Saturday, March 14, 2009

Clannad After Story Episode 22: More Tears for Everyone!

The end of Clannad is upon us! (sort of). After I got done drying my eyes I decides to blog about this episode. It took a little while since I went...a little screenie crazy. But everyone likes pictures right?!

Photobucket

Nagisa looks down upon my screenies :(

So as before...Do not ruin this episode for yourself. Watch it first, then read my happy little blog. XD But if you must...I hold no responsibility for spoiling the entire episode for you. Proceed with caution before clicking read more!



Photobucket

Everyone is all up in the snow and dying!

The girl in the hidden world is half covered in snow and doesn’t look like she can get up. The robot man holds her hand and thinks about how he has always been with her. There are flashes of Tomoya looking at Nagisa on the hill…and whether or not he should call out to her. She turns and starts to leave, Tomoya thinking it will all be better if she never met him. In the hidden world the robot tries to pull on the girl, not wanting her to die in the snow and it to end so sadly. The girl starts talking to the robot man in his mind and happy to hear his voice. She explains that she understands everything now and will explain things before she is no longer a person. She reveals that she and the robot man exist in another place, a happier place. The girl became this world to protect the happiness orbs the robot man was gathering in the other world. She tells him the robot man has to leave alone, back to the other world to meet lots of people and experience highs and lows. Robot man wants the girl to go with him, but she can’t as she IS the world and must stay here to protect everything so perhaps a miracle can happen. She promises that they will meet again as the dango song starts playing and light fills the world. She starts to glow and slightly float as the robot man falls apart and his head is barely hanging on x_X. She bids her father goodbye as she dissolves into lights and he breaks into many pieces.

Photobucket

Call out to her NOW!

Suddenly Tomoya looks up, shocked and filled with too many emotions to handle. He turns around and shouts to Nagisa. She doesn’t respond to him so he runs up to her and holds her tight. He starts to cry as she smiles. She says that she is glad he called out to her as she was worried he thought it would be best if they never met. She tells Tomoya no matter how sad things get she doesn’t regret meeting him and hopes he feels the same way too. He cries and says he does…and keeps on holding her tight. Then a blob like entity flies around the town in a slow manner…and we are back in the room as Nagisa gives birth. Tomoya holds Nagisa’s hands as she is about to die…but she doesn’t. She opens her eyes and asks what is wrong? Tomoya smiles and says nothing as he strokes her hand lovingly. The midwife tells the happy couple that Nagisa and the baby are both okay. Tomoya then gets his first task as a father and gives the VERY pink Ushio a bath. It is very stressful. As Tomoya talks on and on about how special Ushio is Nagisa notices how pretty it looks outside. Tomoya looks (with baby Ushio in his hands) and it isn’t snow…but the happiness orbs. Nagisa and Tomoya sing the dango song while talk about the town’s happiness is discussed and how the town reacts to the people’s hearts. Everything is happy and sparkly.

Photobucket

I NEED THIS HAPPINESS!

Then Tomoya and Nagisa raise their Ushio together and many cute moments attack my screen! Ushio learning to walk, petting a dog, celebrating her 3rd birthday Japanese style, a birthday party, learning how to play baseball, and finally her first day of school. The entire family visits the field of flowers and Ushio has the time of her life with both her parents watching her. Then there is a little montage of all their friends and how wonderful their lives have turned out. Tomoya, Nagisa, and Ushio go and visit Tomoya’s grandmother and his father (I believe). There is a brief scene of a baby Tomoya walking in that field of flowers with his father and all is cute. Then…Fuko and her sister are walking to the hospital so Fuko can have a check-up. Fuko decides that she is an adult and lies on the ground having a tantrum. She doesn’t want a check up because she is better in her mind. Kouko insists and on they go. Along the way Fuko tries talking more like an adult and decides she smells someone cute. This goes on for quite a while. But finally Fuko runs off right before she gets to the hospital. She tells the cute person to wait, that she will find her. Under a tree sleeps the girl from the hidden world, but at a second glance it is baby Ushio. Fuko finds her..THE END!

Photobucket

And they all lived happily ever after!

:( The end has really come from Clannad. ..Even though there is another episode left, the core series is over. And as much as I wanted to see the ending of this fabulous series, it’s still sad that it is all over. :(

Despite several bloggers and hordes of forum threads speculating we were going to get the bitter sweet ending, we didn’t. I am not even sure WHAT the bitter sweet ending would be as I never played the game. But from the moment I found spoiled everything about the game for myself I was hoping and praying for the happy ending.

Photobucket

Happy with the simple things in life=win.

At first I just wanted a happy ending because…Nagisa and Tomoya were a cute happy couple…and I tend to want happy endings for most animes I watch. The bad guy is defeated, the world is saved, and the guy gets the girl (or vice versa…or even the guy gets the guy).

Photobucket

How is that not overwhelmingly cute?!

But as the series progressed…I wanted a happy ending almost solely because of Tomoya. I wanted him to be happy. Sorry Mrs. Nagisa…but Tomoya’s happiness was more important to me than your life. But not by much because I am not that cruel. And since Tomoya had moved on from wanting Nagisa back and only asked for Nagisa to save Ushio…I thought that would be his happy ending. I would have been satisfied with the orbs performing that kind of miracle if that made Tomoya happy.

Photobucket

NO MORE CRYING!

With that said…I am still a sucker for a COMPLETE happy ending. Nagisa deserved to raise her kid and I wanted to see them all be a happy family together. After all the pain everyone went through…it was time to let viewers dry their eyes and watch everyone live happily ever after.

Photobucket

If only you knew....

For those not familiar with the game play and didn’t spoil it for themselves (like me) the other/hidden world was finally explained. But then not really explained. It probably could have been made clearer with some points but most things could be implied or picked up on. Perhaps if more of the episode was dedicated to explaining this issue and not focusing on another character so much it would have been clearer.

Photobucket

Of course you have....

But yes. Ushio was the girl in the other world and Tomoya was the robot/trash man. Ushio…became a little obvious after time but Tomoya not so much. And I feel as if Ushio BEING the entire world was a bit too special. I would have liked it more if Tomoya and Ushio kept returning to a world just for them…but I guess it is kind of special that Ushio wanted to save her family so much she was able to create a world…become a world.

Photobucket

Weird how the daughter is saving the father (and mother).

Ushio dying in the real world caused her persona to collapse and hover close to death in the hidden world. Both Tomoyas were helpless and could only watch as their special person suffer. Then hidden world Ushio explained everything to hidden world Tomoya, that they both exist in a different world, that Ushio must stay in this place to collect the happiness orbs, and that Tomoya must leave this place and help others find their happiness. Hidden world Ushio promises that she will meet Tomoya again.

Then robot man falls apart. X_X This part of the episode was a little…much for me. I know it was just a robot and the important part of Tomoya was his consciousness, not the nuts and bolts holding him together. The hidden world starts to fall apart…fill with light…and Ushio explodes. X_X Of course it’s not really an explosion but…it came off as very powerful anyway. I knew Ushio had to…err explode but the way she exploded was well…much again.

Photobucket

Just...too Scifi for me x_X


Photobucket

The explody killed my screenie!

And then we return to the very first scene in the entire series. Tomoya gains the knowledge of the robot man and or his future self and he realizes what he will lose if he doesn’t call out to Nagisa. He runs after her and holds her for all he’s worth. And then he cries…so I cry too.

Photobucket

RUN NOW!

The part that confused me a bit was Nagisa KNEW what Tomoya was thinking, that she was also aware of the future and that Tomoya didn’t want to experience that kind of pain. I understand Tomoya being aware of this magic but I am not sure WHY Nagisa did.

Photobucket

Who needs details when you are that cute?!

But if she hadn’t…we would have heard her convince Tomoya that she wanted everything the future held, the good and the bad. She says this all with a smile while Tomoya cries. That has happened often in this series, Tomoya crying while Nagisa puts on a brave face. So whether or not it makes sense that Nagisa KNOWS what is going on….I like how they both decide that it is better that they are together for a little while then never know each other at all.

Photobucket

Dang right she is!

And of course I cried more when Tomoya kept touching Nagisa. I mean…I guess I was hoping too much for a kiss, but Tomoya was still very romantic and loving. I love how he kissed her hands and kept holding her close, as if he couldn’t get enough of her. He might not have been as affectionate the rest of the series but he more than made up for it now.

Photobucket

The most romantic gesture of the entire series!

THEN OUR MIRACLE!!! Tomoya is back during the delivery and is holding Nagisa’s hand as she dies. BUT SHE DOESN’T! She looks up at Tomoya and gives him the WTF are you crying about face? Instead of being extremely overwhelmed, Tomoya just smiles happily. As if he thinks the entire last 7 episodes were just in his mind and this is his only reality. The moment passes without much mention of the miracle at all.

Photobucket

It's all going to be okay! Just like they deserved!

The only thing that seems out of the ordinary is the special SNOW outside the apartment. Tomoya ALMOST vocalizes what he thinks they are…but instead spends time with his family instead.

Photobucket

Just...be happy and don't think about it too much XD

Some people may think this ending is too happy and a magical do over makes everything we have gone through the last half of After Story meaningless. I can see what they are coming from…but I am still happy. This is anime; I want a magical ending where everyone is happy. Especially this little family who has had it rough from the start. I rather focus the magic on Tomoya himself than the town but meh. I can deal.

Photobucket

After all that pain and hurt...Tomoya gets a fresh start at doing things right!

Watching Ushio grow up with both her parents was nearly too cute for my eyes to handle. I also enjoy Tomoya not aging so fast and looking so ragged but that is a different story. This is the childhood that Ushio deserved! The only thing that could have made it better was to have a scene that had Ushio and Nagisa waiting for Daddy to come home from work. Other than that I am pretty satisfied with the cuteness.

Photobucket

YAY FOR PUPPIES!


Photobucket

*dies from cuteness*


Photobucket

Time for cake!


Photobucket

Second best screenie in the entire bunch.

What I am NOT happy with is how all the other characters were given like a whole 3 second follow up. Like HEY here is everyone else, they are still alive THAT IS ALL! Seriously, do we even know what Sunohara, Tomoyo, and Kotomi are DOING with their lives? I felt that more time could have been spent on all their friends and loved ones. You know, perhaps in one of Ushio’s scenes the whole gang could get together and celebrate an important milestone or something.

Photobucket

Not too much changed with her.


Photobucket

Not really digging the uniform.


Photobucket

This tells me...what?


Photobucket

MOG! SOMEONE AGED IN THIS SHOW!?


Photobucket

Random moment is random.


Photobucket

AS long as she's happy x_X I guess.


Photobucket

She sweeps...A LOT x_X The only one without a happy ending...and it involves an animal again...

And I wanted to be excited to see Kotomi again. But all I get was her looking cool driving down some random street. Like that means something to me. And Tomoyo…looking out at the ocean? Yeah, what is that supposed to mean? I know these characters all had to grow up and live separate lives…but I still wanted them to be friends and have SOME connection! I am slightly disappointed.

Photobucket

BUT I LOVE YOU FOREVER KOTOMI!

And this all could have been avoided if they dropped most of Fuko’s scenes. I mean..I wanted her to come back and enjoy her crazy antics again. But devoting 6 minutes of the final episode to her acting weird…when everyone else was neglected was bleh. A lot of bleh.

Photobucket

I'm sorry...but you took up a LOT of time.

Most of her walking to the hospital was special and any other time I would have enjoyed most of it. I mean….repeating a conversation three times got to be too much but whatever. I did enjoy her little I am a ruined girl and her flopping around like a dead fish. But this could have been condensed to maybe 2 minutes and the other time focused on all the other friends stopping by for a visit.

Photobucket

Totally ruined forever and ever!

I am not sure why it was so crucial to see Ushio sleeping in the woods. It was made perfectly clear that Ushio was the girl in the other world and I am not sure why it was important that Fuko find her. I guess it was a touching way to end the series, but I think it would have been cuter to have Ushio hold one of the plushies or sing the song or something.

Photobucket

Random moment seems random.

Personally I think that this episode would have been better had it been showed at the same time as the last episode. An hour special might have been more emotional than waiting a week to see the conclusion. It lost some of its impact not being viewed at the same time. The ending was still good and I got what I wanted out of it…but something was missing and I am not sure what it is.

Photobucket

The romance was great though!

Overall I think the episode would have been stronger had the hidden world been explained more and everyone getting more air time. But I think Tomoya was portrayed wonderfully and all the cute scenes with Ushio made me happy. So again, I am happy but it could have been an A plus and not just an A.

I will talk more about how I feel about the entire series in the last episode…which is surprising to me. I thought we were going to see another girl get a chance with Tomoya (Like Tomoyo’s episode at the end of the first season) but I guess we are going to getting episode 1 from Nagisa’s perceptive. It should be interesting…maybe. I will see.

I hope everyone enjoyed this series as much as I did. Even if you thought the ending should have been different I hope you could appreciate what they did give us. XD That and I hope you didn’t drown yourself in happy tears. Thanks for reading!

Photobucket

NO! It can't be over!!!!!





1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.