Wednesday, October 22, 2008

What do you mean you're not voting?!

It is common knowledge that two subjects people tend to keep out of conversations are religion and politics. I personally do not agree with that, as your political views and religious values make up who you are, but many people think talking about such subjects can create arguments and hurt feelings among even the best of friends. So if I am around people who wish not to talk about such things, I will try to limit myself (or at least I pretend I try to). So unless you freely share who you are voting for, via bumper sticker, button, or flat out tell people, you are generally left alone because most people understand it is your right to vote for whoever you want to. Most people general do not run around asking who you are voting for, because that is rude. However, when people ask you if you are voting and you answer no, it apparently stops being a political matter and people feel as if it is okay to attack you then.

No, I am not voting. Perhaps asking if I was is your lame attempt to find out who I was voting for, but the truth is I have no desire to vote. If you start going on and on about how it is my patriotic duty to vote, I will laugh in your face. If you start going on and on that since I am a woman, it is even more important for me to vote, I might laugh at you and punch you in face at the same time. Apparently if I do not vote, I will undermine the entire women's movement to gain the right to vote. See, I thought a right was something I was allowed to do, but not had to. I have PERMISSION to vote, but it is not something I am required by law to do. So I will exercise my right as an American citizen to not vote. I am very grateful that people fought long and hard to give me the right to vote so when and if I decide one day I will actually vote, I will be able to.

People give me a pathetic "she just doesn't understand" look when I state I am not voting (The same look I get when I tell people I have no desire to have children). If it is none of their business who other people are voting for, why is it any of their business if I am voting or not? Should I have lied and said yes, so we could start talking about YOUR favorite candidate? Is it okay to attack my not voting because since I am not voting, it is no longer a political matter and it is my personal preference?

Just for the record, I live in a state that four years ago the popular vote elected one individual and the Electoral College elected a different person. So yeah, I am not in the frame of mind that my vote DOES count. Perhaps once the Electoral College is done away with, I will feel as if my vote will count. Until then, I feel as if the system is flawed.

Another fun fact is my husband is not voting either. Yet, if both of us did vote, our votes would cancel each other out. So...still not seeing how me not voting is really shocking.

If people are going to make some social rule that people do not talk about political matters, that should cover whether a person votes or not. As the current system is people are voting for the lesser of two evils ANYWAY. I do not feel compelled to vote for the best liar. So, unless you want me to start ranting and raving about why your vote is stupid no matter who you vote for, GET OFF MY BACK!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you. I'm not voting either. My parents can't stand it, but I don't care, because it's my choice to make.

I am hopeful that a group of unhappy non-voters will someday make enough noise so that the mainstream population realizes how flawed the current system is. Until then, I will likely continue my non-voting ways.

Nice blog, by the way. This is the first time I've read it, but I like what I've seen so far. Keep up the good work. :)

Anonymous said...

You Americans make me sad with all this 'Why bother to vote?' talk. So selfish & inward-looking, you people are.

1.There are so many parts of the world where citizens would love to exercise their right to vote but yet are unable to thanks to a suppressive government. And even if we do, the election is often rigged to bring a favourable outcome to the current rulers.

2.Have you any idea how influential the outcome of the US election is on the rest of the world? Your policies will affect the lives of ordinary people who don't even live near the US.

Why are you treating it like it is some kind of popularity vote instead of a serious examination of the policies that could affect the lives of your children and your children's children? If everyone thought like you do, the rest of us in the world would be doomed.

OK, you can start ranting and raving about why anybody's vote is stupid no matter who one votes for.