Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Kobato Episode 3

This post would have been up sooner but I was at the mall spending my birthday money. Yeah that’s right be jealous at my ability to locate every single piece of Hello Kitty merchandise in my local mall. I guess the only upside with people thinking I look 16 is I can buy all the Hello Kitty stuff I want and no one blinks an eye. But yeah, it was a very Hello Kitty birthday and shopping day. Yay me for not buying reasonable stuff with my money.

Photobucket

Rain rain go away....

But here is the post. Which I might add will be posted earlier than normal despite my shopping trip. But next week I am not sure what will happen. There is a rumor that I might have to wake up early (as in actual early and not 11 am like I think early is) so I might have to actually get sleep. So I will either have to motivate myself to do the blog really early so I can go to bed…or wait until Friday after I am done being a zombie. But I plan on Wednesday like usual. Then be a zombie for the next 3 days.

But that is next week! I should be talking about this week and Kobato. So on we go to my sad attempt to not talk about the manga . Really I did try.





Photobucket

Why I am always in trouble?!

Kobato is happy looking at her bottle…and nearly drops it. She saves the bottle but Ioryogi ends up in the mud (where he spends most of the episode). Suddenly Sayaka is there and she takes Kobato to her new home? She introduces Kobato to her friend Chitose who runs a small apartment complex. Kobato is thrilled to meet such a nice lady and live in such an awesome 10x10 room with nothing but a suitcase and an angry plushie. Kobato spends time dodging rain drops, borrowing umbrellas from everyone in town, and getting made fun of by Fujimoto. Fujimoto spends most of his time telling Sayaka not to trust Kobato, that Sayaka will just get hurt again. During one of her lost umbrella adventures Kobato meets up with a girl named Mutsuki. Mutsuki likes sweets, giving out umbrellas, and her clueless classmate. Kobato spends more time getting wet in the rain, getting picked on by Fujimoto, and running into Mutsuki way too many times to be natural.

Photobucket

Why do you need so many umbrellas?!

One day Mutsuki witnesses her classmate walking home with a girl and she gets upset. Kobato is confused on why her new friend is upset. She receives a mattress from Chitose’s twin Chobits kids and uses it to plot out her attack plan to get Mutsuki’s candy. She comes up with…cornering said kid and demanding he walk under an umbrella with Mutsuki. Mutsuki and the boy turn red and boy confesses he doesn’t have a girlfriend. Then the most romantic umbrella sharing scene happens in the history of anime. Kobato doesn’t think it’s that romantic but Ioryogi tells her this is how humans doing their mating ritual. Kobato repays Ioryogi for his information by dropping him in another puddle. Across the street a certain angel senses something when Kobato walks by. By angel I mean the main character from Wish and their love interest. But who cares about that random fact when Kobato has earned another piece of candy. THE END!

Photobucket

Why hello there minor CLAMP crossover character. You get no introduction! The end.

This episode was our first taste into filler land in regards to Kobato. But only a partial filler. They also tried to cram as many random events from the manga into the anime. At times the pacing was making me dizzy and it felt a bit disconnected. And yet this all this information they added in…I think they left out the most important “side story” that needs to be mentioned.

Photobucket

I wouldn't want to be a complainer like Fujimoto....

Yeah I am a complainer. :( But since they are changing the events in the manga to better suit the anime perhaps the very important side story will be mentioned next episode. And the sorta important side story that is kinda fueling the manga right now. But the VERY important side story needs to be mentioned sooner. By next episode or else!

Photobucket

How did you know I was homeless......

So Kobato is no longer living in a tube. Much rejoicing. How she came about not living in the tube anymore was meh. Sayaka just went lalala let’s go to your new place that my friend owns. ER…just no. I might have selective memory as Ioryogi and Kobato just showed up at Chitose’s apartments (MMM Crossovers anyone?). So in the end does it matter if they randomly showed up on their own or Sayaka used her magic ball to realize that Kobato is living in a park tube? Probably not. It will take away from the GASP Chitose and Sayaka are friends thing but meh. That wasn’t really important to get all wiggy about.

Photobucket

She is content with what she has which is positive. Silly but positive!

But yes Kobato now has a place to live. With her suitcase, stuffed animal, and magical bottle not filled with candy (I seriously can’t believe they are really going to call it candy X_X). Her suitcase is magical as it will hold about 15 different outfits and hats for Kobato to wear. When I look around my house and see all the stuff I own….yeah. It’s hard to imagine only owning enough stuff for a suitcase and a bag. Of course I am not a magical being…..

Photobucket

Umbrellas for all!

This episode revolved around umbrellas. And people giving Kobato free things. I think that Ioryogi hit the nail on the head when he said that Kobato was here to heal others, not get healed herself. Even though Ms. Kobato has her OWN UMBRELLA she kept leaving the house without one. In the course of this 22 minute episode she got three umbrellas, a mattress, and two bags of treat. Dude someone teach me how to look nice and innocent, I want free stuff. But yeah…the umbrella stuff was a little bit too much for me. It was almost like the episode was a commercial for the national weather system than Kobato. XD

Photobucket

I must fix this situation that I don't understand!

So ignoring the parade of umbrellas this episode introduced us to the first filler friend of the week. Say hello to Mutsuki, the girl who runs in the rain and has a crush on her best friend. She’s a little bit like Yuzuriha from X/1999 in personality and appearance. She is full of energy and wants to do it herself. However she does not have a cute spirit dog and the boy she likes is actually her age.

Photobucket

Call me a cynic but sharing an umbrella is not romantic. Sometimes it can be dangerous.

Her issue is a small one (which I think all of the healed hearts will belong to small issues as Kobato can’t handle….BIG THINGS). She likes a guy. She doesn’t tell the guy she likes him and he walks home with another girl. Clearly her heart is broken. I kinda….feel bad for the guy. He is painted almost like the bad guy when really he was never told anything. Which he needs to get use to since he has a penis, that he is always wrong. XD

Photobucket

All is well! Nothing more to see here folks.

So how does Kobato heal Mutsuki’s heart? She totally misunderstands why Mutsuki is sad and almost drop kicks the boy into spending time with Mutsuki. Kobato and her confused self thought that Mutsuki was sad that the boy wasn’t walking under the umbrella with her when everyone else on the planet knows that Mutsuki was jealous. And since the boy liked Mutsuki back things worked out (because if he said WTF I am out of here it might have ruined the episode). Now….I can see why Kobato thought that is what Mutsuki wanted. If we view Kobato as an alien with no knowledge of how humans interact on Earth her conclusion actually makes sense. That and Kobato is lalala innocent and carefree and thinks only about the small issues. Yes Kobato managed to heal her heart…but she still doesn’t know why. XD I guess it would be more serious, that Kobato really isn’t learning about human behavior and she will get lucky each time she heals a heart. But since this series should be fluffier than most CLAMP series I will accept Kobato and her random guesses and how cute she looks when she gets it right. I mean, at least her heart is in the right place. XD

Photobucket

We will blind you from these interesting tidbits by throwing two cute crossover characters you way. Have a futon instead.

I would just like to briefly mention something to the viewers who do not read the manga. Mutsuki gave Kobato a few treats when she runs into her again (because she is running out of umbrellas ya’ll). But did Kobato eat those treats? No she didn’t. Kobato has been offered food before in the manga and hasn’t accepted it/eaten it. It has always been Ioryogi. Just bringing that to your attention.

Photobucket

Stop squishing me!

There was minimum Fujimoto in this episode. They left out his rude futon comment from the manga which painted him in a bad light. But since they took directly from the manga the cheek pinching scene I am fine with that. XD

Photobucket

Will they all be different colors? Like Skittles? Taste the rainbow!

So our episode ends with Kobato in awe that she earns another piece of candy (seriously…..) and Ioryogi getting dropped into another puddle. Kobato gets a little yelled at and a bad mark….and there is someone in the distance. Someone who thinks the air feels different because Kobato is around. Why it’s Kohaku from Wish.

Yeah……that was a bit early. And more importance was placed on Kohaku sensing Kobato than anything that has happened in the manga thus far. So…is the anime going to focus more on combining both Kobato and Wish? Or am I speaking too soon as the manga is going AS SLOW AS MUD. Well if it’s going slow as mud they really wouldn’t know what is going on with Kohaku and her(his) more proportional man Shuichiro in the manga.

Photobucket

Someone sensing something in CLAMP? SAY IT AIN'T SO!!!

But….it was nice seeing Kohaku again. Even if she(he) is less ambiguous now Kohaku is still cute. And Shuichiro is less scary and more…modern looking. That is bound to happen since the manga came out over 10 years ago. Art styles change and I think this time it’s for the better. But Kohaku and company better not overshadow Kobato and her awesomeness.

Photobucket

Beware the demon dog!

So that’s about it for this lovely random episode. Perhaps we will get into some of the bigger plot points next episode. And maybe Kobato won’t be blasted through the air as much. See ya next Wednesday (if I don’t have to get up at the crack of dawn for work….).




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, i;ve read all the available kobato and am up to date with the anime..... i know where you are coming from on certain things (how sayaka sensei knew kobato was homeless?), but i also feel it would be boring and pointless to watch the exact same thing i've already read. i actually like that its a new take on the story

Christina said...

Anonymous- This comment (and another) got put in my Trash filter and not in my inbox. :( Sorry for the late response.

I think that it would be boring if every detail was discussed in the anime (Dragon Ball Z anyone?). But it does make me RARW when the hat issue hasn't be properly brought to life. That way people can go HMMM and WHAT DOES THAT MEAN the entire series. XD

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.