Monday, October 12, 2009

You are never too old for Hello Kitty

If one more person tells me I am too old for Hello Kitty I am going to drop kick them and or throw the nearest object at their heads.

Photobucket

You can start worrying about me when my house looks like this.

If they are not a customer of course. If they are I'll smile and hold their pizza slightly crocked so their toppings slide around a bit.

But for everyone else you are getting the stink eye and an insult back.



The very first thing I owned that was Hello Kitty was a coloring book. My father was in the Navy and would often go on long tours. On one of his tours he brought me back a Hello Kitty coloring book when I was about 6 years old. That was the first glimpse I got of her cuteness.

For most of my childhood I didn't see a lot of Hello Kitty. I was limited to the places where my parents would shop and most of the time that did not include her kittiness. I do remember a mall pretty far away from my house (or at least I thought so at the time) that had an entire store FULL of Hello Kitty. But I was about 7 and my disposal income at the time was $0. That store has since closed down and that makes me heart a little sad.

The next time I came across a large amount of Hello Kitty was at Bush Gardens. When we would go to theme parks we were only allowed to go to the souvenir shops as we were leaving. We went to one shop near the exist and it was one of those shops that had different rooms for different themes. I walked into a room...and it was all Sanrio. It was heaven. My family wanted to move along to the more Bush Garden type rooms so I didn't have much time in heaven. But I did get to go crazy and buy up the store. Also important to note that my idea of buying up the store at that age was spending 20 dollars. Anyone who is into Sanrio knows that 20 bucks won't get you far. XD But I had fun.

Photobucket

So much cuteness so little time....

It wasn't until junior high/high school that stores started carrying more and more Hello Kitty. That and I was allowed to venture around stores more and my friend and I were dropped off at the mall by ourselves. Target, Hop Topic, and Claire's often had the most Sanrio merchandise and usually still do.

Now that I am in my mid 20's I have Sanrio all over the place in my house. I am married to a great guy who not only tolerates my love of Hello Kitty but buys it for me often and points out her products when we go out. I can attend anime conventions where Hello Kitty is splashed everywhere and I work at a place where I can wear Hello Kitty everyday. I can buy all the Hello Kitty stuff I want and not listen to my mother complain about growing up. Well, she still says that but at the end of the night I drive on home to my Hello Kitty house and ignore her.

So the point of my little rant is...No people, I am not too old for Hello Kitty. If anything I am finally old enough to AFFORD Hello Kitty. Sanrio stuff is expensive! Anyone who says Sanrio is for kids needs to check the price tags of some of the Sanrio merchandise and get a dose of reality.

Not to mention saying something like that is just rude. Especially coming from someone who kept me waiting while they finished up something on WOW. And said person was wearing a Transformers shirt. If you are going to insult someone's hobby for being childish make sure your hobby isn't quite so obvious to me.

Photobucket

I'm the Damn Hello Kitty Batman. DON'T MESS WITH ME!

I am sure some people think I am setting myself up to be made fun of. That since I love Hello Kitty and anime I am going to get it twice as bad. Most of the time I really don't care. I like Hello Kitty, anime, and anything really cute. That's just who I am. However it does get a little old to hear the same thing from "more mature adults", that I need to grow up.

Why should I? So I can become like you and tell everyone to grow up?

Newsflash. I am grown up. This is what I am choosing to be and like. I have made my decision. There isn't just one type of adult out there. We all don't work 9-5 jobs, have 2.5 kids, and a white picket fence. Some of us are happy being the people we have been all along. We didn't turn 18 and decide to totally change our lives because society told us to.

I like Hello Kitty. I don't see that changing anytime soon. And if it did, it wouldn't be to make anyone happy or to grow up. Hello Kitty was made for everyone to love and dare I say I think she is marketed to my age group just as much as she is marketed to kids.

Anyone who has a problem with that can suck it.

Photobucket

Stop being jealous because we are having all the fun.

Oh and I LOVE Cinnamoroll too. XD



5 comments:

Unknown said...

Miao~ What a cute post. XD Glad that you found the strength in you to uphold your love for Kitty-chan.

