Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The silver lining outweighs the clouds today

Today was a great day. By all accounts it really should have been considered a pretty sucky one. It rained nonstop, slow people refused to do the speed limits at all, and everyone and their mother called in for deliveries which cased me to spend lots of time with the rain and slow drivers. I spent most of the day soaked wet and strangely very thirsty. Yet it was a good day.

So why was it a good day? Today was the day that three years ago I got married to my best friend on the planet. That fact alone made the day special even though I was tired, wet, and nearly killed by half the population on the road.




Some people scoff at the fact that a wedding day can be the happiest days in someone's life. I am not one of those people. I think that my wedding day was/will be the happiest day of my life. It was the day I pledged myself to my husband in front of all the important people in my life. Every day after this day I get to live with and love my best friend. It was the beginning of all the future happiness I will experience with this man so it is only natural that all this future happiness is dependent on our wedding day.

This day three years ago I was a nervous wreck and beyond happy. I was told later that my husband was excited yet nervous the entire time he was waiting for the ceremony to start (and yes I was late to my own wedding, but not by much all considering). I remember walking down the isle and having my soon to be husband meet me half way. It is hard to remember the vows we exchanged (which I had to fight tooth and nail since our officiant was against them for some reason) because I kept smiling and looking into his lovely face. I remember everyone clapping as we were announced man and wife. I remember the great food and the happy times at the reception. Things went wrong and not everything went according to plan but none of that mattered. As long as I got married that day everything else was of second importance.

This day two years ago we got another member added to our little family. I was getting ready for what I thought would be our night out celebrating our first anniversary. I heard my husband come home from work and my cat greet him in a whiny way. Only...it didn't sound like my cat. I walked into the living room to see a brand new baby kitten staring curiously at me from her carrier. After the squealing and the 497907 picture taken our new kitten bonded to us very quickly and became an important part of our family. She is the best gift I have ever received from my husband.

This day one year we were all sitting on the couch relaxing. The grown cat cuddled at the end pretending to hate our guts but still reaching for pets. The not so little kitten was cuddled between us because all the attention should be on her. What made this anniversary special was we were spending it in our brand new house. After almost two years living with an elephant for a neighbor and a constant fight for parking spots we finally owned a bit of something for our own. Even though most couples eventually end up owning their own place it still felt like a special moment for us.

Today we both called each other periodically while at work. I timed it out so that I could wish my husband a happy anniversary at the exact moment we said "I Do" three years ago. We exchanged gifts (which I will post later because XD I must spread the nendoroid love). We watched as our fat adult cat was more interested in attacking the box the gifts came in rather than the gift itself. We ate at a place most people would consider casual dinning but it's special to us. For when we first started dating over 8 years ago 15 dollars a meal was pretty pricey for teenagers. It felt special and grown-up then and we like reliving those moments on special occasions. We gently teased each other and shared inside jokes that would have everyone else raising their eyebrows. We both laughed at the movies when the man behind us was VIGOROUSLY cheering on Wolverine in each and every scene.

Our day was simple and our activities pretty typical but they are special to us. At the end of this day I smiled and thought about how lovely it will be next year to celebrate our 4th wedding anniversary, then the next one and the next one. The past three years have had their shares of ups and downs but overall we have been happy. And I look forward to many more years of happiness with this goofy man I love.

Thank you for reading my simple thoughts and feelings about what could have been a bad day. Perhaps if I viewed everyday as special I could stop sweating the small stuff and focus more on the happy life I do have. But yes, thank you for reading about my mushy life. XD



No comments: