Monday, January 6, 2014

Winter Anime Line-Up 2014: Tenchi's Picks

Hello there lovely readers. And welcome to winter. Unless you live in Arizona. Then we all hate you. Even us people in Florida. We are not built for such cold weather. I realize and acknowledge that others states are much colder than we are but it is all relative. Thus I freeze as my co-worker likes to pretend she is still young enough for hot flashes and turns on the fan.
 photo winteranime_zpsa2e9395d.jpg
Put more clothes on, it is freezing outside!
It's that time of year again. Where Tenchi goes XO the new animes are being released as I speak and I haven't made my decisions yet woe is me!!! So while I start downloading some new ones (with my computer going BEYOND slow) read what I think may or may not be interesting this year. It seems all around though that 2014 Winter is not going to be a great one guys. It might be a little light. In fact I watched twice as many PV just to have more things to MAYBE watch. X__X  

The Yes 

Noragami 
  
 photo noragami_zps120a8a58.jpg
Congrads on being the only yes!

Synopsis:At the boundary between this realm and another, there live eight million gods, dead spirits who serve the gods, and other assorted spirits who help and meddle in the affairs of humans. A sweet middle school girl named Hiyori Iki has been enduring bullying from her classmates, and she goes to the restroom by herself to cry. Scrawled on the bathroom wall is a phone number and the message, "I solve your troubles." After Hiyori calls the number, she encounters a homeless boy wearing a jersey who calls himself a god. The boy, named Yato, is rough, moody, lazy, and never listens to anyone's wishes, but he had the power to be a god... that no one knew of. 

Thoughts: Between all the shows I watched (well the P V s anyway) this one was definitely one I thought I was going to like and it didn't disappointed. Right that down people when things go wrong. XD Sickeningly, over the top sweet animes with sweet girls and the sweet boys that rescue them make me want to jab my eyes out. It sounds like Hiyori has reason to cry but being around Yato might help her gain confidence and stick up for herself. She is going to do something about the problem and not just cry about it for all eternity. Then again over the top bad boys with a heart of gold are a dime a dozen...still the art for this show actually MATCHED what was shown in the PV and it seems like it will be a fun show. I am putting this on the yes list. Hopefully it stays there. 

Air Date: January 5th 

Number of Episodes: Unknown 


The Maybes 

Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha
  

 photo inarikonkon_zpsad813ba3.jpg
I probably would eat them with a fox. XD These ones anyway.
 
Synopsis: Fushimi Inari is a shy, not-so-bright middle school girl living in Kyoto's Fushimi ward. She has a crush on her classmate Tanbabashi, but cannot express her feelings. One day, as thanks for helping a fox pup, the deity Ukanomitama-no-kami grants her the ability to change her form. 

Thoughts: Sometimes when you watch a PV you really don't get to the meat of the show. I know it is supposed to be a teaser, of things to come. Sorta like an opening song but without the pepping song that has staying power. With this PV I didn't get the feel of form changing. I saw Fushimi rescue a fox and the fox god is coming to visit her. I saw she was a bit shy around a boy but I didn't see the wish being granted. Or ability. I will give this show a whirl to see what it is all about. You can do it shy girl! Surely he is the love of your life. Or you can work for the fox god. XD 

Air Date: January 16 

Number of Episodes: 10 


Z/X Ignition 



 photo zxignition_zpsf0d2bcd1.jpg
So is our world the 6th one and are we in trouble too?

Synopsis: The story is set in the not-so-distant future. Five "Black Points" suddenly appeared around the world as portals to parallel worlds. Immediately after, strange creatures began their invasion from these portals. These creatures are the inhabitants of five worlds—the same worlds in different timeframes. In order to ensure their own future timeframe survives, each of the five invasion forces battle to wipe the other future timeframes out. The key is one card-shaped device. 

Thoughts: So...are the battles strictly with cards? When I saw the PV again not much was happening. Almost like stills from a modeling shoot or something. I really have no feel of this show. Only what I have read in a few synopsis online. Thanks for giving me an idea of what is going to happen....So yeah the show sounds interesting but are the battles carried out via card guardian thingy...? That seems to be popular in Japan. Got to sell that merchandise. But then reading the synopsis again it sounds like the creatures are strange despite the fact that there was a humanoid standing with them. So maybe the creatures are using people from this Earth to help them battle via cards? I don't know, I know the idea of battling timelines has been done before (some tragic anime with a lot of dead kids) but it sorta newish and not over done so I guess I will give it a try. Yay cards! 

Air Date: January 10th 
 
Number of Episodes: Unknown 


Hamatora 


 photo hamatora_zps20d3a579.jpg
Have I been challenged to a Pokemon battle?

Synopsis: The story revolves around "Minimum" or "minor miracle"—special hereditary powers discovered only in an extremely limited number of humans. Those who possess such powers are known as "Minimum Holders." 

Thoughts: So when making my picks this year I watched the PV one day and then wrote my thoughts about it the next day. So I would be forced to remember what I saw and could see if things made a real impression on me. I do remember this show had people powering up and things turned into a technocolor mess. I can't tell if that was to make the PV look cool or if that is how things really are going to be for this show. I remember the characters looking like they could be Pokemon trainers for some reason. It could be interesting. Like the X-Men without Wolverine stealing the show. 

Air Date: January 8th 

 Number of Episodes: Unknown 


Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta 



 photo toaruhikuushi_zpsd18e610b.jpg
Paint me like one of your French girls.

Synopsis: This is a tale of a prince who lost everything who leaves for a journey with no guarantee of returning to his hometown safely. With hatred and revenge in his mind, he meets several people that teach him about friendship... and love. 

Thoughts: And love. Love folks! There are planes being shot down out of the sky but as long as this Prince gets his happy ending it will be okay. It kinda made me wonder why the Prince was fighting on the front line but then again that could be a morale thing. Like look the Prince is one of us, we shall all fight together as equals. But anyway is this going to be a show that two countries (or more) are fighting and the Prince ends up going to the other nation. At first he hates the people but they open his heart and he discovers there could be more than one truth in the world? I guess I could give it a whirl. Get to the choppa! 

Air Date: January 6th 

Number of Episodes: 12 


Nobunaga the Fool


 photo nobunagathefool_zps43a8e011.jpg
Why is Japan obsessed with Joan of Arc?


Synopsis: The Western Planet and the Eastern Planet. Once upon a time, the two sides were bound by the "Dragon Pulse" spanning the heavens. The civilization that once had prospered has now turned to a tale of dreams, as the inextinguishable flames of war tear the realm asunder. The two planets remain engulfed in endless battles. The return of the super technology known as "sacred treasures" could revolutionize the world order, but no one knows of them but one person—a "heretical girl." A girl from the Western Planet, Jeanne Kaguya d'Arc, saw heavenly visions of the birth of a "Star Messiah" who will save the world. She embarks on a journey to the Eastern Planet with Leonardo da Vinci, "the one who observes the world." They come across the heretic of the Eastern Planet and "the greatest fool of the day," Oda Nobunaga. 

Thoughts: I am not sure how I feel about shows that take real historical characters and change them into something different. You know, how Abraham Lincoln could have been a vampire hunter. Not that I am very familiar with Nobunaga, just that he is a famous Japanese figure that gets mentioned a lot. Now reading the synopsis makes me think that this was going to be a fantasy like anime. Then I watched the PV and it was basically a mecha show. This would be the super technology mentioned. At least it makes sense on how the two planets can fight each other. I guess I can give this show a whirl, to see what is all about. Maybe I can look past the names. Like the show was just trying be special. XD Look at us, we got Leonardo da Vinci. 

Air Date: January 6th 

Number of Episodes: Unknown 


The Probably Nots 

Mikakunin de Shinkoukei 


 photo mikakunin_zpsa5c7e1b9.jpg
Behold the entire PV right here!

Synopsis: Yonomi Kobeni, an ordinary girl, finds out on her 16th birthday that she is betrothed to Mitsumine Hakuya, a boy the same age as her. Hakuya moves in from the countryside and starts living with her, bringing his younger sister who is still a primary school student with him. Also added is his older sister who is already living with Kobeni and is two years older. The story revolves around these four people and their identities as "couples" and "sisters-in-law." 

Thoughts: My thoughts are that the PV for this show are useless. I think I saw 3 of them and 2 were just them on black drops dancing or being cute. Not part of the show. How can I see what the show is about if all I see is them smiling for the camera? Am I supposed to just pick this show because they are cute? Clearly I am not familiar with the source material but it looked like they picked stills from a video game. I got no understanding of what the show was about from watching the PV. It sounds like it might be a fun show but so far I have not been drawn in. Why should I give a show a try when it didn't try itself to make me interested? 

Air Date: January 9th 

Number of Episodes: 12 


Mahou Sensou



 photo mahousensou_zpsb641c896.jpg
Lies. The art work is a lie!


Synopsis: In this modern magic action story, Takeshi Nanase is an ordinary high school boy who has a somewhat dark past. Due to certain circumstances, he formed a "fake" couple with his childhood friend Kurumi Isoshima, but otherwise, he lives a normal life. However, one day, he comes across a girl named Mui Aiba, in a uniform he has never seen before, collapsed on the school campus. This encounters changes Takeshi's destiny completely. Mui tells Takeshi that she is a magician, and she apologizes, for she turned Takeshi into a magician, too. What Takeshi once knew as one world is actually two—the world where magicians live and the world where humans live. 

Thoughts: After watching the PV I was almost like um no. Like the TV station called the anime studio asking where the commercial was and everyone panicked because they hadn't started it yet. They threw together a show where everyone had wonky eyes and questionable animation and crossed their fingers. Unless this is the actual final animation we are dealing with. Then no. I am used to Sailor Moon C-Team days so I guess I could see if this was a super off day. I kinda wonder about this sorta dark past. In anime that can mean letting your friend win a race to your entire family being eaten by Titans. Teenagers can be so dramatic. 

Air Date: January 10th 

Number of Episodes: Unknown 


D-Frag



 photo dfrag_zps4cd3b22d.jpg
Yes show only the normal looking characters.

Synopsis: Kazama Kenji likes to believe he is something of a delinquent. Moreover, others seem to like to agree that he is. Of course, Kenji's gang finds their way to a group of four not-so-normal girls—Chitose, Sakura, Minami and Roka—and all at once, whatever reputation he may have is nothing compared to the outrageous behavior of the girls. Shanghaied into joining their club, what will happen to his everyday life from that point on? 

Thoughts: This show LOOKED like it could have been fun. Again the art that is floating around the internets did not match with what was being shown on the PV. Just....it looked like...not my kind of show. I thought it was going to be some normal looking boys with some normal looking guys that did...crazy things. I just don't like it when shows that are supposed to be about humans have some characters so out there they look like aliens. Like look at me and my stereotypes that make no sense. I don't know, could have been fun for the boys to be like look at how bad we are and the girls would be laughing, that's child's play! 

Air Date: January 7th 

Number of Episodes: Unknown

No comments: