Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Anime Weekend Atlanta Convention Report: Day Zero

HELLO THERE MY LOVELY READERS! It is I The Tired One. AKA Tenchi after spending 4 days on vacation. From September 27th to September 30th I spent time at (and traveling to) Anime Weekend Atlanta. Much antics were had, wallets were emptied out, and many nights were spent not sleeping because anime convention attendees are loud zombies. Now it is back to the real world which involves working with crazy people and waiting for the next fun event (Halloween Horror Nights here we come).
Photobucket
To the Tenchi Mobile!
But before I hope right back into anime posts and what not…it is time to post about my trip! Can’t go on a trip without a Trip Report right? XD So beware many posts in the next few days all about AWA, costumes, and swags. Lets start off with Thursday, our travel day, registration pick up, and Super Happy Fun Sell fun!
Photobucket
That looks like the never ending building in Orlando!
Due to the husband’s work situation I had to meet him at his base so we could leave during his lunch time. I would have liked to leave earlier in the morning so we could check in (get a better room if possible) and maybe visit the HUGE mall nearby before registration but what can you do? At least we got to go you know? XD So I finished packing up and doing last minute things around the house before I headed out. Kira got scared of the suitcases so I didn’t get a goodbye from her. Crazy cat.
Photobucket
Apparently many bugs were killed in the making of this road trip.
So after meeting up with the husband and getting some noms at the local Burger King (to get the HHN cup because I am not a fan of their new fries) onwards we went. Our map scheduled us for 5.5 hours of FUN through the backwoods of Georgia. There was so much to see folks I don’t know where to begin. There was grass and trees and horses. I saw some cotton and run down houses and trees. And then we saw speed signs that said 45 miles an hour and we wondered how this way could possibly be faster than the highway. Onward we went through the land of no cellphone reception and a church on every corner despite there being NO HOUSES for miles.
Photobucket
Back on the correct road we think.
Finally we made it to Atlanta, land of traffic and super confusing roads. Last year we were traveling around in the car pool lane when the husband starting cussing as he missed our turn off. This year we vowed not to do the same thing. So we were cruising along in the car pool lane when suddenly we watched our exit go right on by. Or really the entire highway TURNED and we were going straight on the now regular road and not highway. Who has ever heard of a highway turning 4 lanes and the “straight” lane being the nonhighway road.
Photobucket
There is the hotel! And the dead bugs on our car. XD
As complicated as I just explained it…it turned into a hot mess. The husband tried to get off at the next exit but traffic got crazy so we had to go two more exits to turn around. Only by now it was 5:30 and everyone was getting off of work and there was chaos in the streets. Cops directing confused people and stand still traffic. It was X___X. A split second mistake turned into a 45 minute attempt to make a U-turn.
Photobucket
Casa de Tenchi for the next 3.5 days.
We FINALLY made it to the hotel without getting in an accident or getting further lost. The husband vows next time that we will not get in the car pool lane as it keeps screwing us over and not helping us out like it is supposed to. The husband went to check in while I got out of the car and stretched my poor legs. All around me were people trying to get all their stuff out of their cars so they could start enjoying their weekend too. Funny how we were only gone for 4 days yet we had so much stuff to haul upstairs. But by the looks of all these bags and boxes we weren’t the only serious packers.
Photobucket
Before our mess expands and takes over.
Checking in didn’t take that long so off we went up to our hotel room. We got an elevator and parking space rather quick, something that would not happen the rest of the weekend. We hauled our stuff up to the 5th floor. Not too bad considering our set back on the road. I have come to learn it really doesn’t matter how high up you are at the hotel, the noise is all the same. XD So you might as well try to get a place closer to the ground so in case you have to take the stairs you don’t die.
Photobucket
Don't jump Piglu!
After snapping a few pics of the hotel room and getting slightly settled we got our happy selves back down to the lobby to get in line for registration. Last year we got to the hotel around 7:40 and there was barely any line. This year we got in the registration line at 6:40 and we weren’t even in the line. We were in the overflow line that would lead into the line eventually. I think some people were shocked by this and I heard other people complaining that the lines were better last year. Well I pulled out my little DS and played Pokemon the entire hour I was in line. I rather wait in line on Day Zero than Day One. XD It also reminded me of a previous AWA (might have been 8..) where my friends and I didn’t prereg and we just walked to the counter where the prereg people had a long line.
Photobucket
Almost to the real line!
After waiting in line and nearly losing my mind because battling a legendary pokemon, a rival, and the real baddie all without saving is fun…..it was Super Happy Fun Sell Time. WOOHOO! Time to spend money on gently (maybe not so gently) used goods. I almost kicked myself in the head though once in the room. I thought I was prepared for AWA but apparently I have made a year long mistake. After returning from AWA last year….I didn’t update my manga list. What is wrong with me folks?! So yeah. I probably would have bought way more mangas had I updated the list. Woe is me.
Photobucket
Only bring cash to the Super Happy Fun Sell. And your own bag.
But even though I am massively special I still found things to buy. It is a little intimidating when there are so many people looking at you hopefully and being…maybe slightly overly helpful when you are just browsing. Like buy our stuff so we can eat this weekend!!!! But in the end I walked away with a petit nendoroid, some mangas, things that have nothing to do with anime, an artbook, and a really cool wallet that my friend should flip over.
Photobucket
Soon this will be full of people!
After getting our share of yard sale goodness and obtaining food from a very empty food court the husband and I went back upstairs to read the ConGuide. I had made myself a schedule when it was posted on the AWA website but I wanted to read everything and see if my opinion would change. Plus the husband hadn’t researched anything yet so we had to make sure he knew what was going on. Spoiler Alert: He just did everything I wanted to do. XD He is the kind of person who doesn’t want to be disappointed so he doesn’t look forward to things. Unlike me of course….
Photobucket
Is it almost time for fun?
So that is about it for Day Zero. Yay for driving forever and having the highway hate us. Are we ready for 3 sleepless nights because this hotel is shaped funny? Oh we are such old people. XD

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had an adventure! :O

Did you meet Johnny Yong Bosch (voice actor of Vash the Stampede), Troy Baker or any other famous anime people? Did you talk to any popular Japanese seiyuu or pop singer like Eri Kitamura (she's awesome!)? If so, what did you talk about? Were there many cosplayers? Because from your pictures I couldn't see anyone in cosplay. If there were cosplayers, did you have the misfortune of meeting "con funk"? Con funk is basically cosplayers who wear the same costume for days long without showering and develop a horrid odor. I should know because I've heard stories about "con funk" at conventions in California like Anime Expo. Were there any awesome cosplayers that looked like their characters? Registration looked long. Didn't the organizers know how to accept credit cards? Is that why they accepted cash only? Was driving much cheaper than flying to Atlanta? Because my cousin and friends would fly from state to state for her business/college almost all the time but rarely drive. Was it really claustrophobic at the convention?

Hope you had a good time. :)

Christina said...

Anonymous- At least I survived the adventure, unlike all the poor dead bugs on the husband's windshields. XD Day Zero was really just a travel day thus no cosplay pictures. There are 4 more posts after this about the convention full of pics though.

Johnny had a segment for the Opening Ceremony that was hilarious. Basically made fun of him being in every anime ever and how AWA was founded in the swamps of Georgia. We did go to his concert late on Saturday. His autograph line was beyond long in the Dealer's Room but I saw that he started his own autograph line after the concert for more people which was nice.

We like going to the Opening Ceremonies because we get to see all the special guests in case we don't see them the rest of the weekend. It is fun watching them talk to the crowd and look all excited.

There were lots of cosplayers all over the place. The largest group I saw this year was Bleach but Sailor Moon had a decent crowd too.

Confunk....ugh. I can say it wasn't as bad this year, maybe because it wasn't AS hot as it usually is. But there were some people smelling bad at the Super Happy Fun Sell. Like how does this happen?! After long car rides you go to your room and freshen up! But over the weekend I saw several people wearing the same costume all three days. I made an effort to stay away from them so my nose could survive.

I think that line did accept credit cards at one point but when we got to the front more people were paying with cash so they were trying to make it move faster with more cash lines.

We spent about about $110 on gas driving 6.5 hours to AWA. We could probably fly there for about the same price but then we would have to take less stuff with us and deal with getting to and from the airport. Maybe if we knew people in the area....but then I wouldn't be able to come home with tons of stuff. XD

The only real moments of claustrophobicness was getting from the hotel to the convention space. The hallway is small and most of the events are that way so it can get crowded.

We had a great time. XD Adventures are always fun!