Monday, July 2, 2012

Hyouka episode 11: Mystery wrapped up!

Being an adult is no fun folks. What are these crazy things called bills?! Don’t they know they are seriously cutting into my fun money? How am I supposed to own every single nendoroid, Disney pin, and Harajuku Lovers purse if I have to pay for car insurance, health insurance, and other boring stuff?! BLEH! Of course I am happy I at least have a job and can afford to be alive….but maybe I miss those carefree days of living at home/in an apartment and having TONS of disposable cash. Wait maybe I don’t miss those days…..
Photobucket
Houtarou is getting deep on us folks!
But speaking of people who still live at home and apparently have tons of money to spend on fancy tea house dates…Hyouka episode 11! The last part of the movie mystery folks! Spoilers for Houtarou making some interesting faces.
Photobucket
And what exactly was your idea again? Oh yes...you never had one!
Episode Summary: Mayaka explains her concerns about the movie to Houtarou. While she thinks the ending was good it didn’t match all the clues and of course who could forgot about the rope?! Well Houtarou did but he brushes that aside as unimportant. The more Mayaka talks the more upset Houtarou seems so she runs away to the Manga Society. Houtarou becomes deep in thought, thinking if he did something wrong when Satoshi runs up. He too says the ending was interesting but it was Houtarou’s ending, not Hongou’s. Satoshi explains that based on the books the amateur Hongou was using there was no way she would know how to use that kind of perspective. Houtarou tries to argue there is no way to know what other books Hongou read but even he doesn’t believe that answer. Feeling beat up Houtarou tries to walk home but Eru stops him and wants to talk about the movie. She explains from the start it has appeared WEIRD that no one talked to Hongou about the ending of the movie. Houtarou goes home, determined to conserve energy since the movie is already done. Yet everything starts eating away at him and he tries to see the movie from all different angles. Soon after all this thinking Houtarou confronts Irisu. She wants to celebrate with him and the others but instead he wants to talk with her.
Photobucket
So it turns out...the movie never made any sense. I see then.
At the tea house place Houtarou explains that Hongou notes were about the mysteries in terms of death counts. That she marked the one favorably that had no deaths and she voted in the class poll that there would be no deaths. But everyone else in the poll wanted at least one death. So when Hongou viewed the partially finished movie she was upset it wasn’t going the way she vision but felt bad she ignored the poll results. So Irisu suggested that Hongou fake being sick and she would handle everything. So what she really wanted Houtarou to do was write the ending of the movie, not figure out the mystery. Houtarou feels lied to and Irisu said that was not her intent. Houtarou walks home all weird and dejected. Irisu talks to Hongou online, the “sick” girl thanking Irisu. Irisu then talks to Houtarou’s sister who has deducted it was really Irisu who thought the originally script was boring and did this all to protect Hongou. Irisu is a bit shocked at her figuring this out. The next day Houtarou explains to Eru the original script was to have the rock climbing girl simply cut the victim but for him to cover for her and lock the door himself. Well since that doesn’t make sense Eru and Houtarou decide that Hongou just was trying to make a mystery without a death and that she didn’t think that far in advance. Eru is just happy to understand Hongou and Houtarou is like finally I can go to sleep? THE END!
Photobucket
Sometimes it is hard to edit yourself out of the creative process.
X___X I do not think I was expecting that. I say think because really I probably should have. At least part of it anyway. Maybe I should explain myself better. XD
Photobucket
Hide the booze chocolates. I don't want to be like Eru!
But before I explain myself… how crazy is it that Eru was on the same page as me?! That she was focused on the Hongou aspect of the insanity rather than the movie? Does that make her amazingly smart or me insane? I am starting to think that I am insane but…since we turned out to be right we can be insane AND amazing yes? Just thought it was funny. Or special.
Photobucket
But you are wrong! Wrong wrong wrong!
Mayaka was only the first of the Classic Club to voice her concerns. I thought Eru was going to have more to say on the matter but I didn’t think it was going to be all three of them. X___X Like damn everyone….just run over Houtarou and crush his little spirit why don’t you?! I mean they were all right and I guess they were as gentle as they possible could be (in their own dramatic way) but MAN. I felt bad for Houtarou. Mayaka was probably on the low end of the critical thinking skills with the whole MOG where was the rope. Something I forgot about or filed away as unimportant like Houtarou.
Photobucket
Err...wouldn't have thought of that....
Satoshi and his theory/reason I would have never thought of. These kids are just amazing or I am stupid. XD But yes I would never have thought about the type of books Hongou was looking at as a key to the mystery. Holmes verses Christie? Um which one has zombies and killer giant snakes in them? Go Satoshi for….using his brain.
Photobucket
Why that the most obvious part of the show?! XO Where is Hongou?!
Eru and her dramatic self (well they were all dramatic weren’t they?) by the river probably had the most…intense reaction to the movie. Which everyone seemed to like. All the Classic Club liked the movie but agreed it was not what Hongou was going for and it was a Houtarou type deal. Eru made sure to make that point clear a few times. It is just that Eru decided she knew Hongou for some reason and wanted the movie to be her vision.


But yes Eru. Is it ODD that no one knew the ending of the movie besides Hongou? That she is laying dead in bed somewhere and unable to talk? Oh wait she isn’t? Then why isn’t anyone sending her ass a text and asking what is going on?! Very suspicious indeed. We get a cookie for thinking about that part of the mystery. I don’t think I would have focused that much on the randomly weird best friend but we still were right!
Photobucket
Well apparently you were supposed to solve this mystery yourself.
As I said earlier it was a bit sad to see Houtarou have to walk around the school to hear from his friends about how wrong he was. And he blamed himself. Well folks…maybe those people shouldn’t have been drunk, busy, or stupid. If they had been in there coming up with ideas maybe things wouldn’t have turned out this way. Not that anyone said his movie was boring…it was just wrong. Poor Houtarou. I think he thought those were the same things. Just this is why having different perspectives is important.
Photobucket
Dance puppets dance!
Houtarou contacted Irisu because he figured things out. While Houtarou is pretty smart and puts all the tiny pieces of the puzzle together I think he assumed a few things. Turns out he was right but I don’t know….Did he assume that Hongou was the vote for the zero deaths because of her chart? Hmmm maybe I am wrong. See even my blog helps me understand things.
Photobucket
Then why did everyone pick her to write the script?! And why did she say yes!?
OKAY! So the point is… Irisu is amazing. Best character ever. I wish I could be her but I am more the WFT THIS IS CRAP kind of girl. I mean she came across as ruthless but deep down she was being nice right? There was just so many different levels of her manipulation and planning. She probably knew off the bat that Hongou’s script was beyond boring. This is the part that makes no sense to me, why they started filming before the script was finished, but I doubt that will be explained…ever so moving on. Now Irisu is really too nice. She should have told Hongou this sucks and is all your fault for not listening to the poll. FIRED!
Photobucket
Well when you explain it like that...Hongou was in the wrong.
Instead Irisu decides to let the crew film the movie wrong knowing that Hongou would see the progress (why the heck wasn’t she there X___X) and feel bad/Japanese about how wrong everyone was but would say nothing. Irisu would then come in and say….pretend to be sick and I will fix this all! Then she asked three members of the class to come up with “theories” to present to Houtarou so he could become the actual script writer. Someone who now was expecting a murder mystery and not the gentle slash and forgive crap Hongou was thinking. I mean how amazing is that all?
Photobucket
If my explanations were this elaborate...I would probably be institutionalized. But fun to watch!
Well it isn’t so amazing that Houtarou and everyone needed to have the most dramatic expressions EVER (looking at you Haruyuki!) but still a lot more complicated than poor sick girl and who donit mystery. Some of the elements to this mystery were probably lost on me because I am not Japanese. I would have never thought of such an elaborate scheme to save hurt feelings. But this is a Japanese anime and thus the Japanese understand these gentle yet round about ways to spare people.
Photobucket
Someone is taking this really hard.
I don’t think Houtarou was spared much though. I think his ego took a hit or something. He had just gotten used to be complimented and then he thought he was used? I think Irisu never meant to hurt Houtarou…obviously. And she probably did mean what she said about his abilities. But I can understand why he might feel a little off. Still he managed to pull it together to tell Eru about all this drama. So they can bond over poor Hongou and Irisu being special.
Photobucket
Is everyone in Houtarou's family super problem solving detectives?
While we will never know why the attack happened…one more mystery was revealed. At the beginning of this arc there was a series of text messages and instant messages. I thought there was more than two people involved and I was right. Hongou was talking to Irisu but Irisu was also talking to….Houtarou’s sister!!! Didn’t see that one coming! XD Amazing how she can manipulate him so well.


In case it wasn’t obvious I really enjoyed the last 4 episodes. Maybe because I like those kind of movies. XD Which makes me a little more forgiving when there were over the top expressions. Houtarou’s brain must be tired. Well he needs to get a good night sleep so the next arc is just as good. XD

1 comment:

azureshimakaze said...

THANK YOU for summarizing this episode.. although it's my second time watching hyouka I still found that this episode was quite confusing.. I sometimes feel the need to pause animes and think what the he hell is going on.. especially hyouka which has loads of detective work.. Well.. I'll have to say though.. i didnt like the ending of the episode..I prefer houtarou's ending. Hongou's ending felt incomplete (we will never know the reason why the victim was injured, and that created the "bad aftertaste" that they were talking about in ep10) ..

Oh well.. I hope you read this (it's 2016!! But yeah) or something.. because....... Well maybe because I wanted to thank you this much?