a TON of Kobato ones for November. Thank you Jamie for being awesome.

So yay for new banners and yay for the new anime season. Time for my first new anime of the season. Click for not so spoily spoilers!





Photobucket

We're baaaaaaaaaack.

Well that was a lot different than what I was expecting. Which is pretty silly because I went into this reminding myself that there would be no Touma, Index, or mages running around. Still I must have set myself up for something else and now I feel a bit weird about the episode.

Photobucket

Surly you can't be the biggest problem in the series....

That being said things might pick up in the next episode. There wasn’t any bad guy or clear plot path in this episode but not all shows come out of the gate swinging. Some shows like to actually introduce their characters in non life and death ways and then bring on the real plot later. Which looks like it will be about Misaka getting cloned into all the sisters. This side story isn’t so much a side story as much as it is a prequel. Or at least I think it is a prequel. But since I am still confused on whether or not Touma and Misaka were in high school in To Aru Majutsu no Index don’t quote me on if this is a prequel or not. XD

At the end of the day though the pace was different. I know I am going to miss Touma. He really made the show and it is hard to see Misaka as a main character. Maybe it will turn out that I am wrong and both series are running alongside each other and we will see Touma from time to time. It would explain why Misaka would disappear from the main plot. But deep down I really don’t think that the cloning issue has happened yet which would make this a prequel. Again I am getting ahead of myself with theories since this is the very first episode.

Photobucket

You better shape up hoodlum. GET OFF MY LAWN!

So let’s talk about the things that did happen. There are quite a few punks in this self proclaimed city of the future. With 80 percent of the population students I wonder why Misaka and company always seem to run into the few bad seeds this city has. But this is an anime so the main characters have to run into trouble okay? Besides Academy City is spending too much on the newest technology. They can’t afford cops.

Photobucket

The truth comes out: Misaka loves frogs.

Misaka is the main character. Duh. She seems to lack a bit of the snark that she had in the original series but that could be because the cloning process hasn’t started yet. She would be a little more carefree if the Accelerator wasn’t on her butt and she didn’t feel responsible for 10k dead clones. But she still goes around and kicks soda machines and handles Kuroko in the same manner. Not sure if she can carry the show in the same manner as Touma did and I don’t think we have any epic speeches coming our way. But Misaka is still fun.

Photobucket

I remember that I hate you...

Kuroko is not as fun. More like annoying. She is almost like the stereotypical pervert boy only she is a girl. I don’t find it cute that she grabbed Misaka’s bare breast and no one would cheer her on if she was a guy. Just meh. She is enjoyable when she has her serious moments when she is in Judgment mode but she slips so easily between that and MOG I love Misaka mode. Perhaps if she wasn’t so forced in her love I wouldn’t be as eye rolling. But she is and I am.

Photobucket

I think her head is sparkling...

Uiharu is ten kinds of special. I am sure if I could look past the random flower arrangement on her head she would be more enjoyable. She starts off annoying with her fangirl over Misaka but once she spends a little time with her idol she realizes Misaka it totally different than what she was expecting. On the one hand I can get all -___- over the fact she was putting Misaka up on a pedestal without even taking into consideration that she could be a normal girl. But then I realize that Misaka is a super star in their town and once Uiharu got to know Misaka she changed her views. And it wasn’t all OH my super star fails at being super WOE is me. It was more of a OH she more down to Earth than I thought maybe we can be friends. For now Uiharu passes. But I still hate that thing on her head.

Photobucket

We must be super fans!!!!

Saten is probably my favorite character now. She has no powers and she is worse off than Touma. XD I didn’t think that was possible but it is. She is a bit passionate about things (such as getting rare promotional items) which I think is super cute. But she was able to put aside her plans for the day to go off with Uiharu and meet Misaka. Saten also had some ideas on who Misaka might be as a person but like Uiharu she was able to see Misaka as more than just the number one person in Academy City.

Photobucket

Sure you can have it crazy person.......

I actually think Saten was the funniest person in the entire episode. When Misaka nearly had a mental breakdown for not getting her own promotional item at the crepe store Saten gives her the ugly cute frog. I think she sees Misaka for who she really is the most and I think that is why Misaka felt very close to her at the end of the episode. That and Saten impressed Misaka with her willingness to protect that kid despite having no powers. XD Maybe that is why Misaka likes Touma so much. She is attracted to people who do stupid things for good reasons.

Photobucket

This looks vaguely familiar...

The opening song (at least I think it was the opening song that was played at the end of the episode…) was just okay. Whether or not it is the opening song or closing song it doesn’t really compare to the two opening songs in the To Aru Majutsu no Index series. I do like the Touma cameo as well as the small scene with the AntiSkills members we saw last season. Maybe the song will grow on me but I prefer the other ones at this point.

As I stated before there wasn’t very much in terms of plot. The girls were just going through a “normal” day. Well maybe not so normal as Kuroko had to battle two sets of random punks but meh. That is normal for them. We all got to see Misaka handle both sets of punks each time even though she is not a member of Judgment. She should be given she is the strongest but she has enough pressure on her as it is. Other than the baddies it was just a lot of Kuroko loving on Misaka and Saten wondering how she knows all these crazy people.

So that’s it for now. I am sure when episode 2 rolls around there will be a better feel on where the plot is heading. But for now those people who liked To Aru Majutsu no Index should give To Aru Kagaku no Railgun a chance. The characters are similar and so is the overall feeling. I look forward to next week so I can get a better vibe on this new show.




4 comments:

Blacksun88 said...

"She is attracted to people who do stupid things for good reasons. " lol!! really like your line here. and i think both series (index and railgun) tend to show epic badass normal. and i agreed i liked saten personality (a bit perverted yet strong at time). looking forward for more from this series ^^

Christina said...

Blacksun88- XD I'm glad you liked that line. Touma and Saten had a lot in common. In terms of powers they couldn't do much but they ran out in the face of danger to protect people.

I wish Saten got more screen time but she is my favorite character. I can't wait for her to shine when/if this gets a second season. XD I hope you enjoy the rest of the series.

Anonymous said...

make moar naoo D:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElM86BCsQJk

Christina said...

Anonymous- I find this video hilarious because recently my husband has become obsessed with this game. XD