It's definitely harder as a guy, to admit that you like cute "girly" stuff, but I try not to hide it. ^^;; Right now I'm collecting nendoroids. And damn these things are expensive! Really not possible in earlier days.

Stumbled on your site looking for reviews on the ending of pandora hearts. Just finished marathoning it, but still just as sad (and confused if there's no 2nd season). =\ I think I stuck with it mostly cause Alice was too cute all the way. lol.

Sore ja, genki de ne. Kawaii-mono, banzai! ^^v

Christina said...

Joewen- Sometimes it is hard to deal with the constant "when are you going to grow up?!" comments. Part of me think they are just jealous they feel as if they can't like what they want because they think it is now childish. But then sometimes I think they are just jerks who feel the need to put others down. Either way haters to the left! XD

I LOVE nendoroids! And I love that you love them and you are a guy. Most guys tend to flock toward the more "mature" figurines (you may too, I don't know) but the fact that you are a guy and love the cuteness that are nendoroids makes me happy. XD

I also hope that there is a season two of Pandora Hearts. They ended it...kinda dramatically and a bit off topic. I am glad Oz got that off his chest about his father but there were more pressing matters to be handled. But we shall hope for a season two!

Jodi said...

I have to say, This has to be the best post ive ever found on the internet. I give you props. Im 20 now and have i know well over.. 1000 Bucks invested into Hello Kitty. Christmas is right around the corner and im sure that amount will go up quiet a bit. Thank you so much.. from the bottom of my heart do i adore you! ^_^

p.s My first tattoo.. Hello Kitty... So i hear it all the time.. Believe me. hahaha Geez.. I still cosplay at local anime conventions.

LainX20 said...

How old is too old? I have a nice collection of cute stuff & I do have a 9-5 job.. actually 7:30am-5p (yikes right!) and a coworker made this comment about going shopping for hello kitty for her 34 year old female relative who she described as "immature for liking hello kitty" and she said her husband told her not to encourage her by buying her more stuff. I have a hello kitty vinyl decal on my prius - I have a hello kitty coin purse attached to my plush rillakuma iphone case.. I'm 31 years old... that's not too far off. I can't imagine she hasn't seen or noticed. My cubicle isn't too over-the-top, but I do have a hello kitty wall calendar. I felt kind of sad and hurt by it. I was asked what I would do when I turned 40. I mean, I just turned 31 and I feel so lost and discouraged and just sad. Being in my twenties I never got any heat for this - I think people just thought it went with my personality and pointed out cute things and would say "this is so you!" ... so what happens now? Who am I? Why does it hurt so much to get old. *sigh* I'm being so emo, but honestly feel pretty down. I searched google to find out more and saw your post. I was hoping to get some comments/feedback. If you respond that you have since stopped liking cute stuff cause you're nearing 30, I'll be like.. Oooh Okay, fine. Then donate my new hello kitty vans. *sigh*

Christina said...

LainX20- Sorry for such a late response! Hopefully by now you are not too down but I can really relate to your story. I hear people all the time, mainly one of my brothers and my mom, go on and on about how I need to stop with the Hello Kitty. Of course then Christmas time rolls around and all they get me is Hello Kitty stuff.

But yes. Sometimes it does hurt when people say things like about something you like. I see that men can go on and on about video games and for the most part, as long as they don't smell like weed and cheetos, no one tells them to grow up. And there are some adult men out there truly obsessed with a game they will never play (football) but no one tells them to get a life. So I am not sure why Hello Kitty gets such a bad rap, especially when some of the more expensive, higher end items are made and directed at older women.

At the current moment I have no intention of giving up my collection or love of hello kitty. I guess it really helps that my husband is supportive in my love of all that is cute and overwhelming. Maybe one day my interests might change but even if they do I will look back and be happy with all the fun I had collecting Hello Kitty items. XD Hopefully that day will never come but I really mean it when I say Hello Kitty is for all ages. You just keep doing what you are doing and enjoy it. People do get older but that doesn't mean they need to throw away all that they like just because some people think it is frivilous to spend money on "fun" things and not boring things like designer clothing and what not. Silly people. I hope you are feeling better. Sorry for the late response. :( Will work on fixing that.