Saturday, November 28, 2009

Merry Thanksgiving?

On Thanksgiving (Happy Thanksgiving by the way) most people take the time to voice what they are truly thankful for and most lists tend to be the same. Health, family members, God (or your deity of choice), a job, the lack of being dead, ect. I am thankful for my husband not being in Iraq and my friend who is in Iraq is still safe. Pretty run of the mill stuff.

I am also thankful that I didn’t have to work Black Friday.




First of all I am going to acknowledge how sad this post is (thus the MERRY Thanksgiving title and not Happy Thanksgiving). Every year it seems that Thanksgiving gets less and less attention. I know the Christmas crap starts filling the stores even before Halloween is over but I think Halloween gets a decent amount of attention. Thanksgiving does not.

Photobucket

Take the time to enjoy my deliciousness!

Thanksgiving is supposed to be time where the kids come home from college and families that are separated all over the country (world) come together and just enjoy being in the same house again. It’s supposed to be a time where generations of people come together and create a huge meal for everyone to enjoy. It is suppose to be a time where stories are shared and maybe a football game or two is watched. At the very least it should be a time where someone embarrasses the hell out of themselves so it will be a great story for next Thanksgiving.

That is no longer the case. Thanksgiving is just the day before Black Friday now. The once great feast has been put aside and in its place are huge sales and long lines. The meal is being pushed back earlier in the day now so shoppers can get in power naps before the big day. Who needs to spend time with the little kids when there are deals out there to be had? And now that stores are staying opened all night/opening on Thanksgiving it is a constant battle of the savings! It is not time for turkey but coffee when you are standing outside in lines two hours before the stores open!

Photobucket

Yeah this looks like fun...

I’m not going to lie. I went shopping on Black Friday. However I will no longer go as EARLY as I did this year. Part of the reason is because I spent most of Saturday sleeping and being zombie. But the other part is that the savings aren’t worth it to me. I don’t have kids and quite frankly I buy all year round for people.

But I do see the lure for some people. A 200 dollar discount on a 400 dollar TV is a pretty good reason to get out of bed at 3 am. And for some families Christmas is for the kids and when you are shopping for multiple kids saving every dollar is important. Still those discounts shouldn’t come at the expense at spending time with your family on a holiday.

BUT if you are going to cut Thanksgiving in half and spend most of your time getting deals do so for your family. Wait two hours in line so you can get that cool awesome toy or new gadgets. Don’t become a person who sees this occasion as a way to get rich (unless you actually work at the store which is kinda the point).

Photobucket

WTF are these things and why are they so popular?!

What I mean is I saw countless people stocking up on items to sell them on E-Bay. I saw one woman buy three giant ride on pony things (like I said I don’t have kids so I am unsure of the right name). Personally I thought the toy was ugly as sin but it was on sale for $99 and it retails for $299. But some people are going out and buying them all to sell them on E-Bay for $100-$200 profit. Now…nothing is illegal about this and perhaps they have a smart idea but it leaves a really bad taste in my mouth. It’s Christmas. People should be braving the elements for presents for their families not to turn a profit on E-Bay. Let someone else who waited just as long in line get a chance at the deals. It just seems really selfish to me.

So besides this crazy buying out the store so I can make $$$$ people need to start following the rules! Line cutting was low this year due to the fact that everyone was trying to get somewhere else as fast as possible so no one, not even granny, was going to line jump. But since everyone was in a hurry the other rules didn’t apply. People were stealing other people’s carts because they wanted to rush in the store without on and grab the door buster stuff before the slow cart people. Cups of coffee were left abandoned everywhere because finding a trashcan would take 5 whole seconds! People at Wal-Mart (and probably at a lot of other stores) were pushing around staff to get the deals. They were cutting open pallets that were meant for 5 o clock sales at 2. The stores can only have so many people guarding the items and 2 against 50 aren’t very great odds. And don’t get me started on the parking situation.

And all the people who dragged out their babies (like 2 and under) to stand in line at ToysRUs at 10 pm til 2 am….you suck. Nothing is worth putting your kids through Black Friday. Black Friday is for crazy adults and their able bodied teenage offspring.

The people who complain about lines amuse. I was slightly ticked off at them first but now I find the entire “MOG THE LINE IS SO LONG” thing really, really funny.

So what I guess I am trying to say is that Thanksgiving deserves its own special day. It shouldn’t just be a stepping stone for the next holiday. It shouldn’t be spent at Old Navy or Big Lots or McDonalds. People should take that day to think about what is important in their life and be with those said important people. It shouldn’t be spent in line waiting for stores to open or spent sleeping because they have to get to work at 2 am.

I hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving despite all the craziness put on the day after it. Maybe one day when the economy is better and people aren’t thinking with their wallets Thanksgiving will once again be that day where people come together and eat turkey and get annoyed at each other. Until then bring a snack, a jacket, and possibly a taser because Black Friday is going to be a bumpy ride.




No comments: