Thursday, October 22, 2009

Convention Memories: The good, the hilarious, and the stupid

Despite AWA being over for a month now I am still suffering from post con depression. Perhaps if work wasn’t so…….SPECIAL I wouldn’t have to dream about running back to those four wonderful days without work. But it is and I am. Woe is me.

Photobucket

Reporting for cheer up duty!

In an attempt to bring some anime convention fun back into my life I have decided to sit down and write down some of my funny convention moments. Just thinking back to random/crazy times is enough to put a smile on my face. Plus memories are free!

So come join me in my magical walk down memory lane. Personally I find it fun to read people’s convention experiences. I can either laugh at their fun moments and sympathize with their WTF moments. But I will try to keep the WTF moments to a minimum as this is supposed to be a lift Tenchi up post. That and funny stories are more amusing that sad MOG rage stories.





-Seeing the hotel from the highway but not knowing how to get from the main streets to the hotel. This has happened at multiple conventions to multiple people who all had maps!

-The fire that wasn’t at one AFO. It was a smoke machine that set it off. The fire was not the funny part. It was when we found out the safety measures the Wyndham has in place in case of a fire: they seal off the fire affected portion of the hotel with a metal gate. It was funny at the time and really funny now but yeah…that is so dangerous. But no one was hurt and everyone ended up outside in front of the hotel with the main street all staring at us and the entire crew from Rainbow Bright.

-I know I just said this one recently but the missing sandwich at AWA. Someone on our floor ordered room service as we saw the dirty room service tray outside their room. It had three uneaten sandwiches on it. I went up to the room twice and both times the sandwiches were still on the tray. Hours later I went up to the room a third time and the tray was there but not the sandwiches.

-Scraping Green Tea Pocky on my sleeping friend’s teeth. That stuff is nasty. We bought it because we thought it was mint. It wasn’t. Me and another friend took a huge bite of not mint pocky. Other friend laughed. Thus her teeth got scrapped and she woke up to the most awful taste in her mouth. Sleep with one eye open at conventions. Or maybe this is why people don’t sleep at conventions….

-At one convention we were near the ice machine AND the elevator. Such fail. In the middle of the night we heard a lot of banging and people screaming. Being the awesome mature 18/19 year olds we were we started banging back on the wall and screaming “stop having sex!!!!”. This went on for quite a while and we were amused. The next morning we found out that there were people trapped between floors on the elevator. And they were calling for help. So we were screaming at people trapped in an elevator. We are awesome. Or scum bags.

-When we went to one of very first conventions we decided to play it safe (or dorky) and bought walkie talkies. This in theory sounded like a cool idea. Until I went to use the walkie talkie in my group and I could hear myself….in my friend’s bag that I offered to carry back to the hotel. Did I mention we are awesome?

-One of my friends has a birthday that usually falls on AFO. This year I decided we needed cake to celebrate her birthday. It could be said I was more excited for cake than the birthday girl. So we set off in our search and it is decided that we would go right. Because going left would be the end of the world (which might not be an exaggeration if you have knowledge of Orlando traffic). We went EVERYWHERE looking for a store looking for some damn cake. It got to the point where I was going to just go across the street to the big McDonalds and put candles in some ice cream. We head back to the hotel (never turning left as it was a big loop) and right next to our hotel…was a grocery. The entire time the cake was right there….

-Kids. Drinking alcohol underage is BAD. If you are going to do so, do it in a place that is like 10 minutes away from your parents they can take care of you when things inevitable go really wrong. That being said…I had my very first taste of vodka at an anime convention. From a stranger. And afterwards I could see through walls. Sure it was only one sip but still. WALLS PEOPLE!

-When you room with 9 people (ah to be young again) there is barely room to stand let alone privacy. I felt the urge to change my clothes one day but someone was in the shower and I was feeling impatient. I decided to go change in the closet. No jokes people! So I get my clothes, go in the closet, and start undressing. Until I step on a hand. A human hand. On the floor of the closet. There was a male friend in the room at the time. The expression on his face when I came flying out of the closet and screaming bloody murder was probably priceless. I say probably as I was busy LOSING MY MIND. Turns out it was the 9th person who had come late to the con and was sleeping in the only available space…which was the closet. So the lesson you shall take away from this story is every inch of convention space is occupied by someone. Always.

-At our very first anime convention my then crush..I mean male friend couldn’t attend. That and my best friend’s dad was footing the bill so I could see him not wanting to bring along a teenage guy that might left unattended with three teenage girls. So we were in a suite with the dad in one room, a living room/kitchen area, and then our room. We had two beds. I had a bright idea to push the beds together and claim the crack. Later that night we pretended that our friend (my now husband) was hiding in the closet. We had a conversation with closet friend about tons of inappropriate topics like how he wanted us to strip for him and how there was weird stuff all over his hands (keep in mind we were 16//17 thus this immature behavior makes a bit more sense). Anyway we talked about tons of “naughty stuff”. Comes to find out that my friend’s dad shared the vent with our room. And heard every single damn sentence.

There are no words to describe my shame. No words.

-During on Jacon my friends decided they wanted to sleep. Silly them. I on the other hand was taking joy on saying random things to keep them on their toes. But suddenly something random I said turned into a semi serious conversation. “What was Adam thinking when he was naming animals? Cat, dog…..chinchilla? Seriously what was he on? Was he just trying to make fun of the poor chinchillas? And platypus? Yeah God was probably regretting his decision to let Adam pick the names. And instead of ignoring my random thoughts all of my friends decided to participate in this fun conversation at three in the morning. That is the time of day when great thoughts flow freely.

-Don’t sit on the furniture! Yes that was screamed at us by a zealous hotel worker. We were minding our business at AFO, trying to take up as little space as possible. We were sitting under the fake fireplace like thingy thing. The thing is made of wood. Granted it is not built to be sat on but it isn’t some glass structure. Home girl comes by and told us to NOT sit on the furniture and GLARED. Like mom glaring. We dramatically moved two inches so we were no longer sitting on the structure. And when home girl left we got right back on the furniture. It probably wouldn’t have been so funny if she hadn’t used the word furniture. Because furniture is made for sitting on. This year at AFO we saw some young attendees sitting on the same structure. Hopefully they made it out alive.

-Take your meds. Or else you might be swinging around a Hiraikotsu in the hotel room. While your friends were sleeping. Or were. XD But looking back now that scene was rather funny. Surprising but funny.

These are just a few of my convention memories. I see I mostly focused on the non anime aspects of conventions which is weird. But that just goes to show you a convention is only as fun as you make it. So never go to a convention alone. You will be missing out on the best part of the convention: having a great time with your fellow anime friends. XD