Friday, October 12, 2012

New Anime Series! Little Busters! episode 1

BEHOLD! I went to work today and did my entire shift. And people only asked if I was okay 5 times after my coughing fits. Surely I am on the road to recovery or I am great at faking it for money. In any event…WOOHOO! Didn’t pass out and no one yelled at me. Clearly a successful day for me. I shall reward myself for doing something everyone else does with ice cream.
Photobucket
XO So much infection going on! ConFlu, zombie virus, and rabies! Yay Halloween!
As I eat this magical treat of peppermint ice before Halloween even rolls around…more anime blogging time! Up now is an anime a lot of people were probably looking forward to as it was popular in another medium. Little Busters episode 1 time! Spoilers for Clannad flashbacks!
Photobucket
Somehow being a school idol doesn't sound like fun.
Episode Summary: A young man is walking while the sun is slowly rising. Riki is woken up at his roommate’s Masato screams that Kyousuke is back. Masato runs out of the room and Riki tries to catch up. Riki ends up in a room with a lot of other students watching Masato and other individual named Kengo fight with their fists and kendo weapon. It gets a little crazy and Riki spies the elusive Kyousuke attempting to nap. Riki says that Masato and Kengo only fight when Kyousuke is around so Kyousuke needs to fix it. So Kyousuke tells the crowd to throw weapons at the two boys so the battle will become fairer. Masato ends up with a cat which he intends to use in battle. Masato is then beat up on by an angry girl named Rin. She rescues the cat and gives Masato more ass kicking because of his rough treatment of the cat. The reason for the fight between Masato and Kengo turns out to be Masato messing up a quote. The five go outside and it is revealed through Riki that they have been friends since childhood. Riki has just lost his parents when the 4 other kids approached him and asked him to join their Little Buster group. They said they went around fighting monsters and what not but it was basically them getting in trouble and barely surviving to fight another day.
Photobucket
That sounds...painful.
In the present Kyousuke talks about how he was gone because he went looking for a job. This leads the others to realize that they will be seniors next year and Kyousuke will be gone. Sad that things might change Riki suggest they do something like when they were younger. To go on adventures and what not. So…Kyousuke suggests they start a baseball team called Little Busters. He quickly assigns a few roles and Rin is made pitcher. She nearly kills Masato on her first pitch so practice is over. Kyousuke takes them to a locker room and declares it theirs. Everyone questions why he picked baseball and the answer is…because it isn’t the obvious answer. Kengo decides that he is too busy with kendo and leaves. Kyousuke says he will come around eventually and people disperse to do other things. Riki tries to do homework but Masato and his alien talk distract him.
Photobucket
Details details my boy!
Kyousuke eventually arrives and brings in Kengo and Rin so he can complete his homework which collecting famous quotes. Only any time anyone says anything that becomes a famous quote and the screen turns inspirational. The talk turns to the baseball team which has no practice time, barely any members, and little to no motivation. Kyousuke sends his sister Rin back to her girl dorm to get some more members because apparently getting more guys would be silly. Problem is Rin has communication issues on a good day and with the boys trying to talk in her ear Rin scares everyone away. Rin eventually comes across a girl who doesn’t like her too much. There is a bit of throw down and the guys listen in all X___X. With no new members life goes on. The next day Kyousuke is reading mangas during break and Riki comments on how all the girls love him for his child like innocence. Riki decides he will help recruit new members to help Kyousuke out. He decides to follow someone up to the roof and finds a girl with a piñata full of candy. Could she be a new member? THE END!
Photobucket
Obviously folks. Baseball was obviously the answer.
Woohoo! Another new anime series under my belt. Surely I will catch up and be back on track. Or maybe I should focus on just enjoying the anime series as I can watch them and not worry about catching up? Silly me. In any event at least I got to watch another new anime that didn’t explode my brain. Can’t have too many of those shows or I will go crazy in confusion.
Photobucket
Watch better versions of the show then moron!!!
First off though I was expecting the art to be a little cleaner than what it was. One could argue it looks practically the same as Clannad but it was a bit…off for me? Does that make sense. Like the guys almost looked like huge blocks of muscles at time. Compared to the tiny Rin of course. Maybe I just like my guys smaller. Or more proportional to the female counterparts. I don’t know, maybe I was expecting too much and this is a petty issue.
Photobucket
I got an old cellphone and some tissues. Will that work?
I was going to say I don’t understand boys and why they need to talk with their fists. But sometimes I communicate with people in somewhat…rough ways. I am trying to think of examples that would make sense in just one sentence but I am a context kinda girl. So…yeah. I guess if I bond with “special” words boys can bond with their…fists. And swords.
Photobucket
Save the kitty!
But who the hell threw the cat into the ring? Water guns and hockey sticks okay. But cats? WHO DID THAT?! It was also a weird way to get the focus on Rin, the cat lover of the group. Like oh here is a random cat and Rin will do ANYTHING for animals because she is awesome like that. Maybe I just don’t understand because my Kira would be so useless in battle.
Photobucket
Oh snap time to start the episode then!
For some reason I find it refreshing that Riki is the main character and not Kyousuke. Kyousuke is almost like the obvious main character. And the Little Busters seems to be possible because of him. He makes things happens and has the plans and brings them together. So maybe to outsiders Kyousuke is the main character but Riki is the one telling the story. So yay for Riki getting some attention when Kyousuke was the obvious choice.
Photobucket
We will be your friends no worry!
Perhaps the reason why that is is because Riki needed the Little Busters more? Or at least it seems that way. No parents, all alone in the world. He needed friends and Kyousuke was like come join us! Maybe it will be revealed later that the others were just as lonely and Kyousuke rounded them up in the same way. But Riki seems quiet, that he needed some help in the friends department. Thus maybe Little Busters means slightly more to him?
Photobucket
What the hell is this?!?!?!
But oh boy I meant it when I said those kids were lucky to be alive. I thought they were going to be cute and do silly little things. Like haha looking at them trying to swat away the bees. But then they set one of their friends on fire?! Do I see fire tricks coming down the road because someone was lit up like a Christmas Tree? Interesting friends yes.
Photobucket
Sounds like someone needs a hug!
While Kyousuke’s baseball dreams barely make any sense (and such an original name there buddy) I can understand where he was coming from. The first of his friends to grow up and he was getting a taste of the real world. Work, living on your own, and maybe never seeing your friends again (or if you do not every day). So while he has time lets do something together as a group. Baseball! Because that makes more sense than beating on bees anyway. Just wish Kengo was more on board with this idea. Don’t be like that dude!
Photobucket
The more you know!
A great deal of the episode was dedicated to silliness. And I enjoy silliness so it was enjoyable to watch. Assigning Rin a new title was fun and bit of a throwback to Clannad. Actually I might compare the two series a lot…will we get another inspirational baseball speech? The crazy quotes were getting pretty crazy. Glad they stopped when they did or it wouldn’t have been as funny.
Photobucket
Time to run away from the crazy person.
The boys trying to get new members through Rin was special. Which I am sure was the point. Rin has a bit of a robotic way about her when she is not around the boys. I say boys and I am bit surprised given how many girls are all over the internet in regards to this series. I wonder how that will truly change the dynamic of this group, especially since most will like Riki right? Gotta love those dating games. These 5 friends seem very tight and introducing all these new girls so late in their friendships might be weird.
Photobucket
Clearly a great candidate for the baseball team.
While Rin and her attempts to get new members on their special baseball team failed Riki might have accidentally stumbled upon one. I think he will stumble on most of them actually. I would love it if candy fell from the sky, sign me up! So overall this was a very silly and fun episode. While I did not play the game I do know SOME of the things that will happen in the series. Tear jerker indeed. So while the whole show won’t be ruined for me, mainly because I suck at names, I am wondering how this will all turn out and when things will get “sad”. Does that make the happy moments less happy or more happy knowing that though? Must think about that one.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I visited your blog just in time to read Little Bustahs (yes, I purposely misspelled that for the lolz). Talk about awesome timing :D

This episode reminds of two things:

1). The spiky white haired guy in blue (already forgot his name XD) reminds of Vergil from Devil May Cry. Fond memories of that franchise before Capcom (Or Crapcom for the haters) ruined it.

2). The school uniforms in this show. They're black and red. Wait for it, Saya's "school" wore black and red uniforms as well. Oh crap, memories of Blood-C are returning to me D: So far, this is the second anime on this blog that reminded me of Blood-C (the first being Shin Sekai Yori). Fortunately, this is a comedy show (I hope) and I doubt we'll see a clumsy & ditzy female protagonist singing about how it's a wonderful life while fighting bloodthirsty monsters. I could be wrong though.

Oh yeah, I guess forming a baseball team seems cool as a plot driving force. Better than being an ultra serious drama about a high school election that won't matter in a couple of years.

Please, Little Busters, don't remind me again of Blood-C. :(

Anonymous said...

First anonymous here again.

Two more things to add:

3). Rin reminds me of Taiga from Toradora with that Tsundere attitude of hers like beating up Masato during the fight. Hilarious comedy done right in that Toradora (take that Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate!).

4). Riki with the red bandana reminds of Domon Kasshue from G Gundam. Love the cheesy moments from that show.

Woah, it seems like the creators are pulling inspirations from different animes to tell a story of baseball. I'm surprised there isn't a character that looks and acts like someone from Magical Lyrical Nanoha.

Crazy that.

eternia said...

Umm, this story is originally KEY's visual novel, just like Kanon and Clannad. Only that this one is made into anime by JC Staff, hence the art difference. If it was made KyoAni, the guys would be feminime looking, and you won't be able to tell a mom and a girl apart, lol.

No, this is totally not Blood-C. If you have watched the former two anime, you know what to expect :
-daily life comedy
-tearjerker drama
-supernatural mixed in

Oh, in case you are wondering, I have played the game. And please don't give me weird look, because it's not an eroge. =D

Anonymous said...

Hello @Eternia

First anonymous here

This is my first exposure to this show, so I did not know the history of its creators or that it was one of KEY's visual novels and that it was made by JC Staff. Please forgive my ignorance. :(

I just thought it would be entertaining to point out similarities of these characters to other franchises. I know some anime writers will take inspirations from other shows when creating their own characters.

About the Blood-C comparison, in almost all the anime (95%) I've seen the school uniforms have always been a lighter and softer color tone. The uniforms would be light yellow mixed with white or just a plain white shirt with black pants, you get the idea. The fact that Blood-C used a darker black and red uniform was surprising to me. It was the first time I've seen such a color combination for school uniforms. Seeing the rare black and red color uniforms in Little Busters made me think of the uniforms from Blood-C and thus make a comparison.

Besides, black and red is a cool color combo :D

Christina said...

Anonymous- I think Blood-C has scarred a lot of people for life. Small details of other animes put us on edge and suddenly we hear songs about walking to school and cracks in the sidewalk. A scary though indeed!

While this show is supposed to be serious and funny at the same time I think it will pull it off in a more...logical manner. Not with kids running a 6k student school while running each other over with cars and such. XD Hopefully anyway.

I was having a lot of Clannad flashbacks this episode myself. Inspirational baseball moments. Ah...I remember watching that episode with the husband and my best friend..and heart broken they didn't think it was hilarious! XD Goobers.

I think school uniforms can look very similar after a while so when something different comes along and then ANOTHER uniform is different in the same way it is easy to draw that conclusion. But then I am reminded of a certain someone whose save record is ZERO (downgraded because I am sure the girl in the park died later anyway). Our poor minds!
Eternia- Good to know I felt that art was off from what I am used to with Key shows. I love my men feminine, it is easier to pair them off with other boys. XD Kidding kidding...sometimes.

Also I am incapable of giving people weird looks at this time. The eye is acting wonky again. Pretty sure I am cursed and someone is trying to kill me before The Walking Dead Season Three starts. XD

Anonymous said...

@Christina

First anonymous here again.

Off topic question: During your adventures in Japan, did you happen to meet students wearing black and red uniforms? I know there's navy blue and all black uniforms, but I don't know about black/red combo. I was just wondering if that combination of colors has any real world basis or is it just anime make believe.

Again, I think the black and red is a cool combo. :)

Christina said...

Anonymous- During my adventures to Japan I saw several groups of school kids. I don't think I saw many high school students. I did see one group of older kids and they had on dark blue or black uniforms. Actually almost all the tops I saw were white with the pants being a dark blue or black. I did not see any red or green used as a uniform color. I did see tiny kids wearing the cute yellow hats. So yeah either I didn't see those uniforms or animes make them seem very colorful when it is just a different combination of darker colors and white.