Wednesday, August 15, 2012

London Olympics 2012 Tenchi Recap!

Behold the 2012 Olympics have been over for a few days now. I am still suffering from withdrawals though. Maybe it is because in my every day life I don't really care about sports. So once every two years I am like WOOHOO look at all those athletics! Because usually I don't cheer for football or basketball. Just BAM all at once and then it leaves me wanting more. Woe is me.
Photobucket
I probably would have taken way too many pictures. XD
Since I did watch an abnormal amount of TV (even for me) during the last 17 days I thought maybe I would share a bit of what I thought of the Olympics. It did keep me away from my usually on time (HAHA not!) anime posts. XD The highs, the lows, and everything X__X. Ah yes the Olympics. The time where we all are supposed to come together as one big happy family but then we realize why we only get together every 4 years. XD
Photobucket
One of these outfits are not like the others...
I think I already talked about what I thought of the Opening Ceremonies. Even if 2008 Beijing didn't exist. But the Closing Ceremonies. What a hot, hot mess. Did ya'll see it?! It was just a long parade of any famous singer/bands that Great Britain has churned out in the past 40 years. Yes folks 40 years. I saw some teenage band sing a few lines but other than the Spice Girls it looked like the retirement homes were hit really hard. It felt more like a concert than a cohesive farewell to the Olympics. I thought Rio de Janeiro did a much better job with their segment.

I think NBC and Bob Costa did a horrible job with...well almost everything. I understand the time difference. I really do. I didn't expect much in terms of live events. I did expect there to be more sports and less commercials. I mean come on how many more inspirational stories do I have to see? People who run less than 2 minutes in the Olympics and their inspirational segments lasted longer than their events. And it just appeared that these stories were just stock piled in case someone fell in the rating. Michael Phelps doesn't do well in his first event? Well come on in and show stuff of our back up boy Ryan Lochte. I think that while knowing the athletics is nice these segments shouldn't last longer than the events themselves. And I could have done without the random War World II segments.

I just felt as a whole the professional commentators and the people at NBC were downright negative this year. Instead of talking about how amazing it was that Gabby and Aly made it to the all around it was POOR Jordyn. Like seriously Aly had just made it and all the cameras were focusing on a teenage girl brush back tears. And everyone was acting like something was stolen from her. THEN in the team finals they were talking about how Jordyn pulled it together and her team helped win HER a medal. Just what the hell is that all about? Between that nonsense, NBC briefly throwing Michael Phelps to the wolves (can you tell I am not on Team Lochte?), and trying to manufacture drama with the hurdlers....just not impressed. Not impressed at all.

While I think that the event line up could have been better (did we really have to see EVERY SINGLE VOLLEYBALL MATCH) I think I came away with a well rounded experience. Well as well rounded as watching TV can be. I watched a variety of sports but some I enjoyed more than others. I saw a few minutes of ping pong, most of gymnastics, and a lot of other events with different amount of time invested in them. And the first week of the Olympics I had several channels in which I could watch so if things got boring I could easily find something else to watch.

Worst sport? Hands down has to be Rhythmic Gymnastics. With Speed Walking a close second. So much second hand embarrassment on these two sports. One could argue that I am not athletic at all and thus I have no room to make fun of anyone but still. When the commentators are talking about how great the smiles are of the athletes you know you got a boring sport.
Photobucket
I might be strikin a pose but at least I'm not Ryan Lochte?
Least favorite athlete? Well we got our Ryan Lochte. Do I need to say more? Aliya Mustafina was a sore winner AND a sore loser which is hard to accomplish. I am on the fence with Usain Bolt though. Yes he is a bit of a showoff but at least he can back it up right? Maybe just play down the WOOHOO I am the best factor until you get home though.

Favorite moment of the Olympics? Probably Kirani James winning Grenada's first Olympic medal. The entire crowd was excited, he was overjoyed, and it just felt like a feel good moment. XD A sucker for a feel good story.

Once again I become a pro at every sport I was watching. Which was hard to do since the commentators were spending so much time bashing people instead of explaining the sport we were seeing. But I was all like OH SNAP that was a bit splash or OH that is a .10 deduction jump. XD Such a pro.
Photobucket
Everyone is pointing so I thought I would too!
Overall the Olympics are fun to watch. Yes things could have gone better but there were so many more fun and inspirational moments than snarky ones. I love the way Carmelita Jeter pointed at the score board as they set a new world record. I love the fact that mountain biking is a sport and baseball got kicked to the curb. XD Just so funny. I love how most athletes were able to set aside their countries own political problems and celebrate with fellow athletes. Yes there are always bad sports and way too many technical times outs, that really take away from the action. But overall it is was a positive experience.

I know I am forgetting a lot. Well not forgetting but this might become a million word post. I felt bad when people fell but cheered when someone finally got a medal after many attempts. I smiled when I saw proud parents and those giant rings hanging on the bridge. And now it is all over. At least we have our memories and the knowledge...HEY this will happen again in 4 years. XD For now...time to go back to being a couch potato.

No comments: