Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Kobato Episode 15

This episode was great in my eyes because of one tiny scene. That seems to be a common occurrence for me and this anime. I probably shouldn't rely on the manga so much to make the anime enjoyable. But it is hard to put aside the manga when watching the (relatively) same story. So when elements of the manga come to play in the anime I get excited and happy. Because I am a nerd.

Photobucket

I should change my clothes? More than three outfits you say?

But Kobato needs to stop wearing the same outfit three episodes in a row.

No more random comments! Onto the show!





Photobucket

No no, I'm fine. Fainting is no big deal.

Sayaka gets overworked in this episode and collapses. That is like….90 percent of this episode so I think this blog post will be short. I think the sickness/fainting would have been more dramatic if there had been more mention of THE ISSUE/phone calls/loan sharkness but alas that is not the case. But since the threats and phone calls have been very few and far between (not to mention not existent lately) the moment was not as sad/scary as it could have been. Sure we have seen Sayaka looking sad at her budget book time to time and we know Fujimoto is working hard to make money but the emphasize has not been on THE ISSUE.

Photobucket

I have no words....for any of this.

But Sayaka passing out was still scary for Kobato. Please be nice to her Fujimoto.
Sayaka decides that she doesn’t need to go to the hospital and for some reason Fujimoto doesn’t force her to go. This gives Shuichiro the chance to further along this WISH is taking over Kobato storyline. Shuichiro looked so massively weird in this episode. And Kohaku needs to eat about 589678976 honey sandwiches. But that is beside the point. Mr. Doctor arrived to tell us that Sayaka is suffering from…fatigue and malnutrition. Truly I am shocked.

Photobucket

Can I stab him just a little bit?

Sayaka is told to stay in bed and Kobato wants to watch over her. Fujimoto decides to be a butt munch and tells Kobato to leave the room. Hello Mr. Fujimoto. You are not exactly paying Kobato to work at the nursery. So if she wants to take care of the sick person she is allowed to. Or and you’re welcome that she went and got the doctor.

Photobucket

Teach me your ways young one.

Kobato decides that she will make paper cranes with the kids to help heal Sayaka. She received the origami paper from Chitose earlier and had no idea what it was used for. So it was cute watching her make the cranes and be all silly despite the serious mood. Even Fujimoto couldn’t deny that.

Photobucket

Look at me being all broody and emo.

Fujimoto deals with Sayaka’s illness by being a butthead, trying to juggle the kids, school, and work, and generally not knowing how he feels about Kobato. He is all over the place with his emotions. He really needs to stop with the look at me I am picking on Kobato bit. I get he is stressed with everything but leave the poor girl alone.

Kobato returns to the nursery after being taught by Chiho and Chise how to make rice gruel. Chicken noodle soup for me please? Anyway she tries to make the meal at the nursery and the near fire gets Fujimoto’s attention. There he hates on her a bit and that is when the scene happens!

Earlier in the episode when Sayaka woke up Kobato almost started crying over the thought of Sayaka dying. Granted Sayaka should not have said that to someone as sensitive to Kobato but I will give her a break she since she did just pass out.

Photobucket

What does this mean?!?!?!?!

Later when Kobato talks to Ioryogi he comments that he thinks Kobato is getting her memories back. Now this is a comment that has not been said (yet) in the manga. This got me really interested. If the series does end in 24 episodes they would have to start spinning together who/what Kobato is now and they don’t have enough pieces to do that with the manga information. So I am interested in seeing how this all gets spun.

Photobucket

People can die that easily! My poor sad Kobato. :(

So Kobato is watching Fujimoto making the gruel and he comments to Kobato that people do not die that easily and to not worry so. He was actually trying to pick on her again but oh boy!!! In the manga the scenario was much much different to get this reaction from Kobato but I think it works slightly better in the anime. The manga includes much more the loan shark plot so the scene involves someone else getting hurt. But since it is Sayaka this time it really feels genuine and hits close to home.

Photobucket

Yes you crossed a line jerk!

In any event Fujimoto says that Sayaka will be fine and the flood gate is opened. Kobato cries harder and says that even small things can kill people, that it can happen. Fujimoto is a little shocked by that remark and asks if that happened to Kobato. She is unable to answer and just clings to Fujimoto. So yes someone is Kobato’s past has died from something small and we can assume this has something to do with her wish. Now since we know people can’t be brought back in the CLAMP universe I think the wish will have something to do with going back in time to say good bye or something.

Photobucket

Could you hug her at least.....

But this scene was so so sad. I am glad it happened but I am sad for my little Kobato. :( The cute happy anime shall take a sad turn soon.

Photobucket

Who could this stranger be?!

The rest of the episode is pretty straight forward. Sayaka eats the gruel, Fujimoto and Kobato quarrel a little, and Sayaka gets better. Ioryogi tries to point out (again) that Kobato isn’t the one who is supposed to be healed but I am not sure how much she was listening. The next day Sayaka is well and in the shadows lurks THE ISSUE, nice and pressed in his expensive suit. Yay for progress.

Photobucket

I tried my best....

So while much didn’t happen in this episode I was extremely happy. Not just because of Kobato’s confession of losing a loved one but how things are slowly coming together. Keep up this pace please! No more filler friends. It is time to get into the meat of the series.




No comments: